• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If at First you don't Succeed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If at First you don't Succeed

Hi Everyone

I was booked on the Ventura in December for a mini over to Amsterdam, that was cancelled, due to problems with the ship!

The same cruise is running this weekend, Ventura, overnight in Amsterdam etc, (I did think about booking but decided not to), people have had e mails to say that due to the weather, they are now not going to Amsterdam, they are going to Zeebrugge instead. At least the cruise is going ahead, but I would have been so disappointed if I had booked it, as I know others have!

I wonder if people would try again for a third time Would You? .................................................. ............Carol

In the winter, a definite no.

Annie

PS BTW was it meant to be Amsterdam or Rotterdam - just asking?

PPS No doubt TD will be along and advise if this a major change.
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 7th February 2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Carol, I know how disappointed you were when your mini cruise to Amsterdam was cancelled. Personally, I’m not a fan of mini cruises, as I think you can get much better value for money if you fly out for a city break.

At this time of year you can book return EasyJet flights from Luton for £32.00, with a fast regular train service from Schipol airport to Amsterdam Central for approx. €6 each way. It beats being docked in IJmuiden and taking the coach to Amsterdam. I assume Ventura would not be able to dock at the Amsterdam Cruise Terminal? Alternatively, I would choose one of the smaller cruise ships that is able to dock within walking distance of the city centre.

I hope you find an alternative cruise to suit you, I know you’re very keen to visit Amsterdam. It’s a city I have visited many times on business and on cruises, lots to see and do, but, as Annie pointed out, not the ideal city to visit in winter. Jan

Comment

In winter, definitely not.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
          In winter, definitely not.
          We went for a few days one very cold and damp Jan and had a museum few days. Marvellous. No crowds and plenty to see. The canal boats are heated and it's easy to get restaurant reservations.

Comment

If you want a city break in winter, Copenhagen would be my choice. They know how to cope. JMHO

Comment

Had they not already changed to IJmuiden months ago so not really Amsterdam anyway.

Comment

I have stopped in Amsterdam twice in the last three years on a cruise ship,once docked overnight.
                Both times on a New Years Eve cruise,,,had a great time,and one of them was on Ventura.

For me the trip would be two nights out on a cruise ship,,,Amsterdam can be done anytime.
                JC
                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

We went for a few days one very cold and damp Jan and had a museum few days. Marvellous. No crowds and plenty to see. The canal boats are heated and it's easy to get restaurant reservations.
                  No crowds, canal boats with heated seats.....You’ve changed my mind Mrs M 😊

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

No crowds, canal boats with heated seats.....You’ve changed my mind Mrs M 😊
                    Don't get carried away with your enthusiasm Mike.

Any heat on a seat came from my not insubstantial rear, which to be fair, did benefit from the surround heat!

Enjoy. We did.

Comment

The reason I said not in winter was because rough sea conditions are not uncommon in the winter.

I occasionally went to the Netherlands for work and it can be pretty cold and damp in the winter.

Annie

Comment

If you still fancy Amsterdam - CMV Magellan has a spring break cruise to Antwerp and Amsterdam and they dock right in the towns 5th May Tilbury £300 in / £350 outside approx

Comment

Eurostar direct to Amsterdam city centre...
                          Regards
                          Garf.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                            Regards
                            Garf.
                            Do Eurostar do party cruises??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                              Regards
                              Garf.
                              That's the easy bit,

Getting to the train as much of a problem as getting to a ship.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X