• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has this ever happened to you

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has this ever happened to you

Came back from a cruise on the QV on 6th January ,, got our final bill through the door on the last night and all was well .
    After a few days back home our credit card bill came and along with the money we had spent on the cruise was another bill for 562,96 US Dollars equal to £430 80 ,
    I phoned Cunard and the young lady I spoke to said she thought what had happened was that out account had not been closed down and we had someone else bill too .
    I left it with her to sort out but after a week I had heard nothing so I phoned again , I then spoke to someone different and pointed out to them that I wasn't talking about a tenner here and that £420 was a considerable amount of money , he agreed and said he would get on to it straight away which he did as the next morning I got an e mail asking me to provide proof of the amount on my credit card .
    This was done straight away and later that night we had a phone call asking if the money could be refunded in the form of a cheque . we agreed and a couple of days later we received the cheque ,
    The man I spoke to wasn't forthcoming as to how this had happened and I didn't ask him although with hindsight I wish I had ,
    I am very curious to know if this has happened to anyone else ,

Not to the same extent but twice on P&O and once on Celebrity, eventually they refunded the money back to my credit card

Comment

Once on Celebrity but not anywhere near that amount.

Comment

We have had a couple of amounts small or under $100, debited to our onboard account but we sorted the issues out before disembarkation. We check our [Cunard] account every other day or so on a short cruise and wait a couple of weeks before doing so, on a longer one.

Comment

That’s terrible but at least they sorted it for you.
          Past cruises:
          Carnival Conquest October 2002
          Independence of the Seas October 2012
          Independence of the Seas May 2014
          Explorer of the Seas June 2015
          Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
            We have had a couple of amounts small or under $100, debited to our onboard account but we sorted the issues out before disembarkation. We check our [Cunard] account every other day or so on a short cruise and wait a couple of weeks before doing so, on a longer one.
            Yes our onboard account was correct . it was when we got the credit card bill in that we got such a surprise to find we had been debited with that amount , funny thing is the date on it was 6th Jan the day we disembarked . and everyone knows you cant buy anything on the last day ,

Comment

I've often had extra charges on my stateroom account which have been removed by guest services. I've never been charged for someone else's entire account though!

Glad they sorted it for you, though the refund by cheque sends shivers down my spine... what year is this?
              Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by mauden, billingham View Post

Yes our onboard account was correct . it was when we got the credit card bill in that we got such a surprise to find we had been debited with that amount , funny thing is the date on it was 6th Jan the day we disembarked . and everyone knows you cant buy anything on the last day ,
                I would have phoned the card company [Amex for us] and asked them to open a dispute claim. Our Amex account wouldn't be debited until the situation was resolved and in effect, as no actual debit was made, no refund would be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                  I've often had extra charges on my stateroom account which have been removed by guest services. I've never been charged for someone else's entire account though!

Glad they sorted it for you, though the refund by cheque sends shivers down my spine... what year is this?
                  Hard for some to believe, I know,, but cheques are still valid methods for currency transfers.

Comment

Hard for some to believe, I know,, but cheques are still valid methods for currency transfers.
                    Very hard for this chap to believe. I did receive a refund of overpaid fees from RBS for my old business bank account. I still don't think I've cashed the cheque yet! Maybe that's what companies are banking on, if you'll pardon the pun... 😆
                    Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post

Very hard for this chap to believe. I did receive a refund of overpaid fees from RBS for my old business bank account. I still don't think I've cashed the cheque yet! Maybe that's what companies are banking on, if you'll pardon the pun... 😆
                      I still have a cheque book and have used it were necessary. As locak banks shut, so the Post Offices are now facilitating the crediting of cheques to your account and there are loads of folk who don't do and won't do internet banking and so use this facility.
                      I got a cheque two months ago and was moaning about it and our lovely local Post Office chap told me about the availability of this.

The same with cash. CC and contactless/Apple pay etc.,. These haven't taken over the world.Yet.

Comment

I still have a cheque book and have used it were necessary. As locak banks shut, so the Post Offices are now facilitating the crediting of cheques to your account and there are loads of folk who don't do and won't do internet banking and so use this facility.
                        I got a cheque two months ago and was moaning about it and our lovely local Post Office chap told me about the availability of this.

The same with cash. CC and contactless/Apple pay etc.,. These haven't taken over the world.Yet.
                        I still have my cheque books but haven’t used them in a long time. I use contactless and swipe my bank card all the time but wouldn’t hesitate to write a cheque if needed.

Our nearest RBS bank is 10 mins away by car then you have to find a parking space then wait 15-25 mins in the queue to see a teller as the queues are so long. Now hubby or his trusty sidekick, moi, walks the 5 mins to our local post office to pay in his money and like you Mrs M, found out he could do this by fluke.
                        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We are able to use an app that allows you to photograph a cheque and it is paid straight into our Lloyds account, so simple don't even need to leave the house.

HSBC also does it, I don't know who else..Carol

Comment

HSBC procedure for paying in cheques on line.

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/ways-to-bank/cheque-imaging/

It seems to indicate that it is available UK wide.

Brian

Comment

I send a cheque to all my nephews and nieces for their birthdays and see no reason to change.
                              A bit more personal than transferring it direct to their accounts.

Garf.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X