• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carol, welwyn garden city
    started a topic Cruising

Cruising

Hi Everyone

What would your ideal cruise day consist of?
    Whether it's a sea day, or a port day what is your favourite way to spend your time.

I like a combination of being on board, when the ship is half empty, but also love a stroll into the port, a beer in a pub so I can people watch. A beautiful beach with a very blue sea, sun shining a frozen daiquiri while watching the waves.

I really miss it , it's been far to long .................................................. .......Carol

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

πŸ‘ Saved me typing all of that on the iPad 😊
    I’m glad I was of some help in reducing RSI. πŸ˜€πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Leave a comment:

replied
    Well apparently someone in the 'know' reckons Ionas 'maiden' will be a shake down some time in October. I won't hold my breath, so we shall see ...........................................Carol

Leave a comment:

• mags, cardiff
    replied
    Hardly, husband doesnt swim anyway.

Leave a comment:

• lucy, sutton
    replied
    Originally posted by mags, cardiff View Post
    Sea days we are off the ship as soon as possible. Having researched beforehand what we want to see and where we want to go, and how to go about it, in each port we start on our explorations. If we cannot sensibly do this on our own we will do so through a ships tour but diy is preferable for more flexibility and bettter use of time. Even if we have been somewhere before there is always more to see and do. Back on board as late as possible having made the most of a port. We also cruise for an itinerary and to travel the world, which we have been fortunate in doing.

We enjoy sea days also,when we go to the talks, concerts, eat and walk the decks. Not ones to sit! When we do its to read libary books.

Boring? Well each to their own. Cruises are for seeing and doing, we can sit back at home.
    On sea days, do you jump overboard and swim to shore?

Leave a comment:

• mags, cardiff
    replied
    Sea days we are off the ship as soon as possible. Having researched beforehand what we want to see and where we want to go, and how to go about it, in each port we start on our explorations. If we cannot sensibly do this on our own we will do so through a ships tour but diy is preferable for more flexibility and bettter use of time. Even if we have been somewhere before there is always more to see and do. Back on board as late as possible having made the most of a port. We also cruise for an itinerary and to travel the world, which we have been fortunate in doing.

We enjoy sea days also,when we go to the talks, concerts, eat and walk the decks. Not ones to sit! When we do its to read libary books.

Boring? Well each to their own. Cruises are for seeing and doing, we can sit back at home.

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    I cruise for itinerary preferably from continent to continent. e.g. starting in Asia and ending in North America or from the southern hemisphere to northern hemisphere. I try and imagine what it must have been like for those 1st sailors on those 1st sailings. It must have been fun to try and discover new routes.

Availability of sun loungers around the pool - I couldn't care.

Food - as long as I can find something to eat - I am good with that.

Prefer live music to theatre and once I have tested every bar to find the best cocktail barman, I am sorted.

Annie
    YES! Although I do enjoy a light but tasty dinner each evening.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    I cruise for itinerary preferably from continent to continent. e.g. starting in Asia and ending in North America or from the southern hemisphere to northern hemisphere. I try and imagine what it must have been like for those 1st sailors on those 1st sailings. It must have been fun to try and discover new routes.

Availability of sun loungers around the pool - I couldn't care.

Food - as long as I can find something to eat - I am good with that.

Prefer live music to theatre and once I have tested every bar to find the best cocktail barman, I am sorted.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied
    Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
    Hi Everyone

What would your ideal cruise day consist of?
    Whether it's a sea day, or a port day what is your favourite way to spend your time.

I like a combination of being on board, when the ship is half empty, but also love a stroll into the port, a beer in a pub so I can people watch. A beautiful beach with a very blue sea, sun shining a frozen daiquiri while watching the waves.

I really miss it , it's been far to long .................................................. .......Carol
    All of that

LMM

Leave a comment:

replied
    Love reading all your accounts of life on board. I really hope we get to do it again soon. I do like land based holidays, but you really can't beat being at sea ...............................................Car ol

Leave a comment:

• cruiser, Larne
    replied
    I am an early riser, OH is not, so I can get up around 5.30, shower and dress and quietly leave the room and he doesn't notice. I love sitting up on deck before anyone else is there, I can happily sit and watch the sea for hours. I do like going ashore on port days if it's somewhere I haven't been before or if there is somewhere I want to return to but often we stay onboard and enjoy the quiet spell while everyone is off ship. One thing I love about cruising is that everything is there should you choose to enjoy it. Entertainment in the evenings takes many forms - we usually go to the theatre if anything decent is on. For us it is a great opportunity to relax, do our own thing and recharge our batteries. I love it!!

Leave a comment:

• lucy, sutton
    replied
    We like to have an early, light breakfast in our room on sea days. It is great to wake up to a breakfast tray with tea and just enjoy the peace and quiet whilst you eat your breakfast. Just a great way to relax. Then we will have another snooze for an hour, before going out for a stroll around the decks to catch some sunshine and fresh air, usually as high up as possible on the upper decks where you can get a panoramic view of the sea. We will then find a sun lounger somewhere tucked away in a shady spot and relax. Sea days are a great way to relax and wind down from our busy lives. If there are any interesting lectures, we will go to this, or see a film. We will go for a snack if we feel like it. Evening, we don't tend to bother with the entertainment in the theatre too much, unless it is something that we particularly want to see. Cruising is all about relaxing for us as we are so busy in our working lives, it is just great to often sit and just watch the sea go by.

By the time we have had a couple of sea days, we are then ready to get to a port to have a look around, soak up the atmosphere and buy a few things to remind us of the visit. I do like buying clothes on the continent as they are slightly different to home. It is great when we go to ports we have never been to before, but we also like ports we have been to many times before as well, as this means we know our way around and if there are particular shops we want to go to, or cafes we particularly like in a great spot.

Cruising for us is one long relaxing holiday. It is a holiday you don't have to worry about anything as it is all done for you. The sea is a massive draw for me as I find it very relaxing to watch and the different ports you can visit in a short space of time without having to drive or fly there is another bonus.The ideal length for us is no longer than 17 nights, otherwise our clothes start to feel a bit tight and we are then ready to get off and face the world again, with recharged batteries.

Leave a comment:

• mike, lanarkshire
    replied
    Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
    On a port day we have a Leisurely breakfast, walk into port for a wander, stop off at a cafe to people watch then back on ship by 2 or 3pm to lie and soak up some rays.

sea days we have a long lie and miss breakfast so go to dining room for lunch. We will then attend any good lectures or have a wander around the ship. We will then find a quiet place in the sun to read and chill.

cruising is such a hard life isn’t it? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    πŸ‘ Saved me typing all of that on the iPad 😊

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    On a port day we have a Leisurely breakfast, walk into port for a wander, stop off at a cafe to people watch then back on ship by 2 or 3pm to lie and soak up some rays.

sea days we have a long lie and miss breakfast so go to dining room for lunch. We will then attend any good lectures or have a wander around the ship. We will then find a quiet place in the sun to read and chill.

cruising is such a hard life isn’t it? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
    I enjoy the whole experience of a cruise. As the choice has always been itinerary driven, coupled with a ship that we like.

I wouldn't choose to go on a cruise with a company that doesn't meet my preferences, just for the sake of going on any cruise.

I love sea days equally to new ports of call.

Right now, I wish I was on a sun lounger on deck in some shade reading a book/looking out to sea/ snoozing/drinking a cocktail in any order.
    Yes it's the whole experience right from starting to choose it, the anticipation, researching the ship if you don't know it, the itinerary, deciding what to take and then the cruise! Magic!

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X