• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is your cabin / hotel safe secure ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your cabin / hotel safe secure ?

We all rely heavily on hotel / ship safes to protect our cash and valuables, so much so I always look for hotels that have them in the room. As you know, all decent hotels have them nowadays but are they safe ?

I read this article and watched the video and wondered if we deposit all our valuables into the safe not knowing if it’s actually secure. There’s also an article in the Sun online. I’ve been unable to get into our safe on one cruise and the engineer had to connect an electronic device to the safe to gain access - no code entered. The safe override codes in this article are of some concern and worth checking next time you’re in a hotel.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/5409...secure-advice/

https://youtu.be/De0D7otNxME

When deciding whether to place your faith in a hotel safe remember to take into account the location, class, and reputation of the establishment. If it doesn’t meet the highest standards don’t take the risk and leave the jewellery and other sentimental items at home.

Hotels and Cruise ship safes allow passengers to enter their own codes, so if and when things go wrong the hotel has an overriding code produced by an electronic device. In the hotel I worked in prior to retirement, this device was kept in the hotels main reception safe, to which only management had access, the device being operated by the maintenance duty manager. The hotel where I worked we had a duty maintenance manager on call 24 hour.

Personally I rarely use Hotel or ships safes as somehow I always seem to lock myself out and then have to wait for a member of staff to come and open. If I do have something that I want to lock away, I lock it in my case.

The higher the class of establishment the more confidence I would have that they had invested in a high standard safe, how many times have you read of somebody having something stolen from their safe whilst on a cruise.
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 30th August 2019, 10:45 AM.
    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Other than my passports, probably my mobile phone and a limited amount of Foreign currency, there is nothing I leave in the safe of extreme value. Like everyone else I have to put my trust in those who service our cabins/hotel rooms in the hope that nothing is taken.

In over 100 cruises and probably a lot more hotels, I've been lucky up to now............Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
        Other than my passports, probably my mobile phone and a limited amount of Foreign currency, there is nothing I leave in the safe of extreme value. Like everyone else I have to put my trust in those who service our cabins/hotel rooms in the hope that nothing is taken.

In over 100 cruises and probably a lot more hotels, I've been lucky up to now............Wilba
        Agreed.

Is it not a requirement of most insurance policies, that you place valuables in a safe??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
          We all rely heavily on hotel / ship safes to protect our cash and valuables, so much so I always look for hotels that have them in the room. As you know, all decent hotels have them nowadays but are they safe ?

I read this article and watched the video and wondered if we deposit all our valuables into the safe not knowing if it’s actually secure. There’s also an article in the Sun online. I’ve been unable to get into our safe on one cruise and the engineer had to connect an electronic device to the safe to gain access - no code entered. The safe override codes in this article are of some concern and worth checking next time you’re in a hotel.

We have used safe deposit boxes in hotels but the cabin safe onboard. I .made a hash of trying to access our cabin safe [QV] a few years ago and boy, what a palaver getting access to it. I had to go down to Front Desk, request someone come and help me [showing cruise card to verify my cabin] and then wait until the senior housekeeper came up.
          Verifying my identity again, I had to sign for the fact a member of staff was going to access our safe and only then, did she override whatever the code was I had hashed up.I think she had a device to do this.

We then signed again to say access had been achieved. I have total confidence in using the cabin safe.

Comment

I had occasion to request a safe being opened on a Celebrity ship, cannot recall which one. We called from the room requesting the task, were told to remain there and a short time later a maintenance operative arrived with an electronic device which he used to open the safe.

One thing that bothers me though is that on Explorer of the Seas recently the cabin number was printed on the key card. No deck is shown but it wouldn't take a genius to work it out! I don't recall this ever being shown on any cards before but I could be wrong. We never take any valuable jewellery away with us ever since it was stolen in a Southampton hotel but I do leave my IPad, passports and money locked in the safe when away from the room.

Comment

My last was cruise was on HAL.

Their safes were operated by a card with a magnetic strip. Their instructions recommend you use a cc. However any card with a magnetic strip does but it has to be the same card.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                My last was cruise was on HAL.

Their safes were operated by a card with a magnetic strip. Their instructions recommend you use a cc. However any card with a magnetic strip does but it has to be the same card.

Annie
                Bit difficult to keep your CC in the safe if you have to use it to operate the same safe!

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

We were about to disembark QM2 in New York a couple of years ago and I somehow managed to muck up the safe combination when getting our valuables out of it. We had to wait while a member of the pursers office came along to get it open with an over ride then had to sign our lives away to get our belongings. She was very busy and I felt a bit told off 😲
                  Stupid thing is we nearly always use the same code....I just got it mixed up
                  BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X