• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough is Enough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough is Enough

When are they going to take serious action on this situation

Holiday getaway chaos at Calais: 'Migrant activity' causes five-hour delays as thousands of families head for the continent

• Le Shuttle is warning of serious delays crossing from Folkestone to Calais
    • Services were suspended shortly before midnight due to 'migrant activity'
    • Operator will be tweeting travel updates to passengers throughout today
    • 5,000 migrants are camping at Calais, and eight have died in eight weeks

This is getting ridiculous

WHAT DO YOU THINK.

It is a hopeless situation for all concerned. I have no idea what the solution is going to be as the flow of people trying to find a better life is seemingly endless. They must be desperate, surely no one wants to be camped outside Calais, but how do they repatriate men who have no desire to return to their home country?

My big concern is how the wives and children who are left behind cope?..Carol
    Last edited by Guy, Ormskirk; 6th August 2015, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Shall I go really out there and dare to say it was inevitable the tunnel would end up being used in this way. I'm not detracting from the plight of anyone but we were safer as an island. Weren't we?

Comment

Not sure if safe was the right word

Comment

We have to make out country less attractive to these people and ensure that those whose asylum applications are refused are removed. I watched a documentary last week where a car was stopped by police and it was found that the driver was an illegal immigrant from Afghanistan who had already been deported twice before. He was arrested and handed over to Immigration who just released him and told him to report back later. The police asked him "why UK? why not Italy, Greece, France etc. or the first safe country. He told them that all migrants are told that in England they will be treated well.
          Maybe it's time for identity cards in this country? Whatever the solution, our government need to act rather than talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
            It is a hopeless situation for all concerned. I have no idea what the solution is going to be as the flow of people trying to find a better life is seemingly endless. They must be desperate, surely no one wants to be camped outside Calais, but how do they repatriate men who have no desire to return to their home country?

My big concern is how are the wives and children who are left behind cope?..Carol
            Are these people fleeing to find a better life ???

Surely by getting to France they have found that better life, why then do they all seem to want to get across the Channel to the UK.

If they are so desperate France, Italy must be a million times better than what they have left, why then the UK.

Somebody must be doing a good job in promoting the UK as this place of milk & honey, utopia.
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I think you are right Delboy, I have watched a few programmes recently and the image of Britain seems to be that they will be housed and find work easily, fee health care and it will all be fantastic. We know that isn't the reality but the migrants obviously don't think that..Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

Surely by getting to France they have found that better life, why then do they all seem to want to get across the Channel to the UK.

If they are so desperate France, Italy must be a million times better than what they have left, why then the UK.

Somebody must be doing a good job in promoting the UK as this place of milk & honey, utopia.
                France will NOT give them any benefits or acces to them until they have paid a substantial amount into the social security system and who can blame them? If Brits living in France want ANY benefits, they must work in France and pay into the system or in terms of healthcare, pay into a private system. I cannot speak for Italy, I have never owned a home or lived there.

I love France and have many French friends, however, their Government is another story! People think this Country is bureaucratic, we have nothing on the French, I am amazed sometimes how things ever get done, so much red tape & in my experience 'jobsworths'. No one over there will be rushing to stop the 'Calais problem' they see it as ours, many believe we bought it on ourselves by being so generous! They figure that if we had sorted the problem, they would not have had to deal with so many wanting to get here! I have some sympathy with their view!

However, WHO is going after the gangs who help smuggle them into Europe, making a fortune? WHO is manning the Borders to stop them entering France ectera..... ? Well as far I as know, not a soul! We are all part of the EU, more fool us!

The British economy is suffering big time from spoiled food, worrying times for truck drivers and holiday makers, to name just two groups.

I await some action, but fear it will get much worse!

We really are seen as a very soft touch and in many cases we are!
                Lizzie sigpic

Comment

We have an army, navy and airforce to defend our country of such attempted invasions.

Why not use them?............Wilba
                  Wilba

Comment

[QUOTE=Delboy, Essex;682999]Are these people fleeing to find a better life ???

/QUOTE]

The fact that most of them speak more English than French, Italian, German, Greek etc.must be one of the main drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                      We have an army, navy and airforce to defend our country of such attempted invasions.

Why not use them?............Wilba
                      Exactly but have we any money to or has it all been spent elsewhere? I can't start or I won't stop, but I do wish we would take a leaf out of Australia's book!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkinsmg View Post
                        Exactly but have we any money to or has it all been spent elsewhere? I can't start or I won't stop, but I do wish we would take a leaf out of Australia's book!
                        It is easier to enforce in Australia primarily because of its geography.

Annie

Comment

[QUOTE=JohnR, Chippenham;683011]
                          Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

/QUOTE]

The fact that most of them speak more English than French, Italian, German, Greek etc.must be one of the main drivers.
                          My thoughts exactly. And what a price to pay for having the international language! Beryl

Comment

[QUOTE=B&D, Shepton Mallet;683021]
                            Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

My thoughts exactly. And what a price to pay for having the international language! Beryl
                            And why is English a universal language??

Annie

Comment

Huh. You want to try living here.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X