• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I book? V2 - Its so frustrating!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I book? V2 - Its so frustrating!

Ok so now I have got the booking dilemma out of the way with a short uk dept cruise, I am now so frustrated.......

As you know I love a bargain (dont we all). Yesterday saw a deal on Azamara one week cruise, balcony, all inclusive cruise to ports I love from Venice - Croatia, Amalfi to Rome £1349 cruise only. I can get return flight to from relatively local airport for £125 return including bags. In normal circumstances, I would have booked no hesitation.
    But this is too much of a risk to take with so many variables. Independent flights in out of different Airport - fly from Venice return from Rome, I would normally factor in a hotel pre cruse. It only would take one component to alter and the plan could go out of the window.

I just long like others to be able to book but just feel I cant risk it. Do you feel the same?

( And before anyone suggests flight package with Azamara thats a def no no At £714 per person!!! against my own £125 for the flights.)

When and if anything ever gets back to normal will we see bargains like this or will there be so many of us scrambling to get away that the prices will hike up considerably?
    Last edited by Bradbury, Coventry; 28th September 2020, 12:13 PM.

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
    Ok so now I have got the booking dilemma out of the way with a short uk dept cruise, I am now so frustrated.......

As you know I love a bargain (dont we all). Yesterday saw a deal on Azamara one week cruise, balcony, all inclusive cruise to ports I love from Venice - Croatia, Amalfi to Rome £1349 cruise only. I can get return flight to from relatively local airport for £125 return including bags. In normal circumstances, I would have booked no hesitation.
    But this is too much of a risk to take with so many variables. Independent flights in out of different Airport - fly from Venice return from Rome, I would normally factor in a hotel pre cruse. It only would take one component to alter and the plan could go out of the window.

I just long like others to be able to book but just feel I cant risk it. Do you feel the same?

( And before anyone suggests flight package with Azamara thats a def no no At £714 against my own £125 for the flights.)

When and if anything ever gets back to normal will we see bargains like this or will there be so many of us scrambling to get away that the prices will hike up considerably?
    re submitted

No because this is definitely a climate in which our practise of booking cruises and flights together wins out. Hotels are always booked on the basis of cancellation with no loss up to 24hrs before turning up.

I know this is precisely what you didn't want to hear but our booking policy ensures we have a number of cruises to look forward to which, coupled with correct insurance,means booked with no loss if they don't go ahead for one reason or another. It boils down to the basic question, how much does one wish to take a cruise as a holiday. In our case, we really want to cruise so we ensure all boxes are ticked and we know we won't lose out and will be ahead of the game if and when cruise ships start to operate again.

Comment

What is the risk in booking cruise only and resolving the flight predicament later?? Many itineraries will be subject to change.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
        What is the risk in booking cruise only and resolving the flight predicament later?? Many itineraries will be subject to change.

Annie
        The risk is the flights being so unstable at the moment. With airlines in danger of going bust, changing or reducing schedules. At the moment the flights fit in perfectly and are only £65 each way. Book cruise only and nearer the time flight may not fit the bill and prices will be considerably more.

Comment

When April 2020 was cancelled and I had booked my Miami flights, pre and post cruise hotels and cruise all separately. I received all my money back from every separate booking.

I have an Oceania cruise booked for next April. I removed Oceania’s ‘free’ flights and booked our Barcelona rtn flights and 3 night ore cruise hotel for the same price as Oceania’s free flights. My hotel is a refundable booking, the flights and cruise will be future credits or if they cancel refunds. I paid my flights and cruise deposit my CC and the hotel will be paid on arrival. I know if my flights are cancelled and cruise isn’t, or vice versa, I can change date of flights or cruise without penalty.

Personally I’d book both with a CC and if airline or cruiseline go bust you’ll get your money back from your CC provider.
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

The risk is the flights being so unstable at the moment. With airlines in danger of going bust, changing or reducing schedules. At the moment the flights fit in perfectly and are only £65 each way. Book cruise only and nearer the time flight may not fit the bill and prices will be considerably more.
            What is more important the cruise or the bargain price??

I agree there is a huge risk surrounding the viability of the airlines.

Can you arrive at the embarkation port by other means??

Annie

Comment

What is more important the cruise or the bargain price??

I agree there is a huge risk surrounding the viability of the airlines.

Can you arrive at the embarkation port by other means??

Annie
              The price! (I could afford Azamara) but wont pay their highly inflated prices - usually circa £3000 - £4000

Comment

The price! (I could afford Azamara) but wont pay their highly inflated prices - usually circa £3000 - £4000
                Right ship right price worth a punt wherever it goes.

With you on the flight risk but I could consider the cheap ones disposable.

Annie any cancelled cruise flights you want to talk about?

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

Right ship right price worth a punt wherever it goes.

With you on the flight risk but I could consider the cheap ones disposable.

Annie any cancelled cruise flights you want to talk about?
                  Disposable they may be but what if I ended up with a cruise booked and no suitable flights to fall in with the requirements. I wouldnt pay the £1500 Azamara are asking for the flights (£750pp)

Comment

Disposable they may be but what if I ended up with a cruise booked and no suitable flights to fall in with the requirements. I wouldnt pay the £1500 Azamara are asking for the flights (£750pp)
                    I am not surprised.

Have you looked at BA open jaw arrangement ?

It has worked for me in the past and the pricing, on occasion, not much difference in the pricing of budget airlines.

Annie

Comment

I am not surprised.

Have you looked at BA open jaw arrangement ?

It has worked for me in the past and the pricing, on occasion, not much difference in the pricing of budget airlines.

Annie
                      We booked our April 21 Barcelona flights with BA as after I used my avios points they were cheaper than all the other airlines. The only downfall is that instead of an approx 3hr flight our flights are just over 5 hrs which is always a problem when flying from Scotland with BA, Virgin etc.
                      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Until we have some sort of green light to proceed or a vaccine is available, I would rather sit tight and accumulate my savings ready for when the time is right.
                        Once things pick up I'm sure there will be plenty of options available and decent prices too. We are currently making do with a few long weekends away in the UK in areas where the spread is lower. Sadly, we have just abandoned a long weekend in Liverpool and will now head south instead. Had a great two nights in Dartmouth followed by two in Plymouth and it's great seeing some of the places in our own neck of the woods while potentially helping UK businesses to survive.
                        www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post
                          Until we have some sort of green light to proceed or a vaccine is available, I would rather sit tight and accumulate my savings ready for when the time is right.
                          Once things pick up I'm sure there will be plenty of options available and decent prices too. We are currently making do with a few long weekends away in the UK in areas where the spread is lower. Sadly, we have just abandoned a long weekend in Liverpool and will now head south instead. Had a great two nights in Dartmouth followed by two in Plymouth and it's great seeing some of the places in our own neck of the woods while potentially helping UK businesses to survive.
                          We are doing the same. Already had a night in Windsor with a visit to a lovely town called Marlow on the way down, Seaside trips to Hunstanton. A two night stay in Hereford with visits to Ludlow, Evesham and Ross on Wye. We have planned trips coming up for Winchester and the Cotwolds, then in the new year our annual pilgrimage to Chester combined with Liverpool.
                          Thank goodness for Travel zoo and Groupon and guaranteed refunds if trip doesn't go ahead.

Comment

Done a couple of trips and find 5 nights seems to hit the spot with the travel, places are being very careful, the towns, eating/drinking out spots have been quiet enough to be socially distanced with no problems.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X