• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use the WiFi in cafes and hotels - think again !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi Garf
    I had an e mail purporting to be from Halifax asking me to ring them to set up a one time password.
    I thought it was a scam and binned it.
    I Googled the phone number it said to contact,,,all the replies on Google said,yes it was a Halifax number but it was a scam.

Halifax told me any e mail from them will show the last 4 numbers of my account,,this e mail never had it.

I will have to pop into the branch and find out.

JC
    Hi JC

Halifax ask customers to forward suspicious emails to:

security@halifax.co.uk

Then delete them. Of course never click on suspicious links.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Hi Garf
      Not worried about financial stuff. Everything in our house hold which could be considered remotely financial is done from a desk top at home. Never, ever from any other source and never from outside the home.
      I don't have a phone which can access the internet, so that's definitely internet secure.

I don't think I explained myself properly. I get digital footprints etc but WHAT can be hacked? For Instance, if I look at CD on my tablet [it's in my favs so no typing in the site address] say, in Costa, and I'm not logged in, can my password for that site be seen by anyone else, even if I don't log in, or do I actually have to physically key in the password on the tablet there and then for it to be taken/seen/hacked by someone else.
      Your password cannot be seen

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

But it can still be hacked??

Annie

Comment

Scary??

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/21/e...ntl/index.html

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
              I wish Duncan would stick his head round the door as he was always our go to guy on matters such as this.
              Oh dear, I'll try my best.

There are a few different concepts being conflated here, so worth explaining.

First, a secure WiFi network means you enter a password when you connect to it (or did at one point). That's always preferable. Unsecured / open WiFi networks are much less safe.

If using an unsecured / open WiFi network I'd definitely use a VPN (Virtual Private Network), as this secures the data being to and from your device in an encrypted stream that nobody can read. That said, you have to be able to trust the company offering the VPN as they could just as easily snoop on your data. I use Encrypt.me and trust them, but there are certainly other trustworthy suppliers.

The padlock in your browser's address bar is much less useful these days. Anyone can get the necessary certificates (you'll see one on my blog) and all they tell you is that the data between you and the computer running the website (the server) is encrypted. This is a good thing, and these secure connections should be ubiquitous these days. However they don't tell you anything about the owner of the website. For example, it would be easy for someone to get a certificate for their website "focebook.com" (showing you the little padlock) but if you think you're talking to Facebook then it doesn't matter that the data you send to them is encrypted.

Part of this is an element of awareness and suspicion. If someone asks for a lot of data to let you sign up for a WiFi hotspot, ask yourself if this is really necessary, and if you want to hand over that information. It can be really hard to stay aware, and some of these social engineering type scams are becoming very very good. But always be aware of where you're entering your information. If you're in a public setting and the only option is a public WiFi hotspot - maybe think about how urgent what you're doing is and if it could wait until you get home, or to a more secure / known network.

One final tip (maybe the biggest tip) is that you should use a strong, unique password for every site you visit. This means that if one site gets hacked, or you fall for one of those social engineering websites mentioned above, they don't have the password for all of your websites - only that one.

In my opinion, everyone should use a password manager to help generate these strong, unique passwords. The whole point is that they'd be impossible to remember otherwise. My passwords all look something like this:

Y9n2LR*ihPyv*>ts4xNtK=MYEL7kad

This is impossible to remember, so I use a password manager to remember them for me. It also lets me know if my password is weak, a duplicate, or has been included in any breaches. I work for a company who make a password manager, so I won't make a public recommendation because it would be inherently biased. Whichever one you use, you should use something.
              Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Hi Duncan
                Nice to see you still lurk..thanks for the info and I'll have to think about getting a VPN, Nord seems to be the go to at the moment but I'll certainly have a look at Encrypt me.
                Tunnelbear has also been recommended by folks on a football forum.
                Thanks again and don't be a stranger
                Regards
                Garf.

Comment

Garfield, Waterlooville Thanks! I definitely still pop in occasionally. I’ve been busy with work and distracted by life recently so haven’t had the time as much as I used to.
                  Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X