• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would You Go

Interesting topic raised on Facebook. If the cruise lines started again and a Covid19 vaccine had not been developed would you chance going on a cruise.

Do we exist or do we live. That is a point only individuals can answer and for us, if the FCO lift their restrictions, yes, we will go, vaccine or no vaccine.

Whilst I don't deny the severity of this virus, I recognise ''we'' are beginning to get a handle on it. I'm in the ''life must go on'' sector of society and armed with masks, anti bac stuff and plenty of handcream for when we wash our hands every hour, we're in!

Comment

We live life as normal as possible but doubt I would go on a cruise before a vaccine is found, but will see when our June 2021 balance of payment is due.

Would also depend on what other restrictions there were such as wearing of masks etc,
      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Even if a vaccine is developed will it be 100%. Some that have the annual flu jab still get the flu.

Of those entitled to a free annual jab only 75% have it. So even if you have a coronavirus vaccine jab if it is not 100% you may still get the virus from someone who hasn't had the jab even if it is available. Yes the odds are diminished but still a chance.

How long and how much to vaccinate all 67 million of us?

Comment

I would definitely go given that cruise lines are dictating the rules to keep passengers and crew safe.

I want to enjoy life as much as we can, whilst we still can. Vaccine or no vaccine, I will not be afraid to carry on with the present restrictions in place.
          Jill

Comment

It would depend on many things. Conditions on board would be a major factor, and things like wearing a mask most of the time, ship's excursions only, lack of sun beds because of distancing, arrangements for eating, cost and availability of insurance,FCO advice regarding the destination would all be factors. Cruising probably won't be how it used to be, and I can't imagine wanting to spend a large amount of money on what would, in effect, be second best. We have just had a UK based land holiday in a charming, comfortable cottage, and dined in some very good restaurants all with relatively few restrictions, very relaxed and no hassle with flying etc. Why bother cruising?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
              Even if a vaccine is developed will it be 100%. Some that have the annual flu jab still get the flu.

Of those entitled to a free annual jab only 75% have it. So even if you have a coronavirus vaccine jab if it is not 100% you may still get the virus from someone who hasn't had the jab even if it is available. Yes the odds are diminished but still a chance.

Could it be.....No vaccine certificate, no cruise? Bit like yellow fever in some countries. Medical exemption would require proof. Just a thought!

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                It would depend on many things. Conditions on board would be a major factor, and things like wearing a mask most of the time, ship's excursions only, lack of sun beds because of distancing, arrangements for eating, cost and availability of insurance,FCO advice regarding the destination would all be factors. Cruising probably won't be how it used to be, and I can't imagine wanting to spend a large amount of money on what would, in effect, be second best. We have just had a UK based land holiday in a charming, comfortable cottage, and dined in some very good restaurants all with relatively few restrictions, very relaxed and no hassle with flying etc. Why bother cruising?
                Why bother cruising?? For me to see parts of the world difficult to access by other means. However I appreciate not everyone thinks like that.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

I am surprised by your attitude.

A nephew is working with a Pharma company in Australia involved in the Oxford/Astrazeneca Vaccine project.

They plan to produce 60 million doses for Australia and he remains cautiously upbeat that a vaccine could be found by the end of the year.

Even though I am eligible for the free annual flu jab, I have never taken it simply because I have never experienced Flu.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Why bother cruising?? For me to see parts of the world difficult to access by other means. However I appreciate not everyone thinks like that.

Annie
                    I wouldn't disagree with you Annie, but having been fortunate enough to have cruised in many parts of the world and seen pretty much what we're interested in, we had reached the point of the ship being our destination. As long as it's sunny and hot, we're not too bothered where it goes. So you can see why an inferior "destination" because of restrictions is less appealing.

Comment

I am surprised by your attitude.

A nephew is working with a Pharma company in Australia involved in the Oxford/Astrazeneca Vaccine project.

They plan to produce 60 million doses for Australia and he remains cautiously upbeat that a vaccine could be found by the end of the year.

Even though I am eligible for the free annual flu jab, I have never taken it simply because I have never experienced Flu.

Annie
                      Seems an odd way of looking at it. Trust me, you don't want flu. I mean real flu, not man flu. Last time my otherwise fit and health wife had it, it knocked her for six for well over a month. I'm very happy to have the flu jab even though it's not 100% successful, and I think I'd feel the same about a Covid jab.

Comment

I would go, I would have gone to Florida if the flight hadn't been cancelled.

I am not having the vaccine unless it's made compulsory. Sorry, it takes years to develop a vaccine, this has been a few months and they are almost ready? I'll pass, thanks ........................................Carol

Comment

Annie
                          The ship has never been the destination for us. Cruising is a convenient way to see otherwise difficult or expensive to combine places. I think our future travels will be land based, at least until we are no longer able to manage complex journeys.

I am confident that a vaccine will be found, but it would take a very special itinerary to tempt us onto a ship.

Sheila

Comment

Seems an odd way of looking at it. Trust me, you don't want flu. I mean real flu, not man flu. Last time my otherwise fit and health wife had it, it knocked her for six for well over a month. I'm very happy to have the flu jab even though it's not 100% successful, and I think I'd feel the same about a Covid jab.
                            Hi Peter

I don't have much going for me but I am blessed with a very strong immune system. As part of a large family, when one of my siblings fell ill and someone had to share a bedroom with her - that task was ALWAYS given to me. Even family GP commented upon it. I attribute it partly to being an outdoor toddler who loved playing in quarries and building sites - I know not allowed nowadays

I can't remember the last time I had a cold and I have never had the flu.

TBH I would only opt for the COVID 19 vaccine if required for International Travel.

In the interim, I'll keep taking my vitamin D and count my blessings.

Annie

Comment

I wouldn't disagree with you Annie, but having been fortunate enough to have cruised in many parts of the world and seen pretty much what we're interested in, we had reached the point of the ship being our destination. As long as it's sunny and hot, we're not too bothered where it goes. So you can see why an inferior "destination" because of restrictions is less appealing.
                              Totally understand your POV but I am very nosy

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X