• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no cruising for me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we were on the same QE cruise. If I remember correctly, the weather was pretty awful, tenders were going technical, something to do with the tide prevented some tenders, in other words, if it could go wrong, it did!
    I gave up which as the sea was even more choppy coming back, and seeing some pretty pea green faces, was a good call!

So not so much the ship experience, but more the management of the itineraries?

Comment

I certainly haven't written cruising off and have one booked for Sept 2021, but it depends on where we are with the virus, whether I can get insurance and most of all what they put in place on board to combat infection. I don't fancy spending most of my time in a mask, finding that a large proportion of sunbeds have been taken away, or being told when and where I can eat. If the on board experience is reduced too much I 'm not interested. What gets me is how cruise lines/consultants can sell cruises at the moment when they have no idea if the cruise will actually happen, and if it does, what they are going to be able to offer on board. Seems to me all they are selling are empty promises.

Comment

Originally posted by mauden, billingham View Post
        Our next booked cruise is on QV at Xmas . will we be on it who knows , things seem to be changing daily , There is an article in the MOS , that says there is no reason why cruises are stopped , and that you will now be safer on ships than on shore . food for thought ,
        I read that too. I assume you're referring to the article by the CEO of Iglu. Sounds like the cry of a desperate man to me. For one thing, I don't think any government has said for definite what their requirement would be, and in fact Spain has an indefinite ban on cruise ships entering its ports. I'm not aware that any cruise line has said for sure what plans they have for restarting, presumably because until governments come up with their requirements, they can't. He mentioned that bar tables would be spaced 2 metres apart which could make it very difficult to get a table in the evening. I imagine that a similar arrangement may apply to sun beds. He suggested there would be no buffets. That's understandable, but wouldn't suit everybody, me for one. I don't mind being served my dinner, but not breakfast and lunch or snacks during the day. He also objected to ships being referred to as floating Petri dishes, but let's face it, ships haven't been good at preventing infections such as Norovirus or cabin cough in the past. He'd do better getting his staff to reply to customers' emails, mine for one, and ensuring they don't give out misleading information like telling me that Celebrity have cancelled a cruise when they haven't.

Comment

Edinburgh is a tender port most of the time on most big ships.
          Only a few docking options none close or big berths.

They swap to Greenock for the tattoo weeks as they can't tender back to the ships after dark so bus people over.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

I hope you can hang on until October!
            That is very unlikely Malcolm

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
              I am sure you are right about cruise ships being one of the safest places to stay, far safer than most hotels but my concern is what someone, unwittingly no doubt, brings on board with them. I don't fancy a extra 2 weeks on board even if it is free!
              Valid point John. It’s not what we do, it’s what others don’t do. It’s also been discussed many times before, some people just don’t have personal hygiene at the top of their priority list. Despite the compulsory wearing of a mask in supermarkets, I’m just back From Tesco and It was disturbing to see several shoppers without masks or the mask pulled down at their neck. That said, I would like to think the cruise line would be more proactive in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Valid point John. It’s not what we do, it’s what others don’t do. It’s also been discussed many times before, some people just don’t have personal hygiene at the top of their priority list. Despite the compulsory wearing of a mask in supermarkets, I’m just back From Tesco and It was disturbing to see several shoppers without masks or the mask pulled down at their neck. That said, I would like to think the cruise line would be more proactive in this situation.
                I am hoping for old fashioned lavatory attendants checking on wash before walk, all staff with the authority to name and shame passengers who flout hygiene protocols with the Captain ready to throw off the ship any passenger deemed anti socially inept re their following of the new rulings.
                Only then will the majority have the confidence to go back to cruising.

Comment

I wonder if any of the non-mask wearers hold exemptions on health grounds ?? It is not always obvious.

My nephew who is autistic is eligible for an exemption but wearing a face covering does not distress him.

Annie

Comment

I wouldn't be interested in cruising while restrictions on social distancing are still needed. Much of the atmosphere of a cruise would be lost if tables and sun beds were spaced out and we couldn't chat to people in bars. I am not sure how many ports would be available and I wouldn't want to go to American ports even if they were open.. We have visited most of the Asian ports on our list, and return trips in Europe would be better taken on land. I suspect we may have taken our last cruise for the foreseeable future, but I am not yet prepared to say never again.

Comment

Not compulsory in England yet. The govt. prefers to rely on peoples' good sense. What planet are they on? Didn't they see Bournemouth beach recently? I doubt one in ten in Waitrose this morning had masks on. Including staff.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

Not compulsory in England yet. The govt. prefers to rely on peoples' good sense. What planet are they on? Didn't they see Bournemouth beach recently? I doubt one in ten in Waitrose this morning had masks on. Including staff.
                        I wish the government COULD rely on people's good sense, Sadly I don't think they can. As I see it, I think a lot of people don't see this as a threat any more, whereas a lot of others, me included, are worried about a spike and are actively trying to continue social distancing. I too was in a Waitrose this morning (St Albans ) and I found a majority of customers wearing masks. A lot of the staff in that store wear visors. I do not think that the Govt making mask wearing compulsory will go down very well. I will continue to do what I hope will keep me safe.

Barb

Comment

We have a cruise booked for June 2021 moved from June 2020, whether we go or not will depend on situation when our deposit is due in April, If we don’t go will have to take a loss on our deposit.

The cruise originally was to celebrate two milestones reached in our life this year, so will not be the same next year.

There is no way we would want to cruise if the wearing of face masks during the cruise were compulsory.

We also have to take into account my wife’s increasing mobility problems due to her arthritis In her ankles and the fact that whenever she boards a cruise ship her ankles swell up like balloons thus increasing the pain considerably.(she has tried all the remedies), so cruising for her ceases to be enjoyable. She does have a mobility scooter but refuses to take it on board in the same way she will not use It when shopping. She does not want to reach the situation where she is dependent on her scooter earlier than need be.

She also has never been as enthusiastic as I am re cruising, happy for me to cruise on my own, but I am not prepared to pay those silly single supplement charges, so for these reasons I think our cruising days are nearing the end.
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post

.... I do not think that the Govt making mask wearing compulsory will go down very well. .....
                            Barb
                            I am curious why??

If by wearing a mask, the virus is suppressed more quickly, why wouldn't you wear a mask??

It is not about ME, it is about WE

I am missing something obviously.

Annie

Comment

I'm hoping they are sailing again before the end of the year, and I would be on it. .................................................. ........Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
                                Somewhere in between, we have the Viking Presidents cruise in January, 7 days that is "free" and another booked for October 2021, that was moved from this year. My/our concerns are more about the flights than the cruise given that Viking Ocean ships have always seemed uncrowded.

If for any reason either or both dont go ahead we would be happy to have the decision made for us

John
                                We have only cruised with Viking twice - Yangtse river & Barcelona to London Ocean cruise.

Like you John, the Ocean cruise (although fully booked) was never crowded. Oh how I wish I had discovered Viking Ocean sooner - an exceptional experience. But this knowledge is only gained by experience and we have thoroughly enjoyed every cruise taken regardless of cruise company. The only sub-optimal ship being CMV Magellan - sad to say it couldn't lace Island Escape's boots.

Gutted to cancel our December Mid-Atlantic cruise in December with Viking (my wife's health). I can't risk that it goes ahead as I would lose the entire value of the booking (rather than 25% cancelling now).

For us, sadly cruising is over.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X