• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My very own Cruise Ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My very own Cruise Ship

Hi Everyone

Carrying on with the theme from the last thread. You've won lots of money, helped out family, friends and others, and have decided to buy yourself one of the cruise ships that are now on sale!

What sort of ship would you have? Traditional with a promenade deck, and more or less how ships are today. Or would you do something completely different? Would you have a target age group, or be open to all? Would you have formal dining, or all buffet. (Obviously this is all make believe, so no Covid).

What would you call her? .................................................. ............................Carol

Hi Carol
    They're being sold for a reason..up keep will be outstripping income.
    There comes a time when all things become unviable and ships are no different.

If you want it as a plaything and can afford maintenance, crew etc why would you buy an old tub when you could probably have one built to your own specifications.

Garf

Comment

I have no desire to own a ship, but the idea of keeping a certain cabin available 24/7 on my favourite ship, is quite appealing. Then I can come and go as I please.

Comment

A modern decent luxury yacht would cost a lot more than some of the tubs up for sale.

By going bigger you could probably make it pay for itself by filling it with pax and live in your private zone.

The big boys are offloading because their operational ships need to pay for the 10%+ interest on a few $Billion as well as the corporate wages.and the high

The CMV ships are not theirs, the creditors of the owners are forcing the sale.

Annie has enough relatives to fill a ship and call it one household.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
          I have no desire to own a ship, but the idea of keeping a certain cabin available 24/7 on my favourite ship, is quite appealing. Then I can come and go as I please.
          A good idea Mrs M,

Personally, as my favourite ship would be too costly to maintain and if money was no object; I would probably go for a cabin on The World.

Like you, I could then come and go as I please.

We can all dream can't we?
          Jill

Comment

The World is seriously expensive the annual fees would be more than reservation of a reasonable cabin on the big ships.

Comment

I like this one:

https://youtu.be/Ejbp_3A484c
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I had a small cabin cruiser once. Probably the nearest I'll ever be to owning a cruise ship. We just didn't use it, so sold it. We'd much rather hire a boat, or pay to go on a cruise ship.

Comment

I think if money were no object then I would want to be able to cruise a few times a year on Silhouette. I love the ship and the crew as well as the facilities. As others have said, the cost of upkeep would be daunting, but being able to go somewhere on a cruise whenever I want sounds amazing! I do understand why the celebrities hire or buy privileges yachts as they are under constant surveillance and scrutiny by any lurking paps or anyone with a camera phone.

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

https://www.superyachttimes.com/yach...moura-for-sale

This one is for sale if anyone has got a few hundred spare million. We saw Lady Moura in Monaco once and we have never forgotten her. The name is apparently in 18ct gold lettering!
                    The entrance to Lady Moura was being guarded by 2 very big and burly security men with radio communication. The people onboard seemed to be having a very good time.

I think I would need to have a refit inside though as some of it is not to my taste - a bit too dark and grim decorations in some of the rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

This one is for sale if anyone has got a few hundred spare million. We saw Lady Moura in Monaco once and we have never forgotten her. The name is apparently in 18ct gold lettering!
                      The entrance to Lady Moura was being guarded by 2 very big and burly security men with radio communication. The people onboard seemed to be having a very good time.

I think I would need to have a refit inside though as some of it is not to my taste - a bit too dark and grim decorations in some of the rooms.
                      Apparently the lettering for "Lady Moura" on the side of the yacht is solid 24ct gold, not 18ct as previously stated. Her worth in 2010 was estimated as $250 million.

Perhaps if we all had a whip round we could all manage it and then we could have a Forum yacht!

Comment

Some of it is amazing, and other bits look horrible, I'd certainly need to modernise some of it!! .................................................. ........Carol

Comment

Yachts - to me - need masts and sails to qualify for the term. The yacht on the extreme left is Beroë - I used to sail on her as a teenager (it belonged to my friend's parents). Built on the Isle of Bute to a GL Watson design in 1887 it is still sailing today and is on the British Historic Ships Register. Over 51 ft. overall and displacing 9 tonnes it had a very fine entry (as was the custom) and a maximum beam of just over 7 ft. The bowsprit was about 14 ft. long which was just dandy for moving lesser craft out of the way!

Wonderful passages on the West coast of Scotland - fond memories. I have a large copy of this print in our home - very evocative of a time long since past (although only taken a few years ago - 1997). They are becalmed whilst participating in the Osea Island Race in the River Blackwater, Essex.

LMM

Photograph courtesy of Den Phillips.

6CABA6EA-63DC-45B5-AF19-C22557A992D4.jpeg

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Apparently the lettering for "Lady Moura" on the side of the yacht is solid 24ct gold, not 18ct as previously stated. Her worth in 2010 was estimated as $250 million.

Perhaps if we all had a whip round we could all manage it and then we could have a Forum yacht!

We saw her in Palma in 2018 whilst on a Silhouette cruise..Garf

PA184577.JPG

PA184578.JPG
                            Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; Yesterday, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Nearest we got to a superyacht was drooling over ''Topaz'' whilst moored up along side but at a distance, in Muscat.

Now been renamed A+ which is rather apt!

If I win an enormous amount on the lottery, I'll book out loads of QG cabins on QV and we can have a forum cruise for a week or two. No flying so Mr and Mrs Garf can join in, just local ports i.e. Britain and or Fjords.

How's that for generosity!!!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X