• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazed by people

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mauden, billingham
    started a topic Amazed by people

Amazed by people

Once on a cruise I was talking to a couple who admitted to me that they always stole a towel to take home ,
    When they saw the look of astonishment on my face they said " well don't you " "no I don't " I said " it would never occur to me to do that "
    Have you heard of people doing that ? To be honest I don't see myself turning into a thief for the sake of a towel , but there you go they do say it takes all sorts to make a world , when I look back I think I have met a lot of them ,

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I know what you mean Mrs M.

I did voluntary work in a local Sue Ryder charity shop. The majority of people who came in were regulars and nice people but occasionally we would notice someone trying to steal something.
    The manager told us never to challenge them in case we put ourselves at risk.
    My 'nicking' comment alluded to the main content of the thread and no experiences as a volunteer or passenger.

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    I have. more or less, ceased to be ''amazed'' by people.

I spend around eight hours a week volunteering at my local hospice. I was there for five hours today. Family and friends of patients come in and they buy a meal, coffee, tea sweets etc etc. Whilst card payment is becoming more popular, cash is still king and I learnt many, many years ago not to be surprised by those who pocket the loose change [10p and 20p pieces etc] and those who say ''stick it in the bucket [sealed donations].

I never judge [OK, nicking stuff is a ''bit'' OTT] , am rarely amazed and never expect.
    I know what you mean Mrs M.

I did voluntary work in a local Sue Ryder charity shop. The majority of people who came in were regulars and nice people but occasionally we would notice someone trying to steal something.
    The manager told us never to challenge them in case we put ourselves at risk.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    I have. more or less, ceased to be ''amazed'' by people.

I spend around eight hours a week volunteering at my local hospice. I was there for five hours today. Family and friends of patients come in and they buy a meal, coffee, tea sweets etc etc. Whilst card payment is becoming more popular, cash is still king and I learnt many, many years ago not to be surprised by those who pocket the loose change [10p and 20p pieces etc] and those who say ''stick it in the bucket [sealed donations].

I never judge [OK, nicking stuff is a ''bit'' OTT] , am rarely amazed and never expect.

Leave a comment:

• lucy, sutton
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post

Because they are freshly laundered and you still have the correct number in your cabin.... I guess...Carol
    But are people that desperate they want to take a towel??

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTroll, Leicester View Post
    Our funniest experience was when we took food from the buffet for a picnic ashore. (My wife requires a special diet, so no guarantee she can find something suitable to eat.) We borrowed table napkins and cutlery from the ship and upon our return, security confiscated the ship's knives and forks - as potentially dangerous weapons.
    Hi Bob
    Similar thing........
    Leaving a P&O ship in Southampton,before we left to get on a 5.5hr coach journey home i took an apple and a knife from the buffet.
    Being a diabetic and facing a 3 hr journey before our stop at ,usually Milton Canes services,,,the apple is in case i feel the effect of low carbs.

Months later i went on holiday to Spain,,,forgetting about the knife in my flight bag.
    On the return journey at Almeria airport i was pulled out of the queue for carrying a knife in my bag,it had fallen under the flat insert at the bottom of the bag.
    They accepted my explanation,but confiscated the knife.

Amazingly that knife went through Liverpool airport security on the way out.
    JC

Leave a comment:

• BobTroll, Leicester
    replied
    Our funniest experience was when we took food from the buffet for a picnic ashore. (My wife requires a special diet, so no guarantee she can find something suitable to eat.) We borrowed table napkins and cutlery from the ship and upon our return, security confiscated the ship's knives and forks - as potentially dangerous weapons.

Leave a comment:

• BobTroll, Leicester
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    Slippers are single person use.
    ​​​​
    Not always. I recall staying at an upmarket hotel in Thailand. We had no problems, when we checked out at the end of our holiday.

However, when another coupled checked out, they queried an unexpected charge on their bill. The receptionist smiled swetly and said it was a charge for the slippers, which were missing when the chambermaid checked their room.

Leave a comment:

• Wansbrough, North Somerset
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

I find most gowns are too small the OH finds most too big.
    Its the position of belt loops I find the most uncomfortable, usually about 6 inches under my armpits. Who wears a bely up there?

Leave a comment:

• Calgray, Yorkshire
    replied
    Had a surprise parcel arrive after one of our bookings for a P @ O cruise. (Not Cruise.co.uk) Two white bathrobes! Never have worn them though, not over keen on white and not a good fit.
    Still a nice surprise.
    Only thing that has ever tempted me is the Molton Brown shower gel we first had on Oceana (long since been discontinued)
    But our steward very kindly offered to refill a bottle for us to bring home. I have just had to buy some several times since. That perfume brings back wonderful memories.

Carol

Leave a comment:

• Little Red Rouster, Lancaster
    replied
    Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

Why would anyone want a towel from the trolley?

Simple:- If you take a towel from your cabin the cabin steward knows the towel is missing. A towel taken from a trolly could be anyone and the steward is not aware one is missing.

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post

I always find them the most uncomfortable things to wear. Never found one yet that I say was even anywhere near a nice fit.
    I find most gowns are too small the OH finds most too big.
    We often end up with a collection of robes in the cabin if the OH has the spa pass.
    Best we have found are the NCL Haven ones, which we sometimes get in regular cabins if VIPd.

At home I have two hooded ones from the bathrobe company expensive, but still look and feel good 20+ years on.

Leave a comment:

• Wansbrough, North Somerset
    replied
    Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
    We were so impressed with the Azamara dressing gowns we asked if we could purchase 2 of them. 2 new packed gowns arrived and there was no charge to the room.

The biggest problem was fitting them into the suitcases.

Cheers

Tony B
    I always find them the most uncomfortable things to wear. Never found one yet that I say was even anywhere near a nice fit.

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

Why would anyone want a towel from the trolley?

Because they are freshly laundered and you still have the correct number in your cabin.... I guess...Carol

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied
    Business euphemistically call it 'shrinkage' our company refer to 'five finger discount' (how polite could you make theft?). I don't mean the small stuff though - occasionally I don't charge for some items (good PR).

Bill

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X