• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Closest I'll Get

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Closest I'll Get

Have just started to watch High Seas or Alta Mar on Netflix. It is a light hearted Spanish mystery thriller that takes place on a 1940s transatlantic liner sailing from Vigo, Spain to Rio. The onboard sets feature sumptuous wood panelled public areas and suites "inspired by two Art Deco luxury liners from the 1930s, the SS Normandie and the Queen Mary". It was filmed near Madrid in Spanish, with English dubbing and subtitles, in 2018 and 2019. 3 series to date.

Cruising then was a world away from what we now see. I don't think gentlemen wear suits and hats on deck any more, more like vests and trackie bottoms on some ships!

Sadly, I think it is the closest I'll get to a cruise ship this year.

Yes, John, they’re definitely making us suffer with all the cruise programming at the moment but it definitely keeps us interested. Track suits, baseball caps and T shirts / vests seems to be the order of the day now but the cruise lines want to encourage business from a broad range of customers - I completely get that. With limited luggage allowances I can understand why a kilt or a tuxedo is left in the closet. To be fair, I’ve always been one for smart but casual but I still miss wearing the tux on the odd occasion. Try sailing from Galveston in Texas - 🙈🙈 That was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
      Have just started to watch High Seas or Alta Mar on Netflix. It is a light hearted Spanish mystery thriller that takes place on a 1940s transatlantic liner sailing from Vigo, Spain to Rio. The onboard sets feature sumptuous wood panelled public areas and suites "inspired by two Art Deco luxury liners from the 1930s, the SS Normandie and the Queen Mary". It was filmed near Madrid in Spanish, with English dubbing and subtitles, in 2018 and 2019. 3 series to date.

Cruising then was a world away from what we now see. I don't think gentlemen wear suits and hats on deck any more, more like vests and trackie bottoms on some ships!

Sadly, I think it is the closest I'll get to a cruise ship this year.
      That is the closest I'll get to cruising in the bygone era. Not interested at all in dressing for dinner. Smart clothes do not transform average food and one/two courses at dinner more than suffices.

Thank goodness there is a wide choice of cruising styles.

Annie

Comment

Thanks, I'll look out for that.
        2018-
        Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
        NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
        Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
        Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
        Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Considering the fact that I live in jeans and tee-shirts when I’m not in my work uniform I find that I really enjoy the chance to dress up in the evening while on board a ship. It doesn’t even mean full regalia, just a nice sparkly top with my trousers and sandals makes a nice change for me. Perhaps one day we will get the chance to sail on one of the Queens and experience the closest thing to that era (at least on formal evenings) as I know even Cunard has relaxed its dress code ever so slightly. I always look online at nice dresses to see if there’s anything that I would want to try on (in a non-Covid world) but lately most of what I see on the site I look at (TK Maxx 😉) is most definitely skewed towards the working from home brigade. Very comfortable looking, but not my cuppa and definitely not suited to my figure. 😆

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

I like dressing up, but I would ban men from wearing shorts, sandals and white socks.

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
              I like dressing up, but I would ban men from wearing shorts, sandals and white socks.

Especially on formal nights

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Especially on formal nights
                Don't knock it 'til you've.............................

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                  - I completely get that. With limited luggage allowances I can understand why a kilt or a tuxedo is left in the closet. To be fair, I’ve always been one for smart but casual but I still miss wearing the tux on the odd occasion. Try sailing from Galveston in Texas - 🙈🙈 That was interesting.
                  There certainly is a weight problem if you have the full 9 yards and military grade cloth, and everything that goes with it, you actually need a trunk!

I have one that I inherited, but rarely wear it.

As you are aware, for Lowlanders, the kilt is not actually proper dress, rather tartan trews. The Highlanders can have their kilts. I keep threatening to but a pair of trews. One day.

Comment

C4 private island in the Caribbean 7pm - 8pm

MSC davina turns up.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X