• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The future of cruising after the virus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future of cruising after the virus

Interesting piece on the BBC's site.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52182509

Any views?

I think that it will take a long time for some people to regain sufficient confidence to take a cruise, bearing in mind the recent (very few) horror stories.

Also, will the cost of travel insurance soar? There must have been many claims resulting from the virus.

Judging by comments on this forum, there are those who can't wait to get back on board, and those who won't consider a cruise this year, or even into the future. Then there is the price aspect. Lines may up prices to try and recoup lost revenue, or they may discount to tempt people back. The insurance issue you mention is a good point. I wouldn't be surprised if insurers excluded anything to do with this virus for some time to come in case it returns. I for one wouldn't travel abroad without full insurance. You could be bankrupted by medical costs if you have no cover and all seriously ill.

Comment

Interesting article! I would question at least 2 points.

'....they contribute very little to the local economy. Cruise ships are notorious for depositing thousands of tourists in crowded cities who, Prof Agarwal says "spend very little, look around the place for five or six hours with a packed lunch, and then go back on board for dinner". I find that difficult to believe. Just thinking of the hundreds of taxis touting for business in the Caribbean islands.

'Also, it is fairly obvious what the industry will do the second that travel restrictions are lifted - they will launch a huge advertising campaign and slash their prices, to get customers back.' Many of you have pointed out that prices for next year are higher than this year.

Comment

I think you’ll find that the cost of insurance will increase substantially or they will simply add exclusions to the policies to limit the damage. Some of the major players are no longer offering travel insurance on their web sites.

Comment

Hi all
          There was a full page ad in the newspaper this morning for a Fred Olse cruise in April 2022.
          A bog standard cruise from Valetta to a few Greek Island with one oddity,a passage through the Corinth Canal.

A 10 nt cruise,,,cost for a balcony on an old tub like Breamar.....£7300 for 2.

If that is replicated across all cruise lines cruising has no future for me.
          Who in their right mind would pay £3650 each for a cruise on Fred Olsen,,,,,oh you do get FREE grats and FREE £100 OBC.

JC
          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Not everyone has short pockets and not everyone pays attention to the news (Covidiots anyone?). They walk among us (closer than 2 metres too!).

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Mike48, Southampton View Post
              Interesting piece on the BBC's site.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52182509

Any views?

I think that it will take a long time for some people to regain sufficient confidence to take a cruise, bearing in mind the recent (very few) horror stories.

Also, will the cost of travel insurance soar? There must have been many claims resulting from the virus.
              Many may have to dip into their rainy day funds, if they had any, to survive this economic crisis.

These funds will have to be replaced before some will book any holiday.

Annie

Comment

If I could cruise tomorrow I’d be packing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
                  Not everyone has short pockets and not everyone pays attention to the news (Covidiots anyone?). They walk among us (closer than 2 metres too!).

Bill
                  I used to read the Mail Online as a bit of fun with morning coffee, a ''balanced'' view on life and all that guff. Now I read it with horror. Talk about ''talking up'' Armageddon and I like to think myself as far away from a Covidiot as is possible to be!

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                    Hi all
                    There was a full page ad in the newspaper this morning for a Fred Olse cruise in April 2022.
                    A bog standard cruise from Valetta to a few Greek Island with one oddity,a passage through the Corinth Canal.

Who in their right mind would pay £3650 each for a cruise on Fred Olsen,,,,,oh you do get FREE grats and FREE £100 OBC.

JC
                    That’s insane. I did say in an earlier thread the cruise industry would probably increase pricing but that’s taking it to the extreme.

Comment

[QUOTE=Victoria, Aberystwyth;n1310735]Interesting article! I would question at least 2 points.

'....they contribute very little to the local economy. Cruise ships are notorious for depositing thousands of tourists in crowded cities who, Prof Agarwal says "spend very little, look around the place for five or six hours with a packed lunch, and then go back on board for dinner". I find that difficult to believe. Just thinking of the hundreds of taxis touting for business in the Caribbean islands.

'Also, it is fairly obvious what the industry will do the second that travel restrictions are lifted - they will launch a huge advertising campaign and slash their prices, to get customers back.' Many of you have pointed out that prices for next year are higher than this year.

..they contribute very little to the local economy. I believe that - when we are ashore we tend not to buy anything (no room anymore for knick-knacks/souvenirs) We will enjoy a coffee and just observe. Undoubtedly excursions, taxis etc. get booked and of course that is a benefit but not every cruiser does. Also depends on the POC - Invergordon? it's an exodus to Inverness, or a distillery, or Nessie, or another Castle - so not every port would benefit. I know for a fact that every coach excursion from Invergordon can come from up to 80 miles away to serve the cruise industry. So benefits yes - but not local.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                        Hi all

JC
                        Don't you think Fred has always been a bit on the high side, price wise, for their ships? They have a real following who love the experience so you never know, might be a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

I used to read the Mail Online as a bit of fun with morning coffee, a ''balanced'' view on life and all that guff. Now I read it with horror. Talk about ''talking up'' Armageddon and I like to think myself as far away from a Covidiot as is possible to be!
                          You’re absolutely right. I was just discussing this with my wife the other day. Daily Mail going way overboard (as it’s a cruise forum, no pun intended) in their reporting. It’s all doom and gloom and the zombie apocalypse is just around the corner. The obsession they have with “Celebs” irritates me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

That’s insane. I did say in an earlier thread the cruise industry would probably increase pricing but that’s taking it to the extreme.
                            I am sure they would like to increase prices substantially but since much of the world is facing a virus-related recession with millions out of work, I doubt if the market would stand a huge hike in fares. Even those who are retired may well have seen their investments plunge in value and dividends from shares cancelled. Then, taxes are sure to rise substantially to pay for the huge cost of the bail-out, and health care.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lawnmowerman, Tain;n1310758]
                              Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
                              Interesting article! I would question at least 2 points.

..they contribute very little to the local economy. I believe that - when we are ashore we tend not to buy anything (no room anymore for knick-knacks/souvenirs) We will enjoy a coffee and just observe. Undoubtedly excursions, taxis etc. get booked and of course that is a benefit but not every cruiser does. Also depends on the POC - Invergordon? it's an exodus to Inverness, or a distillery, or Nessie, or another Castle - so not every port would benefit. I know for a fact that every coach excursion from Invergordon can come from up to 80 miles away to serve the cruise industry. So benefits yes - but not local.

Bill
                              That's true of some POC of course. Holyhead would be the same - they would go further afield to Snowdonia. But the article makes such a sweeping statement which is patently untrue for many POC.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X