• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price rise P&O - a bit of a disaster!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price rise P&O - a bit of a disaster!

I could absolutely kick myself. We need to shift a cruise we're going on this year as I have to have an operation, and as it could happen at any point prior to the end of April, and it has a six week recovery period, I can't take the risk of our original cruise date. So I contacted my travel agent, got a price, and decided to think about it overnight. This was on 31st January. I rang them up the next day to change to the later cruise date, and to my horror, it had gone up by over £300 ovenight! I can only assume that this was as a result of us exiting the EU, and that maybe P & O think that people are now more likely to book a cruise. My agent did suggest it could also be as a result of the coronavirus, but I don't think that's very likely as the cruise I wanted to change to doesn't go till next May.
    I know - I'm going to be told that I should have booked it there and then - mea culpa!
    So now I don't know whether to go ahead and book the cruise at the new price, wait and see if the price goes down, or cancel the original cruise and swallow the loss of deposit, as that's still less than the price rise. The problem is, I have to decide by the start of March as that's when our original cruise has to be paid for.
    But does anyone know of any sites where I can keep an eye on changes in price? I've looked at the usual suspects, but only one lists P&O, and I'd ideally like at least a couple of sites as I don't know how quickly price changes get registered.
    Advice anyone?

I suspect nothing to do with Brexit or corona vinous and all to do with “dynamic” pricing. Prices go up and down all of the time in the travel and leisure industry depending on demand and availability. In fact the sight of thousands of cruise passengers quarantined for 2 weeks on board is likely to deter people from cruising and lead to lower prices.

You win some and unfortunately you lose some. Personally we always book direct with the cruise line as we go from Southampton on simple cruise only trips. Often a price will go up for a while and then come back down again. Unfortunately no way of knowing.

Comment

We were on a cruise once and decided to book another one whilst on board , went back to the cabin to decide on which cabin to have , Went back a couple of hours later and it had gone up by £200 .

Comment

Get the price in writing. Change your cruise line. They do not deserve you.

Comment

A couple of things to consider:

Was the initial price super cheap or typically average?

If the former, it probably won’t change.

If the latter, it might be just a ‘try on’, so it could be worth sitting it out in the hope it will drop back……….Wilba
          Wilba

Comment

So you have another month to sit on your hands and watch the prices.
            sign up to price alerts. You could use sea scanner. Cruise dot used to have one but I’ve not managed to get it to work recently. Have a look at cruise fish as that will give you an idea of the actual availability and also the peaks and troughs of the prices.
            Lastly could you not claim for your loss of deposit on your travel insurance?
            Past cruises:
            Carnival Conquest October 2002
            Independence of the Seas October 2012
            Independence of the Seas May 2014
            Explorer of the Seas June 2015
            Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Hi Bookhaven
              Try looking at the cruise again using a incognito window.,,,,it might show a different price.
              JC
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Sometimes it is just grades filling up or getting taken out of inventory.

Did any promo change on the 31st of Jan I don't follow P&O

Not enough detail to know what might have been the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  Hi Bookhaven
                  Try looking at the cruise again using a incognito window.,,,,it might show a different price.
                  JC
                  Hi JC

I agree, it’s the same with price comparison sites, if you check a price but do not go ahead at the time. You can guarantee when you check again the price will have gone up.
                  When checking prices always first switch to private viewing.
                  Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                    Sometimes it is just grades filling up or getting taken out of inventory.

Did any promo change on the 31st of Jan I don't follow P&O

Not enough detail to know what might have been the cause.
                    You've echo'd my thoughts. End of Month usually sign of a promo end date.

Like you I dont follow P&O Prices but I will say its worth checking constantly. I recently booked a Princess cruise, having perused about it overnight I was ready to book and whilst I was on the phone to my agent tapped it in again on the internet and the price had gone down by nearly £50 pp overnight. We got it booked at the lower price and by teatime it had gone back up again to the price it was the day prior to my booking - I literally caught the price drop in a window of just a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by mauden, billingham View Post
                      We were on a cruise once and decided to book another one whilst on board , went back to the cabin to decide on which cabin to have , Went back a couple of hours later and it had gone up by £200 .
                      We had something similar - agreed a price with the cruise consultant, went to get my card which must have taken less than 1 minute and by the time I had got my card out to pay, the price had gone up £100! It happens all the time.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. As far as I know, P & O did not have a promotion that ended - their current promotion runs till 6th March. I have tried your suggestion of incognito window, but no change in price, unfortunately. Luckily, we booked this cruise whilst onboard, so will only lose £100 in deposit, should we go down that route. We did have £110 obc each on the original booking, but it is £200 obc each on the one we want to switch to, so I could look at it as only costing just over £100 extra. It's just so flipping annoying. I think I'll take Wilba's advice and wait, but learnt today that my op isn't likely to be till April at the earliest, so we are definitely going to have to postpone or cancel. Decisions, decisions! Thanks everyone.

Comment

I have never tried P&O, but Celebrity and Royal Caribbean will let you put a 24 hour hold on a cabin which locks the price for you. I have done this when we had to check with friends if the dates were suitable, or check if anther agent had a better price.

Sheila

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X