• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I book?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

John

This is an extract from a rather long cruise review on Facebook from a recent MSC cruise.

We had to take out the MSC covid insurance at 18€ each this covered the cruise being cancelled if you tested positive or if you did while on board and had to go into quarantine. We also had to have a negative covid test no more than 72 hours before boarding. We boarded Sunday 13th so our test was done the Thursday afternoon. Everything very strict you have health forms also to print off , fill out and take with you as well as your covid results.
    We were given a 10am registration time. Says on there that is your hour to arrive not before not after. We arrived at the port terminal. Our test results were asked for straight away. Told all ok procede to the terminal. We had papers check again and a temperature check. We walked 20 meters further again papers checked. In the terminal again papers checked this was for the health forms. Procede to the next part of the terminal where there were people waiting. We sat down obviously respecting the social distancing in place and the mandatorymask wearing. We saw small groups of people being moved me being curious wondered what was going on and saw people in hazmat suits. I took a photo to show my husband. Dont be like me and take a photo 🙈 you get told off. I deleted said photo instantly as I said was just to show my husband. Eventually we were told to go forward. This was where another covid test was done. A throat swab and nasal swab. We were then told to follow the signs which was to another room. Waiting there less than 2 mins moved on again. To another room, asked for papers again and told procede to check in. The British passports did make the them frown and ask a manager but everything was fine. We were given check in number 6. We had about 16 people in our waiting group. Boarding started at midday. Number one went on quickly. But number 2 didn't move. Number 3 were called. Then saw a lady pulled from number 2 and taken out a side door. She return 20 mins later. Group 2 boarded. Then jumped to group 5. Group number 4 looking around. 4 people were pulled out of this group. They didn't return. We were waiting it make you nervous. Then 2 young guys pull from our group didn't return and then we were called. We were on board by 1.30pm rooms were ready.

’As many of you are aware MSC are currently only available for Schengen residents. We are British but we live and are permanent residents in a Schengen country and have been for over 25 years. Before booking we got permission to travel and told what proof of residency to bring with us.

Masks are to be worn on board when moving about the ship. Once sitting at a bar, eating or lounging at the pool no masks needed.
    Masks were needed if you were participating in the activities and when dancing.
    Excursions can only be official MSC ones and you can not leave the excursion or you will be refused boarding. No getting round this they are the current rules in place. If you go on an excursion in Malta you will be required to have another covid test on board to enter Italy. We were given certificates to say we hadn't been ashore in Malta.

The theatre requires you wear your masks and respect the distancing every other seat has a red cross on it. It doesn't matter if your all in a family or couple they don't want you sitting together. During evening shows this isnt really enforced but we played bingo in there 1 afternoon and we were asked to separate even though we were together. Lots questioned this rule but she said yes I know its silly but this is what we have been told they are the rules. Shows have to be booked due to the reduced numbers allowed in there.
    We were given masks daily in our cabin 2 each daily. The room is done twice a day still.’
    Hi Delboy,
    Our next cruise, a postponed Baltic cruise, is now not until August 2021. If such procedures as described above are still in place by the time we have to pay our balance in May I can't see us going. It sounds more like checking in to prison (not that I speak from experience) than boarding a cruise ship and once on board not much fun if wearing masks is compulsory, sitting apart etc., etc. Presumably the MSC covid insurance will pay out if banned from boarding. I guess a private test is required as the NHS won't want to be testing people showing no symptoms and going on holiday.

Comment

The UK MSC FB fan page is quite good to keep track of what's going on with MSC,
      (Tim & Andy used to post here more)

See it for yourself.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4FIFwcFV2w

Comment

Thanks for all you input , some interesting replies.

Its only a short 4 night with two ports one of them the Chanel islands. Not too bothered if we had to stay onboard. We've done a few long weekends with hotel breaks recently and felt as safe as we thought we could be given the circumstances. I'm looking at it as a change of scenery rather than home/work/home etc.
        I think its the insurance bit that been hampering me atm but I have just rechecked the provider and see that on my annual ins they have reinstated covid cover as of 14 July albeit rather limited but better than nothing.
        I cant see it being the same - we like dancing - that wont happen - Im not sure how they will cope with distancing in the bars/lounges theatre etc but then this is when I think surely they wont sail with a full ship?

Comment

Hi.
          The current "Best Guess" at a vaccine is April time 2021, but that's more likely than not to slip. Even then there will be a priority programme for jabs. Even if the vaccine is available then will all the ships crew have one, and what about the ports of visit?
          Big risk so early in 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Carnival Corp. had a cash injection which means that hopefully, they can last for another 12 mths with a “zero revenue scenario'' according to Arnold Donald last June. After that, who knows.
            That's amazing to know, particularly as Carnival was so very successful before all of this Covid 19 buying more and more ships. You have only got to look at their offices in Southampton to see how much they were worth. It just shows you that the bigger they are, the bigger the fall. It is amazing to think that a microscopic virus could wreak the devastation on the world this has done

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
              Thanks for all you input , some interesting replies.

Its only a short 4 night with two ports one of them the Chanel islands. Not too bothered if we had to stay onboard. We've done a few long weekends with hotel breaks recently and felt as safe as we thought we could be given the circumstances. I'm looking at it as a change of scenery rather than home/work/home etc.
              I think its the insurance bit that been hampering me atm but I have just rechecked the provider and see that on my annual ins they have reinstated covid cover as of 14 July albeit rather limited but better than nothing.
              I cant see it being the same - we like dancing - that wont happen - Im not sure how they will cope with distancing in the bars/lounges theatre etc but then this is when I think surely they wont sail with a full ship?
              Well are you booking it? 🤷🏻*♀️
              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

That's amazing to know, particularly as Carnival was so very successful before all of this Covid 19 buying more and more ships. You have only got to look at their offices in Southampton to see how much they were worth. It just shows you that the bigger they are, the bigger the fall. It is amazing to think that a microscopic virus could wreak the devastation on the world this has done
                Interesting comment.

My take is the company is so successful, it can weather the storm now until next June without anymore intervention. How many companies would still be alive after all these months with zero income and costs of hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars a month to cover?
                As I said, hopefully [my term by the way] this will see them through to a resumption of, maybe limited, services again.

As I also said, [my term again] fingers crossed.

Comment

Well I took the plunge and booked.
                  Whether it will come off or not I dont know but its something to look forward too with min financial loss. If we decide not to risk it before full balance due then we could potentially loose £75 quid each or have it as FCC
                  What was a nice surprise was my agent looked up my loyalty membership and said did I realise we each had $200 obc in hand!! So what a nice bonus $400 that we weren't expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                    Well I took the plunge and booked.
                    Whether it will come off or not I dont know but its something to look forward too with min financial loss. If we decide not to risk it before full balance due then we could potentially loose £75 quid each or have it as FCC
                    What was a nice surprise was my agent looked up my loyalty membership and said did I realise we each had $200 obc in hand!! So what a nice bonus $400 that we weren't expecting.
                    Brilliant and even better with the OBC you didn’t know you had, Win win!
                    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X