• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will all the Cruise Lines survive??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will all the Cruise Lines survive??

Hi All

Carnival group PLC secured funding in the market yesterday to tide it over the current crisis. The Interest rate was an eye watering 11.75%. I think they secured sone funding in the same market last year but the interest rate was only 1%. The consumer will eventually pay for that if the cruise group survives.

Do you think all the cruise lines will survive??

I have no bookings going forward but if had and was offered cash or FCC - I know which one I would accept.

Annie
    Starts
    1st April 2020
    Ends
    2nd April 2020

I hope CCL survives.
    Cunard has quite a bit of our dosh !

Comment

Hi all
      I don't think the markets liked CCL $6bn money raising scheme,,,,the share price now is £6,a drop of 23% on the LSE.
      I don't think Carnival will go to the wall,but one of its subsidiaries,maybe Cunard or P&O might.

I believe with RCI recent cash borrowing,they committed on the their subsidiaries ships as collateral.
      Three old Celebrity ships or maybe Azamara.

Dont see cruise ships as being easy assets for the money lending leeches to get rid of.

JC
      C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
      "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

With so many giant ships on order something will have to give. Probably older less fuel efficient ships will be sold off (“given away”) first. There will still be a demand for holidays and at least a cruise ship will look after you better than a cheap hotel in a sunny place.

Comment

Based on their current pricing, I think they’re expecting huge numbers to book cruises as soon as this is over.

Comment

I dont think that they all will survive.

I think the uptake will be quite slow because thing will return to normal quite slowly. The idea of being stuck in a floating prison with 3000+ souls may not be so appealing, even to cruise fans!
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
              Based on their current pricing, I think they’re expecting huge numbers to book cruises as soon as this is over.
              Hi Mike
              Not sure what you mean,,,but looking at a Sihouette cruise to the Baltic next year it is over £1000 more than what this cruise was for this year.
              If they are hoping to make up for this years losses next year I don't think it's going to happen.
              After this virus emergency people are going to be very careful with their money,,,,they will have to build their savings back up.

​​​​​​​JC
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                According to my latest email from cruise dot - ‘cruise prices have never been so low’!!

Comment

Cheap ships "for sale" give opportunity for a startup.

Azamara was created using cheap ships.

The big boys even if they fail will phoenix with the same brand names as they are the market.

Comment

I think consolidation of brands is inevitable as a quick cost saver, Cunard and P&O being a fairly obvious one or Princess and HAL, possibly 2 of the most toxic names in the industry, they emerge smaller and re branded.

Some of the smaller Niche brands will go, if I was a betting man Azamara will be sold off.

Viking, very new fleet and the size of ships might appeal more going forward they should be OK.

Comment

Cunard is a cash cow(less price sensitive) within its market segment and with only 3 ships over capacity is less of a problem but does need the transatlantic route to keep one ship busy.

​​​​​​P&O is more like Princess.
                      ​​​They were run together in the past but have massive capacity issues with 27 ships they may need to lay ups some ships for a while.

HAL target market being older might be a problem.

Carnival Corp have a lot of brands but not a lot of overlap amongst them.

For the UK market CMV, FO, Marella are the ones to watch along side P&O

Comment

I thought Brexit and now this darned virus, pretty serious stuff but Cunard merging with P&O???????????????

O. M. G.!!!!!!!!!!​​​​​​​

ps... ain't going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                          Cunard is a cash cow(less price sensitive) within its market segment and with only 3 ships over capacity is less of a problem but does need the transatlantic route to keep one ship busy.

​​​​​​P&O is more like Princess.
                          ​​​They were run together in the past but have massive capacity issues with 27 ships they may need to lay ups some ships for a while.

HAL target market being older might be a problem.

Carnival Corp have a lot of brands but not a lot of overlap amongst them.

For the UK market CMV, FO, Marella are the ones to watch along side P&O
                          With regard to FO- as Fred is a much bigger company than just it's cruise sector, won't that have a bearing on the financial outcome?

Jill

Comment

As well as thinking about cruise lines surviving, should we be worrying about cruise agents surviving.....especially some of the smaller family run ones folks may have already booked with.

Therefore, as a precaution would it now be safer to book directly with the cruise lines and so forfeiting that little/tiny bit of discount incentive offered by the CA’s?

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
                              As well as thinking about cruise lines surviving, should we be worrying about cruise agents surviving.....especially some of the smaller family run ones folks may have already booked with.

Therefore, as a precaution would it now be safer to book directly with the cruise lines and so forfeiting that little/tiny bit of discount incentive offered by the CA’s?
                              Interesting thought.
                              ​​​​​​​My agent will survive all this but I'm sure, many won't.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X