• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I book?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I book?

Despite saying for months no way am I cruising again until all this Covid is out of the way, I am now tempted by a deal.
    My dilemma what should I do? Its for April next year

The price is right, and its similar to a cruise we cancelled for this year. Its on a very big ship lots of pax, I assume it wont be at full capacity
    My annual travel insurance doesn't cover Coronavirus. So I would have to purchase a single trip cover with some form of Covid cover

The deposit is £150 with balance due 60 days prior but we can cancel upto 30 days prior and receive a FCC and partial refund so I am thinking dont buy extra Travel insurance until I am near having to pay in full at the risk of losing nothing. On the other hand - then what happens if we have a temperature and are denied boarding - the blurb in the Travel Ins says if you are denied boarding due a a positive test - what if one of us has a temperature but test negative and its too late ship is gone.

I really dont know what to do and am trying to think it through logically - anyone care to throw anything into the mix

Go with your gut feeling Bradbury. You’ve nothing to loose.

I’ve an Oceania cruise booked for April 21 and in my head everything will be fine and it will go ahead. 🤞🏻🤞🏻 I know it’s a small ship approx 684 pax so I’ll feel safer.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Primarily 3 issues:

1. Will the UK government rescinded the ban on cruising.
      2. Will the ports be open??
      3. Will CDC have withdrawn the no sail order??

Annie

Comment

If it's a deal which really grabs you, go for it but check you're insured before paying the full amount. If the FCO still have their no cruise embargo, then you'll get the fare refunded anyway.

Comment

Decisions, decisions, decisions, not easy nowadays, is it ?. I can understand your dilemma. Have you tried contacting your annual travel insurance provider to ask if they will provide the Covid cover at an additional charge. The FCC should provide some piece of mind if there‘s an issue with the itinerary or you change your mind . My main concern would be the travel insurance. I think you need to have that in place at the time of booking in order to guarantee cover 🤔. The temperature issue is always going to be a concern and one that cannot be guaranteed. You just need to base that on the balance of probabilities. We had a similar issue in February when Covid was just raising its ugly head I’m the States and we were temp checked in Miami. Thankfully, we were good to go. Good luck. I haven’t taken the plunge yet.

I’ve just watched a YouTube video and the presenters were giving a Covid / CDC update from several cruise lines. Apparently you must now take an official cruise tour / excursion to get off the ship. No wandering about the port on your own. That was mentioned for Costa. That’s going to be expensive. Go to 09.29 mins for this specific update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzfeTpjdaeM

Comment

We have a Canaries cruise for April 2021. I think we will be moving it to 2022 before December 2020 when the balance is due. I cannot see cruises going ahead safely in April next year the way things are going.

The one we have after that is one we moved to October 2021 and not sure if that one will be OK to go ahead. I think cruise ship will be stuck in port for many months yet and when they are allowed to cruise, it will only take one outbreak onboard for it to all fall apart again.

Carnival was riding high before all this and if you had an issue, it was tough, they never responded to any problems we had. I am sure they will not be so disregarding of the customers they may have left after all this is over.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
              We have a Canaries cruise for April 2021. I think we will be moving it to 2022 before December 2020 when the balance is due. I cannot see cruises going ahead safely in April next year the way things are going.

The one we have after that is one we moved to October 2021 and not sure if that one will be OK to go ahead. I think cruise ship will be stuck in port for many months yet and when they are allowed to cruise, it will only take one outbreak onboard for it to all fall apart again.

Carnival was riding high before all this and if you had an issue, it was tough, they never responded to any problems we had. I am sure they will not be so disregarding of the customers they may have left after all this is over.
              Carnival Corp. had a cash injection which means that hopefully, they can last for another 12 mths with a “zero revenue scenario'' according to Arnold Donald last June. After that, who knows.

Comment

I moved a cruise from May to April, I really hope it goes ahead. You should know well in advance if cruising is suspended again, then you can get a refund if you prefer.

If it's a good deal, I'd go for it, Insurance companies are now starting to advertise with the Covid cover now, so hopefully you should be covered .................................................. ..........Carol

Comment

My view is no new money going to what is a speculative cruise.

​​​​​​
                  ​​​​​​.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                    My view is no new money going to what is a speculative cruise.

​​​​​​
                    ​​​​​​.
                    I agree. I think cruise offers at the moment are just empty promises. Cruise lines can't offer any certainty, nor even be sure of what life on board is going to be like. I won't book anything at least until I have back the £2k I'm owed for flights we should have been on next month.

Comment

I have a cruised booked for June 2021 transferred from this year, will decide if I go when I know what restrictions are in place prior to boarding and on board.

For example recent MSC cruise passengers were not allowed to leave ship on their own, only on ships excursions.

If I had not original booked prior to Covid, I personally would not be considering cruising until there was a much clearer picture of what future cruising entails.
                      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I wouldn’t for April tbh

as for the new suggestions it could be cruise ship excursions only that would be a deal breaker for me! I don’t want to be herded around at quadruple the price I could do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                          I have a cruised booked for June 2021 transferred from this year, will decide if I go when I know what restrictions are in place prior to boarding and on board.

For example recent MSC cruise passengers were not allowed to leave ship on their own, only on ships excursions.

If I had not original booked prior to Covid, I personally would not be considering cruising until there was a much clearer picture of what future cruising entails.
                          We do our research beforehand and decide what we want to see, to the limit of our legs (sadly it comes to all of us!). We then mooch around slowly stopping at places of interest and moving on when we want to.

Listening to a tour guide spending 15 minutes describing something to 15 places of decimals when the brain can only hold a minutes worth holds no interest to us. Apart from anything else our backs won't let us stand still too long.

Comment

Hi Bradbury
                            I am looking to book an April cruise.
                            Its with Celebrity so I can use its ‘Book with Confidence’ programme.
                            I will use a FCC for the deposit,,,the final payment date is in February.
                            If I don’t think I fancy it I will cancel and keep the FCC,,,if they cancel before,it’s the same.

If I pay final payment and still don’t fancy it under the Book with Confidence rules I can cancel up to 48 hrs before and get 100% FCC.

if the latter happens I will move to a October cruise or mid summer Baltic cruise.

If I though I would never want to cruise with Celebrity again those plans wouldn’t apply,,and it would be a different question,,if I couldn’t cancel without penalty I wouldn’t book it.

JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

We do our research beforehand and decide what we want to see, to the limit of our legs (sadly it comes to all of us!). We then mooch around slowly stopping at places of interest and moving on when we want to.

Listening to a tour guide spending 15 minutes describing something to 15 places of decimals when the brain can only hold a minutes worth holds no interest to us. Apart from anything else our backs won't let us stand still too long.

John

This is an extract from a rather long cruise review on Facebook from a recent MSC cruise.

We had to take out the MSC covid insurance at 18€ each this covered the cruise being cancelled if you tested positive or if you did while on board and had to go into quarantine. We also had to have a negative covid test no more than 72 hours before boarding. We boarded Sunday 13th so our test was done the Thursday afternoon. Everything very strict you have health forms also to print off , fill out and take with you as well as your covid results.
                              We were given a 10am registration time. Says on there that is your hour to arrive not before not after. We arrived at the port terminal. Our test results were asked for straight away. Told all ok procede to the terminal. We had papers check again and a temperature check. We walked 20 meters further again papers checked. In the terminal again papers checked this was for the health forms. Procede to the next part of the terminal where there were people waiting. We sat down obviously respecting the social distancing in place and the mandatorymask wearing. We saw small groups of people being moved me being curious wondered what was going on and saw people in hazmat suits. I took a photo to show my husband. Dont be like me and take a photo 🙈 you get told off. I deleted said photo instantly as I said was just to show my husband. Eventually we were told to go forward. This was where another covid test was done. A throat swab and nasal swab. We were then told to follow the signs which was to another room. Waiting there less than 2 mins moved on again. To another room, asked for papers again and told procede to check in. The British passports did make the them frown and ask a manager but everything was fine. We were given check in number 6. We had about 16 people in our waiting group. Boarding started at midday. Number one went on quickly. But number 2 didn't move. Number 3 were called. Then saw a lady pulled from number 2 and taken out a side door. She return 20 mins later. Group 2 boarded. Then jumped to group 5. Group number 4 looking around. 4 people were pulled out of this group. They didn't return. We were waiting it make you nervous. Then 2 young guys pull from our group didn't return and then we were called. We were on board by 1.30pm rooms were ready.

’As many of you are aware MSC are currently only available for Schengen residents. We are British but we live and are permanent residents in a Schengen country and have been for over 25 years. Before booking we got permission to travel and told what proof of residency to bring with us.

Masks are to be worn on board when moving about the ship. Once sitting at a bar, eating or lounging at the pool no masks needed.
                              Masks were needed if you were participating in the activities and when dancing.
                              Excursions can only be official MSC ones and you can not leave the excursion or you will be refused boarding. No getting round this they are the current rules in place. If you go on an excursion in Malta you will be required to have another covid test on board to enter Italy. We were given certificates to say we hadn't been ashore in Malta.

The theatre requires you wear your masks and respect the distancing every other seat has a red cross on it. It doesn't matter if your all in a family or couple they don't want you sitting together. During evening shows this isnt really enforced but we played bingo in there 1 afternoon and we were asked to separate even though we were together. Lots questioned this rule but she said yes I know its silly but this is what we have been told they are the rules. Shows have to be booked due to the reduced numbers allowed in there.
                              We were given masks daily in our cabin 2 each daily. The room is done twice a day still.’
                              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X