• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no cruising for me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to a local Café yesterday, for the first time since lockdown.

The waitress said it was very hard work: they has to clean the kitchen every night now and clean all the table and wipe all the menus etc. every night.

I rest my case!

(Obviously washing hands with soap is a novelty for many, giving the empty shelves of cleaning products recently.)
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 13th July 2020, 08:29 AM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

The waitress said is
      t was very hard work: they has to clean the kitchen every night now and clean all the table and wipe all the menus etc. every night.

I rest my case!

(Obviously washing hands with soap is a novelty for many, giving the empty shelves of cleaning products recently.)
      Hmm, Fawlty Towers Kipper and the Corpse comes to mind!

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

The waitress said is
        t was very hard work: they has to clean the kitchen every night now and clean all the table and wipe all the menus etc. every night.

I rest my case!

This is what we’re up against - numbskulls.

Comment

Very interesting all your views. We have been avid cruisers for very many years, on lots of different Ships, the highlight on the first day of boarding always a joy even if you have sailed many times before on the same ship.
          Our last cruise was in March this year was absolutely wonderful, even though the news re other Ships around the world was very distressing, we were glad we were on a very clean Ship with everybody being sensible and the staff and cleanliness amazing. Yes, unfortunately our holiday was abruptly stopped and we had to fly home early because of lock down etc.. but the good memories of that last cruise will stay with us forever.

Will it be our last cruise?, just not sure, next one should be in September, but today I am going to cancel. With a husband who is on the vulnerable list, we think its too soon too take any chances. Who would have thought a year ago we would all be in this situation
          sigpic
          Wen

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I am curious why??

If by wearing a mask, the virus is suppressed more quickly, why wouldn't you wear a mask??

It is not about ME, it is about WE

I am missing something obviously.

Annie
            Hi, I've been reading comments on another forum about making mask wearing compulsory and they were mostly very negative, with people saying they wouldn't wear one. I don't know why. I will continue to wear a mask in shops etc as I feel safer.

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post

Hi, I've been reading comments on another forum about making mask wearing compulsory and they were mostly very negative, with people saying they wouldn't wear one. I don't know why. I will continue to wear a mask in shops etc as I feel safer.

Barb
              Hi Barb
              In town this morning I noticed it was people wearing masks who were ignoring distancing,,,they think wearing a mask makes them immune.

I actually told one guy who almost pushed my out of the way to grab something of a shelf,,,”Excuse me...distance” he said “It’s OK I have a mask on”.

JC
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Barb
                Hi Barb

I have read similar comments. I would rather not wear a mask but I do.

Was there not a similar backlash to wearing seat belts ?

Annie

Comment

I am an avid cruiser . but am not cruising again until next May, and ony then if all precautions are put into place, I am travelling with my nine year old GD, so have to be sure we are not at risk. I ecpect a lot of restrictions will be put in place] but fingers crossed it will be safe to sail. We ae lucky we can spend the summer on the beaches , the weather never bothered us .I have also been looking at the round Britain cruises , the only problem now is insurance cover !! CG
                  Last edited by cornish girl, falmouth; 15th July 2020, 08:52 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                    Hi Barb
                    In town this morning I noticed it was people wearing masks who were ignoring distancing,,,they think wearing a mask makes them immune.

I actually told one guy who almost pushed my out of the way to grab something of a shelf,,,”Excuse me...distance” he said “It’s OK I have a mask on”.

JC
                    Hi JC

I have found that generally people wearing masks tend to stick to distancing rules, but sadly, there are exceptions. I actively avoid getting close to others in shops etc and walking to our local village.

Barb

Comment

Hi Barb

I have read similar comments. I would rather not wear a mask but I do.

Was there not a similar backlash to wearing seat belts ?

Annie
                      Yes, there was in the beginning, as it seemed such an alien concept. I remember a lot of people thought that in the case of an accident, you could be trapped in the car by a seat belt. I think that the TV adverts saying " your child could kill you" or words to that effect, and then showed a parent driving and doing an emergency stop, and the child in back seat hurtling forward and pushing the parent against the windscreen were quite shocking. Those adverts were shown when back seat belt laws came into being.

Barb

Comment

Yes, there was in the beginning, as it seemed such an alien concept. I remember a lot of people thought that in the case of an accident, you could be trapped in the car by a seat belt. I think that the TV adverts saying " your child could kill you" or words to that effect, and then showed a parent driving and doing an emergency stop, and the child in back seat hurtling forward and pushing the parent against the windscreen were quite shocking. Those adverts were shown when back seat belt laws came into being.

Barb
                        Hi Barb

Despite the inconsistent messaging, I think RUK will move to compulsory mask wearing in shops.

We have several scientists in the family and you don't want to start them om the subject.

Annie

Comment

Hi Barb

Despite the inconsistent messaging, I think RUK will move to compulsory mask wearing in shops.

We have several scientists in the family and you don't want to start them om the subject.

Annie
                          Hi Annie

I hope they do. When lockdown occurred I was working part-time at a garden centre. I was furloughed and agreed to go back in May as long as I was happy with the safety precautions in place. ( I was also planning to retire early June, which they knew). I went back for 3 weeks and all precautions had been put in place. However, some of the public were unbelievable in that they refused to distance and were verbally abusive to till staff. I've been working long enough with the public to give back as good as I get, but found it very disheartening that even though people desperately wanted to go garden centres, they were prepared to disrespect and endanger staff by not adhering to guidelines. If mask wearing becomes compulsory, I don't see how shops can enforce it, sadly.

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

Not compulsory in England yet. The govt. prefers to rely on peoples' good sense. What planet are they on? Didn't they see Bournemouth beach recently? I doubt one in ten in Waitrose this morning had masks on. Including staff.
                            Planet Michael Gove!

Comment

I supposed that Hurtigruten's four UK cruises starting this September, were planned for UK pax to make use of the NHS in ports; as we've been told not to cruise, and as that means insurance will be an issue, they might get away with never being a few miles from shore.
                              I see that Viking and Saga were interested in doing something similar, with UK pax.
                              Carnival's putting out a feeler with an Aida cruise from Germany with Germans...
                              Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
                                No one was a more avid cruiser than me but i have lost all appetite for it now. Even when or if cruising returns I am not sure i will be keen to go. Anyone else feel the same?
                                EU GUIDELINES LIKELY TO PUT ME [MALE AGED 70 ]OFF CRUISING AGAIN IN 2020/2021 ?? SEE www.cruise.co.uk/bulletin/ne...mpaign=140720A ALSO https://cruising.org/en-gb/cruise-in...-and-resources
                                Last edited by davidarmes, Bracknell Berks UK; 14th July 2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X