• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I cancel my holiday insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I cancel my holiday insurance

I have a cruise booked with cruise and maritime in August. I took out travel insurance a fortnight tomorrow. At the moment cruises are cancelled until mid April with an offer of 100% refund or 125%. Credit.

The way things are going I think it is 50/50 the cruise will go ahead in August. Maybe less. If it is I expect to get full refund and not have to claim on insurance as there is no flights or hotels involved.

I only have until tomorrow to cancel insurance in the cooling off period. My wife an I both have underlying medical conditions so insurance was near £300 for 1 week cruise cover. My thinking is if I cancel now and cruise is not cancelled I can take out new insurance nearer the time. We want to go on cruise but just don’t want to lose the £300 if company cancel cruise at later date.

Grateful for any advice.

How can we advise you either way?
    It's a personal decision which only you can decide.

Comment

If you do cancel your insurance and have to rebuy it might be even more expensive. Your insurance is a back up incase anything goes wrong. What if one of you, God forbid, took unwell prior to the cruise and had to cancel the cruise but you had cancelled your insurance you would loose all your cruise money.

its only a decision you and your other half can make.
      Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 17th March 2020, 07:45 PM.
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Personally I would cancel and take all the money back and start again in future. Do you need the money, can you afford to lose it?

Comment

You are obviously a gambling person. Its your call. I would stick.

Comment

If you took your insurance out a fortnight ago then this was probably before they put the caveat clause in NOT covering any instances relating to Coronavirus. So if you do take Ins out later you wont have such good cover? might be worth investigating and thinking along those lines. From what I have read most Travel Insurances from 11th March are not covering Coronavirus.

Do you want to risk it? I always advocate and listen to Martin Lewis. Take insurance cover out on the day you book your holiday, don't be blinkered into thinking you only need the cover for the duration of the holiday. Ins covers you for events leading up to the holiday - what if you fell and broke your next month leg and couldn't go, etc etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
              If you took your insurance out a fortnight ago then this was probably before they put the caveat clause in NOT covering any instances relating to Coronavirus. So if you do take Ins out later you wont have such good cover? might be worth investigating and thinking along those lines. From what I have read most Travel Insurances from 11th March are not covering Coronavirus.

Do you want to risk it? I always advocate and listen to Martin Lewis. Take insurance cover out on the day you book your holiday, don't be blinkered into thinking you only need the cover for the duration of the holiday. Ins covers you for events leading up to the holiday - what if you fell and broke your next month leg and couldn't go, etc etc?
              This is the best advice so far.

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

My hubby takes out annual travel insurance for us as I have underlying health problems that mean we are extra cautious about travelling. He also always takes out the insurance when he books our trips so if either of us was taken poorly we would be covered. Anyone who thinks not having insurance is ok is puddled!

Take care, Helen

Comment

What Bradbury said 🙌
                  Past cruises:
                  Carnival Conquest October 2002
                  Independence of the Seas October 2012
                  Independence of the Seas May 2014
                  Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                  Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Thanks for advice everyone. Going to keep insurance and hopefully look forward to cruise. Be great to be able to go after these difficult days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
                      My hubby takes out annual travel insurance for us as I have underlying health problems that mean we are extra cautious about travelling. He also always takes out the insurance when he books our trips so if either of us was taken poorly we would be covered. Anyone who thinks not having insurance is ok is puddled!

Take care, Helen
                      And then they expect the government, i.e. taxpayers, to get them out of any trouble they might find themselves in.

Comment

The important thing is to understand what it is you are insuring that is not covered by other aspects of the holiday you purchased.

For me the primary cover I want is medical(as that could bankrupt me) then repatriation(not covered by medical) as that can be an expensive unknown but can be covered by a few options(like buy a package)

I could take the hit on cost but that gets covered anyway with most travel medical policies in the UK and when the cruise is cancelled.

If in your situation by cancelling the current policy the risk I have is that when I need to re insure(to get the medical cover while travelling) I can't or it costs so much more I would have to cancel and loose the cash, on Balance for an August cruise I think they may have started up again so would keep the insurance in place so I could go, if not I get all my other money back anyway.

What deposit is on the line?
                        Unless a popular one when cruises restart it may be cheaper anyway a lot of CMV cruise drop in price near sailing.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X