• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long could you do a Digital Detox for??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long could you do a Digital Detox for??

Dry January is almost upon us and this set me thinking about what would it be like to be deprived of something close to your heart. The item in our society which most people would miss could probably be their smartphone!! Personally I do not have a smartphone and I must admit to a certain air of inverse snobbery when I recount how it's possible that I can run my life as a Digital Dinosaur .How I gloat when I hear of somebody who uses online banking being scammed out of a few grand. I can see how digital devices can be boon to someone incapacitated or disabled, and face book can be a lifeline for the family friendly.
    However ,despite being a Digital denier, a Digital doubter, a Digital dunce , and not availing myself of any Digital deliveries, I have made my NY resolution the "Purchase of a Smartphone". So how long could you do a Digital Detox for>??? A month? A week ? An hour?? or not at all...

Must admit I would be going stir crazy without my iPad and iPhone, especially during the numerous lockdowns we’ve had. Most of my house is controlled by my iphone and iPad namely, internal and external lighting, heating, security etc, so no digital detox for me in January. Not on Facebook or Instagram.

Comment

I use a PC for work and love the Internet at home.

However, when I go on a two week holiday, I largely 'detox' for the whole two weeks. I take a smartphone, but mainly keep it turned off!

Strangely I don't miss it.
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I couldn't manage without the internet. It's a source of news and opinion from around the world. I also think I need it for saving money, for example searching for the best deals - broadband, internet-only savings accounts, voucher codes and so on. For that, I use a laptop or desktop.

I have the world's worst 'smartphone'... a cheap one bought at Argos. It's hopeless and I use it as little as possible.

I have zero interest in joining Facebook, Twitter and such like. This forum is the only one I've ever joined.

I'm not sure I'm at the stage yet of needing a digital detox, though I could cut back on internet use that has slipped towards aimless browsing, I suppose.

A post-Christmas food detox is another matter!

Comment

Not possible my company works from on line referrals.

Comment

I never wanted a Smartphone, but found that these days you almost HAVE to have one. I bought one
            of the cheapest, mainly so I could keep in touch with OH whilst on a cruise. But I probablyl only
            make a couple of phone calls a month, and similarly receive about the same, as I keep in contact with
            friends and family either by Facebook, Skype, or Messenger, and that works well most of the timel
            But with online banking it seems a necessity to eveb access your account, and to do any transaction
            they have to send you a text message and then you have to fill in online forms via a Card Reader,
            etc. etc. When on a cruise I was quite happy to send back the odd message once a week to say
            everything was OK. Now I can't go anywhere, I am glad to have forums and FB to keep in touch
            with friends and family, so would really miss it now.

Comment

I have a smart phone, but have no idea what it does apart from phone calls and texts, and I'm quite happy for it to stay that way.

Comment

I don't think either of us would consider trying to do without digital technology because we both rely on it.

OH has a network set up from his laptop that interacts with other digital devices, including my laptop, Alexa and our Smart phones. I use whatsapp daily to keep in touch with my family and friends, which often includes video calls. Most of my shopping is done on line these days as I never have enjoyed wandering round shops.
                Jill

Comment

2nd attempt first attempt unapproved

I have been embracing the digital age for many years and have no wish for a Digital Detox in January or any time soon.

I use my iPhone and iPad which sync with one another daily. Have never ever purchased a smartphone, mine have been handed down to me by either my children or grandchildren when they update to the latest models. This Christmas I inherited an iPhone 7 with the latest software, from my 13 year old granddaughter, who inherited her mother’s, who has invested in the latest model.

Very rarely use my smartphone as an actual phone, phone use Is mainly for emergency. I keep in touch with family and friends. via messenger, facebook, what’s app etc on both my iPhone and iPad. Don’t have a monthly contract use pay as you go, £15 lasting me approx 12 months. Like others, smartphones have many uses, controlling the heating, ordering repeat prescriptions via NHS app, taking editing and storing photo’s, storage of info, mini tv, posting on forums, listening to music, etc, etc, the list is endless. It goes everywhere with me, although when out very rarely leaves my pocket.
                  Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 29th December 2020, 05:17 PM.
                  Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

[QUOTE=Delboy, Essex;n1389855]2nd attempt first attempt unapproved

I have been embracing the digital age for many years and have no wish for a Digital Detox in January or any time soon.

I use my iPhone and iPad which sync with one another daily. Have never ever purchased a smartphone, mine have been handed down to me by either my children or grandchildren when they update to the latest models. This Christmas I inherited an iPhone 7 with the latest software, from my 13 year old granddaughter, who inherited her mother’s, who has invested in the latest model.

Very rarely use my smartphone as an actual phone, phone use Is mainly for emergency. I keep in touch with family and friends. via messenger, facebook, what’s app etc on both my iPhone and iPad. Don’t have a monthly contract use pay as you go, £15 lasting me approx 12 months. Like others, smartphones have many uses, controlling the heating, ordering repeat prescriptions via NHS app, taking editing and storing photo’s, storage of info, mini tv, posting on forums, listening to music, etc, etc, the list is endless. It goes everywhere with me, although when out very rarely leaves my pocket.
                    [/QUOT

Hi Delboy..I'm exhausted just reading about your digital life....I admire your commitment and skill level though Regards Stan. It does sound like an addiction though ....have you never considered a detox just to test your strength of character .I do posses a few old model phones which May has handed down to me. She gets a phone given to her every year it seems, handed down by her 3 daughters who are either in the police, married to policemen or both and they seem to get the latest model every year.

Comment

Another post where first on has come up unapproved

Stan

Not an addiction, just a way of life, simples

Example ordering repeat medication prescription.

Old Method visit Doctors, hand in repeat prescription at reception for doctors approval, wait for message on phone from chemist for collection..

New Method, Visit to Doctor's eliminated, log onto NHS app on phone, tick boxes of required medication, log off, await message from chemist for collection.

Wife uses same App on her phone, saves two visits per month to doctors.

At my age I have no wish to test my strength of character🤗😉
                      Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 29th December 2020, 07:09 PM.
                      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I think I have a smartphone..... I just use it for whats app and the very rare ( christmas day ) phone calls it keeps saying i have 25900?? mbs?? to use up, dont know, but its good for telling the time, OH has got what he calls a dull phone!!

Comment

We both use our smartphones for calls, texts and other messagiing, checking prices etc before and during shopping (back when we could go to shops), Technology allows me to keep in touch with family. We were talking the other day about how we had to pay by the minute for long distance calls. Now we can use FaceTime or Whatsapp to talk to family in Uk, Germany and US without any additional charges above our monthly internet contract, and make nationwide phone calls for one phone charge. Our TV isn't smart, but we can stream content on it from our phones or iPads.
                          Now that we are in lockdown I couldn't do without my technology, I would miss my Zoom meetings with my book club, craft group and Friday Happy hour group (bring your own wine!), not to mention the time I spend doing Genealogy research online. No digital detox for me.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                            Another post where first on has come up unapproved

Stan

Not an addiction, just a way of life, simples

Example ordering repeat medication prescription.

Old Method visit Doctors, hand in repeat prescription at reception for doctors approval, wait for message on phone from chemist for collection..

New Method, Visit to Doctor's eliminated, log onto NHS app on phone, tick boxes of required medication, log off, await message from chemist for collection.

Wife uses same App on her phone, saves two visits per month to doctors.

At my age I have no wish to test my strength of character🤗😉
                            I do the same Delboy. I also used the track and trace app this year.
                            Jill

Comment

[QUOTE=cruisewidower, pontefract;n1389699

How I gloat when I hear of somebody who uses online banking being scammed out of a few grand. [/QUOTE]

Why would you gloat about someone else's misfortune? A lot of people have been scammed, particularly through this pandemic, by all sorts of methods. Yes, people should be more careful about giving out personal details, but in the current climate, people have their minds focussed elsewhere, like with vulnerable family members for example.

Why do you want a smartphone for the New Year?

Barb

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X