• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dramatic cost cutting on Cunard's Queen Victoria!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dramatic cost cutting on Cunard's Queen Victoria!

Have just returned from 10 days on Queen Victoria and noticed some cost cutting measures.

The String Quartet is no longer. Shock, horror, a 25% cost cutting exercise has reduced the Quartet to a Trio. I checked out the harpist and fortunately she is still 100% with all arms, legs and fingers present.

The nice black retractable ball pens, with the Cunard logo, placed in cabins have been replaced by tacky red topped black pencils with hard leads.

Several of the delicacies on offer in the Afternoon Tea are clearly "bought in" leading one to presume others also may be.

What to do?

Are you being serious or tongue in cheek? Lol.
    I cant remember what writing implement we had in our cabin in June but for the amount of people that take them I’m sure a pencil is a cheaper loss.

All my afternoon tea was pre packed. Gluten free scones and pastries but still extremely yummy.

Que Mrs M ..... 🙈
    Past cruises:
    Carnival Conquest October 2002
    Independence of the Seas October 2012
    Independence of the Seas May 2014
    Explorer of the Seas June 2015
    Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

As someone who always 'steals' the pen/pencil from every cruise ship/hotel, I do regard the quality of the writing implement a measure of a company's ranking in the corporate world. ..........Wilba

Wilba

Comment

Yes, it was the same on QE in October. On quite a few occasions, the wallet containing the slip to be signed, was presented with a broken Biro. I queried this and was told that they used to get a new box of Cunard pens in every bar on every trip, but now they've been told to make do. Fortunately, in QG rooms they still give you two proper pens.

The string trio is a bit of a loss as they lose the depth, but with there no longer being any Chart Room on the QV or QE, there are fewer places for them to play. On our trip, it was mostly on Deck 1 in the Atrium. Not quite the same as the Chart Room on QV, although quite a few pax sat around to listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
          As someone who always 'steals' the pen/pencil from every cruise ship/hotel, I do regard the quality of the writing implement a measure of a company's ranking in the corporate world. ..........Wilba

Wilba, given the number of cruises you have completed your drawers must be overfilled with pens by now!!

Comment

I would expect items like pens in cabins to be replaced every cruise on health grounds.

People handle them and put them in their mouths.

Cheaper/easier than cleaning them.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
              I would expect items like pens in cabins to be replaced every cruise on health grounds.

Good point

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
                Are you being serious or tongue in cheek? Lol.
                I cant remember what writing implement we had in our cabin in June but for the amount of people that take them I’m sure a pencil is a cheaper loss.

All my afternoon tea was pre packed. Gluten free scones and pastries but still extremely yummy.

Que Mrs M ..... 🙈
                Thanks CC. Hope you're well.

To the thread

String trio doesn’t have the same tone does it although they were still quartet'ing earlier on in the year. Maybe an illness?
                I will confirm, next year on one of our booked cruises.
                Can’t comment on the teatime offerings as I don’t consume frequently enough to notice and obviously, I don’t know for certain, but I’d be very surprised if anything normal, dietary wise, was “ brought in”.

Pencils?
                The place is obviously going to the dogs! Jump cruise line immediately!

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser, Larne View Post

Wilba, given the number of cruises you have completed your drawers must be overfilled with pens by now!!
                  You have just inspired me to do something I have not done before.

I have just emptied and counted my 'cruise pen drawer' !!!!!!!!

Saddo that I am, 109 pens.............Wilba
                  Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

I often wondered that about the small boiled sweets P&O used to supply in the cabins. Were any left at the end of a cruise thrown away or was the dish just topped up for the next cruise? Ditto the toiletries - are they all thrown away at the end of the cruise or just the obviously used ones?

How many passengers hands do they all go through?
                    Last edited by JohnR, Chippenham; 10th December 2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

String trio doesn’t have the same tone does it although they were still quartet'ing earlier on in the year. Maybe an illness?

On QM2 last year, it was a quartet, but on QE last year, they had started using trios and it's been like that ever since on QE and QV. Probably just seeing out the contracts.

Comment

Hi all
                        Well that's my mind made up why I don't sail Cunard.

Maybe I can be persuaded to change my mind if thy throw a free pencil sharpener in....

Is this thread for real!!...are these really the things that concern Cunarders?
                        JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Oh dear oh dear. As I shall be on QV next week, perhaps I should cancel.

Actually, I had a pencil in the cabin on QE a few weeks ago and I didn't even notice the quartet or sample tea time yummies.

I think I'll stick with it, especially as I won the cruise in a lucky draw.

It will be 3 days of Christmas cheer and plenty of spirit.
                          Jill

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                            Hi all

Maybe I can be persuaded to change my mind if thy throw a free pencil sharpener in....

JC
                            You made me smile JC.

Unless the pens are very high quality, they remain in the cabin.

Same rule applies to toiletries. I wonder when the cruise lines will switch to the system used in many Japanese hotels - 500 ml pump dispenser bottles of toiletries which they top up as required. Just think of all the plastic that will be saved.

Annie

PS The dispenser bottles are NOT wall mounted - easily accessible by the vertically challenged
                            Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 10th December 2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                              Hi all

JC
                              Oh dear JC liven up a little, a lighthearted posting to take our minds off Brexit, the Election and Christmas being thrust down our throats!

In fact, that was one of the best things about the cruise - none of the B, E and C.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X