• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being Realistic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being Realistic

Hi Everyone

With all the talk of a vaccine being very close, bookings on cruises have picked up. My agent said she has been so busy, but a lot of the bookings are for 2022.

So realistically do you see cruising starting again with any urgency? Or do you think it will be late 2021 before they get going again? (I'm talking in the main, I know a few ships have started already).

Once the vaccinations are under way, will cruising just resume like before, or do you think there will still be changes? ........................................Carol

It's not unexpected but earlier today Viking postponed our "freebie" on the inaugural of Viking Venus, our next planned cruise is October, I have to assume that one will go ahead.

John

Comment

I wonder whether cruise lines will want to see a valid vaccination certificate when you book or at least before you board. It's all still down to personal hygiene isn't it? I'll be unlikely to cruise next year, I feel Eurostar or Eurotunnel beckoning!!

Barb

Comment

Here's some good news:

(Reuters) - Regardless of their detectable antibody levels, most COVID-19 survivors are likely to have lasting protection against severe COVID-19 if they become reinfected, thanks to other components of the body's immune response that remember the new coronavirus in different ways, researchers say.

In a study of 185 patients, including 41 who had been infected more than six months earlier, scientists at La Jolla Institute for Immunology in California found that multiple branches of the immune system recognized the novel coronavirus for at least eight months.

For example, memory B cells were more abundant six months after infection than at one month, they reported in a paper posted on bioRxiv ahead of peer review.

The new findings "suggest that the immune system can remember the virus for years, and most people may be protected from severe COVID-19 for a substantial time," said study leaders Shane Crotty and Alessandro Sette.

SOURCE: https://bit.ly/3lJkz2q bioRxiv, online November 16, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
          Hi Everyone

With all the talk of a vaccine being very close, bookings on cruises have picked up. My agent said she has been so busy, but a lot of the bookings are for 2022.

So realistically do you see cruising starting again with any urgency? Or do you think it will be late 2021 before they get going again? (I'm talking in the main, I know a few ships have started already).

Once the vaccinations are under way, will cruising just resume like before, or do you think there will still be changes? ........................................Carol
          Considering that ships’ crews come from all over the world, it all depends on all those countries being able to vaccinate their populations. So it’s not just about us the UK passengers.

But, just a thought, maybe the cruiselines themselves would be prepared to fund and organise the appropriate vaccinations of all their staff on board and elsewhere. Would be very costly but could speed up the start of a rather limited form of cruising again?

I just wonder which and how many ports will be ready to welcome thousands of passengers, or as suggested we’ll be doing ‘nowhere’ cruises for some time to come!
          Last edited by All at sea, Yorks; 20th November 2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post

Considering that ships’ crews come from all over the world, it all depends on all those countries being able to vaccinate their populations. So it’s not just about us the UK passengers.

But, just a thought, maybe the cruiselines themselves would be prepared to fund and organise the appropriate vaccinations of all their staff on board and elsewhere. Would be very costly but could speed up the start of cruising again?
            Which ports are prepared to open up to cruise ships in Q1 or Q2 2021??

CDC has said no cruises longer than 7 days from US ports through November 2021.

Wait and see.

Annie

Comment

Cruise companies can't afford to mess it up.

I am REALLY hoping they have their ducks in a row as I don't want to transfer 2021 cruises, again because if I do, it will be a case of money back as the likelihood is, there'll be no cruise companies to cruise with!

Comment

I’m hoping that once the covid vaccine programme has completed with at least a 70% uptake we will be able to get back to a near as possible normal life. I do think that countries will ask for proof of vaccination before entry.
                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Sorry to be pessimistic, but there are 66 million people in Britain and some 7.8 billion people in the world. Many of these people will want the vaccine. With the sheer scale of what needs to be done, I can't imagine that happening within a few months. Let's think in terms of years!

Apparently there is not even the means as yet, to produce enough glass vials for the world. There would be a glass shortage.

Lets be honest, we cant even make and distribute enough toilet rolls for the UK population, at times!
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

Sorry to be pessimistic, but there are 66 million people in Britain and some 7.8 billion people in the world. Many of these people will want the vaccine. With the sheer scale of what needs to be done, I can't imagine that happening within a few months. Let's think in terms of years!

Apparently there is not even the means as yet, to produce enough glass vials for the world. There would be a glass shortage.

Lets be honest, we cant even make and distribute enough toilet rolls for the UK population, at times!
                    That is exactly what we heard from our PM today. Production of sufficient quantities will take months and distribution will take longer. Then there is the question of who gets priority, front line workers, seniors in care homes, people with pre existing conditions etc. It will be a year or more before those of us who are healthy enough to cruise can expect to reach the front of the line. Meanwhile we will be back in lockdown from Monday for a month at least.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

I think you are right. The logistics of vaccinating most/all are horrendous and I don’t think it will be the panacea we are all hoping for. Apparently the vaccine is only 95% effective so a 2,000 passenger capacity ship sailing at say 50% capacity will have potentially 50 passengers who can be infected and pass it on. Similarly for the crew. It will be impossible to stick to social distancing ashore, particularly if locals have a cavalier attitude to the rules.

One infection will be enough for a country or port to say “you are not coming here” and we will be back to square one with other countries following suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                        Cruise companies can't afford to mess it up.

I am REALLY hoping they have their ducks in a row as I don't want to transfer 2021 cruises, again because if I do, it will be a case of money back as the likelihood is, there'll be no cruise companies to cruise with!
                        I am sure the cruise companies will “have their ducks in a row” and are/will be doing everything possible to make cruising safe as their continuing existence depends on it. It is people who are the problem.

Comment

Well that escalated quickly. Perhaps we should change this forum from a cruising one to places to visit in Britain, as that looks where we will be going for a while! .............................................Carol

Comment

A few months ago the CEO of one of the major cruise lines said he did not expect to see 'normal' cruising return until 'mid 2022 if we're lucky'. I think there will be limited cruising before that but it's nothing that interests me. I hope we are lucky by mid '22. If not I'll wait.
                            Logic will get you from A to B.
                            Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

Well that escalated quickly. Perhaps we should change this forum from a cruising one to places to visit in Britain, as that looks where we will be going for a while! .............................................Carol
                              All travel, domestic and international, affords the opportunity to spread the virus.

Possibly we need domestic travel restrictions for the winter months whilst this vaccination is rolled out. Travel no further than say 5 miles as in Eire.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X