• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazed by people

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't recall taking anything from a cruise or hotel, apart from pens or bags with advertising which are obviously free. In my college days, long ago, I had an extensive collection of souvenirs from pubs, mainly ash trays although I have never been a smoker. I also had a street sign for a road with my maiden name, but I wasn't guilty of stealing that, a room mate acquired it for me after a particularly lively evening. I didn't feel the need to return it though.

Sheila

Comment

My favourite student days sign, I still have, is one from London underground South Kensington tube station.

Not the big one the smaller one.

There is only so much you can fit under your shirt and down you trousers.

Comment

Hi all
        In my late teens We used to collect beer mats,we used line the walls of a sawmill I worked I for a while.
        Thousands of them from all over the country,if anyone in the mill went on holiday,more beer mates,if drivers bringing timber from docks all over the country,more beer mats.
        It even spread to pub signs and bar towels.

One for the quizers,,what is a beer mat collector called?...A Tegestologist.

JC
        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Unfortunately this practice is not just items from the cabins. Was on the Britannia last year and was talking to the staff about items going missing from the dining and buffet areas. On the Britannia in the buffet are ornaments on the wall of divers and according to the waiter a full set was stolen. As far as towels being taken passengers actually take them off the cabin stewards trolly's in the corridor. It is one thing taking a pen but taking towels from cabins and trolly's is pure theft in my book and anyone doing this should be dealt with accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
            Unfortunately this practice is not just items from the cabins. Was on the Britannia last year and was talking to the staff about items going missing from the dining and buffet areas. On the Britannia in the buffet are ornaments on the wall of divers and according to the waiter a full set was stolen. As far as towels being taken passengers actually take them off the cabin stewards trolly's in the corridor. It is one thing taking a pen but taking towels from cabins and trolly's is pure theft in my book and anyone doing this should be dealt with accordingly.
            Why would anyone want a towel from the trolley?

Comment

Business euphemistically call it 'shrinkage' our company refer to 'five finger discount' (how polite could you make theft?). I don't mean the small stuff though - occasionally I don't charge for some items (good PR).

Bill
              https://www.dropbox.com/s/okwd9apbxzcvxmq/maid%20of%20the%20loch.jpg?dl=0

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

Because they are freshly laundered and you still have the correct number in your cabin.... I guess...Carol

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
                  We were so impressed with the Azamara dressing gowns we asked if we could purchase 2 of them. 2 new packed gowns arrived and there was no charge to the room.

The biggest problem was fitting them into the suitcases.

Cheers

Tony B
                  I always find them the most uncomfortable things to wear. Never found one yet that I say was even anywhere near a nice fit.
                  www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post

I always find them the most uncomfortable things to wear. Never found one yet that I say was even anywhere near a nice fit.
                    I find most gowns are too small the OH finds most too big.
                    We often end up with a collection of robes in the cabin if the OH has the spa pass.
                    Best we have found are the NCL Haven ones, which we sometimes get in regular cabins if VIPd.

At home I have two hooded ones from the bathrobe company expensive, but still look and feel good 20+ years on.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

Simple:- If you take a towel from your cabin the cabin steward knows the towel is missing. A towel taken from a trolly could be anyone and the steward is not aware one is missing.

Comment

Had a surprise parcel arrive after one of our bookings for a P @ O cruise. (Not Cruise.co.uk) Two white bathrobes! Never have worn them though, not over keen on white and not a good fit.
                        Still a nice surprise.
                        Only thing that has ever tempted me is the Molton Brown shower gel we first had on Oceana (long since been discontinued)
                        But our steward very kindly offered to refill a bottle for us to bring home. I have just had to buy some several times since. That perfume brings back wonderful memories.

Carol
                        sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

I find most gowns are too small the OH finds most too big.
                          Its the position of belt loops I find the most uncomfortable, usually about 6 inches under my armpits. Who wears a bely up there?
                          www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                            Slippers are single person use.
                            ​​​​
                            Not always. I recall staying at an upmarket hotel in Thailand. We had no problems, when we checked out at the end of our holiday.

However, when another coupled checked out, they queried an unexpected charge on their bill. The receptionist smiled swetly and said it was a charge for the slippers, which were missing when the chambermaid checked their room.

Comment

Our funniest experience was when we took food from the buffet for a picnic ashore. (My wife requires a special diet, so no guarantee she can find something suitable to eat.) We borrowed table napkins and cutlery from the ship and upon our return, security confiscated the ship's knives and forks - as potentially dangerous weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTroll, Leicester View Post
                                Our funniest experience was when we took food from the buffet for a picnic ashore. (My wife requires a special diet, so no guarantee she can find something suitable to eat.) We borrowed table napkins and cutlery from the ship and upon our return, security confiscated the ship's knives and forks - as potentially dangerous weapons.
                                Hi Bob
                                Similar thing........
                                Leaving a P&O ship in Southampton,before we left to get on a 5.5hr coach journey home i took an apple and a knife from the buffet.
                                Being a diabetic and facing a 3 hr journey before our stop at ,usually Milton Canes services,,,the apple is in case i feel the effect of low carbs.

Months later i went on holiday to Spain,,,forgetting about the knife in my flight bag.
                                On the return journey at Almeria airport i was pulled out of the queue for carrying a knife in my bag,it had fallen under the flat insert at the bottom of the bag.
                                They accepted my explanation,but confiscated the knife.

Amazingly that knife went through Liverpool airport security on the way out.
                                JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X