• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 Cruise Ships bound for Glasgow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    3 Cruise Ships bound for Glasgow

    Hi All

    Inverclyde Council still refusing permission for 8 cruise ships to moor in Greenock.

    However 3 cruise ships, names still to be advised, will moor at Shieldhall in Glasgow. Expected arrival 14 days.


    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-west-52727184

    Annie

    #2
    I know Greenock cases of COVID is high but has the ships haven’t had passengers onboard for many weeks and have only staff onboard with no COVID symptoms why won’t they let them dock or moor? Oor Nicola needs to get her finger oot and deal with this ASAP.

    The U.K. as a whole let in passengers from flights without testing, monitoring or quarantine so why are ships treated differently?
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
      I know Greenock cases of COVID is high but has the ships haven’t had passengers onboard for many weeks and have only staff onboard with no COVID symptoms why won’t they let them dock or moor? Oor Nicola needs to get her finger oot and deal with this ASAP.

      The U.K. as a whole let in passengers from flights without testing, monitoring or quarantine so why are ships treated differently?
      I think wee Nicola Krankie has her hands full at the moment, including the Nike conference in Edinburgh fiasco. She tried to keep that quiet.....sneekit. She’s as wide as the Clyde or so she thinks.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
        I know Greenock cases of COVID is high but has the ships haven’t had passengers onboard for many weeks and have only staff onboard with no COVID symptoms why won’t they let them dock or moor? Oor Nicola needs to get her finger oot and deal with this ASAP.

        The U.K. as a whole let in passengers from flights without testing, monitoring or quarantine so why are ships treated differently?
        Inverclyde has the highest morbidity rate from Covid 19 in Scotland.

        An old but interesting article from Greenock Telegraph. Peel Ports is the controlling authority:

        https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/...avirus-crisis/

        Annie

        Comment


          #5
          To much power in private hands (Peel) - control the Clyde estuary! Ridiculous.

          Bill


          Lawnmowerman

          Comment


            #6
            Fair play to Inverclyde Council given the temptation for some revenue which is badly needed for the local community.


            Bill


            Lawnmowerman

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
              Fair play to Inverclyde Council given the temptation for some revenue which is badly needed for the local community.


              Bill
              Bill, It may well be the case that their decision has been influenced by a higher authority.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

                Bill, It may well be the case that their decision has been influenced by a higher authority.
                Regardless I think It is the right decision.

                Bill


                Lawnmowerman

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

                  Regardless I think It is the right decision.

                  Bill
                  Absolutely, my neighbour is working in Greenock at the moment. Apparently there’s a super yacht docked there just now. He said he googled it and it was £700,000 per week to rent it ......in low season. Think I’ll stick to cruising, it’s much cheaper.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

                    Absolutely, my neighbour is working in Greenock at the moment. Apparently there’s a super yacht docked there just now. He said he googled it and it was £700,000 per week to rent it ......in low season. Think I’ll stick to cruising, it’s much cheaper.
                    Come on Mike, splash out for once!

                    Bill


                    Lawnmowerman

                    Comment


                      #11
                      As a Sassenach I have no knowledge of the intricacies of Scottish politics but if merchant ships are still calling to the port(s) in question would have thought no problem for skeleton manned cruise ships, free of Covid 19. I would imagine a single ship moored for some time is less of a risk than many ships calling for short stays.

                      Still, no doubt, other port operators will be happy to take the business.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The problem is the other way round ships and crew are at much higher risk from the land population.

                        Crazy not to take in the ships to layup as they will create revenue and services, with potential to get involved in recommissioning after layup.

                        Only January when they were near completion of the new berth to get bigger ships into the port bringing much needed revenue and tourists to the area.
                        https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/g...-sail-17630150

                        Great idea to put the port into to the back of the minds of the cruise lines for future scheduling last thing you need to be dealing with is hostile natives.

                        Could but the new terminal and art centre back or even cancelled how far has that got trying? to find an recent image of the site.


                        If the smaller ships can get as far up the Clyde as Breahead surprised they don't stick a small terminal there much easier access to Glasgow than Greenock, makes overnights a viable option with 15-20mins from the centre.

                        The skeleton crew can have a shop at Ikea and Sainsbury..


                        One of the ships looks to be Azamara Persuit
                        https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ZAMARA_PURSUIT

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                          The problem is the other way round ships and crew are at much higher risk from the land population.

                          Crazy not to take in the ships to layup as they will create revenue and services, with potential to get involved in recommissioning after layup.

                          Only January when they were near completion of the new berth to get bigger ships into the port bringing much needed revenue and tourists to the area.
                          https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/g...-sail-17630150

                          Great idea to put the port into to the back of the minds of the cruise lines for future scheduling last thing you need to be dealing with is hostile natives.

                          Could but the new terminal and art centre back or even cancelled how far has that got trying? to find an recent image of the site.


                          If the smaller ships can get as far up the Clyde as Breahead surprised they don't stick a small terminal there much easier access to Glasgow than Greenock, makes overnights a viable option with 15-20mins from the centre.

                          The skeleton crew can have a shop at Ikea and Sainsbury..


                          One of the ships looks to be Azamara Persuit
                          https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ZAMARA_PURSUIT
                          It is the KGV dock at Shieldhall (close to Braehead)

                          Annie

                          https://energy.scottishports.org.uk/...-george-v-dock

                          PS It is reported that Peel Ports has not responded to Inverclyde Council letters:

                          https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/...irus-pandemic/
                          Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 20th May 2020, 08:56 AM.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            get more coverage in the local news.

                            https://www.inverclydenow.com/inverc...one-unnoticed/

                            meanwhile
                            https://www.inverclydenow.com/greeno...ates-100-jobs/

                            good they are hoping to keep production and supply going after the crisis bringing it back to the UK.
                            (Or will the NHS go back to just get the cheapest from china?)

                            nice bit at the end the quangos justifying their existence.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                              get more coverage in the local news.

                              https://www.inverclydenow.com/inverc...one-unnoticed/

                              meanwhile
                              https://www.inverclydenow.com/greeno...ates-100-jobs/

                              good they are hoping to keep production and supply going after the crisis bringing it back to the UK.
                              (Or will the NHS go back to just get the cheapest from china?)

                              nice bit at the end the quangos justifying their existence.
                              450 more jobs in Lanarkshire wrt PPE

                              https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/...ated-ppe-site/

                              Annie

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X