• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use the WiFi in cafes and hotels - think again !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use the WiFi in cafes and hotels - think again !

Just been reading this and I’m glad I decided to invest in a VPN (virtual private network) when I’m using free WiFi at home and abroad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ne...k-account.html

This is extremely worrying. I do very little buying online, but obviously one would be enough. I don't bank online and wouldn't dream of getting out the laptop or phone in a public place. It seems hotel rooms are unsafe too. I don't pretend to understand half of what goes on online,

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
      This is extremely worrying. I do very little buying online, but obviously one would be enough. I don't bank online and wouldn't dream of getting out the laptop or phone in a public place. It seems hotel rooms are unsafe too. I don't pretend to understand half of what goes on online,
      I agree Judith - I don't always understand all of the tech. That is one of the reasons I have very few 'smart' devices in the home.

In The Japanese hotels I used, each room had its own unique router and password. Interestingly free public wifi was very hard to find in Japan.

i bank online but my banks have issued me with card readers. The regulations for on-line shopping are being tightened.

i have a cap on how much money I hold in any one on-line bank account.

Annie

Comment

It's not difficult. Do not use an unsecured network for shopping or banking.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
          i have done that for years. I have used on-line banking for over 15 years. However how secure is a secured network??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
            Does that mean the site has to have a padlock on it?
            I buy online, but only from my laptop at home. Same for banking.

Can someone enlighten me please.
            If I use my tablet, in an unsecured spot, can all my passwords etc from my tablet be ''hacked'' or is it only if I actually key them in at that time? I use thumb print to access the tablet and the sites I ''surf'' have automatic log in so no keys used for passwords etc.

Comment

Hi Mrs M
              Look at the payment address of the website...it should read https..the s means secure.
              Banks and payment websites should all have it.

Logging onto any outside free wifi has always been the same as you leave a digital footprint and could be easily hacked.

I never use my phone for online banking.

Ensure your antispyware and virus checker is always up to date and you should be ok.
              I use Windows Defender on my laptop and have Samsungs own version of it's security on my phone.

As Annie says the regs are changing and when logging on you will get a one time passcode on your phone before they will allow you access..my bank Santander has already contacted us about the change.

It should make your account more secure.

Never had a problem yet.
              Regards
              Garfield
              Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 21st July 2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Does that mean the site has to have a padlock on it?
                I buy online, but only from my laptop at home. Same for banking.

Can someone enlighten me please.
                If I use my tablet, in an unsecured spot, can all my passwords etc from my tablet be ''hacked'' or is it only if I actually key them in at that time? I use thumb print to access the tablet and the sites I ''surf'' have automatic log in so no keys used for passwords etc.
                I’ve been using NordVPN for sometime now especially on holiday, (there’s plenty of others out there). You can switch it on and off at anytime. It’s always off when I’m at home.

“A virtual private network extends a private network across a public network, and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to a private network”.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                  Hi Mrs M
                  Look at the payment address of the website...it should read https..the s means secure.

Logging onto any outside free wifi has always been the same as you leave a digital footprint and could be easily hacked.

Ensure your antispyware and virus checker is always up to date and you should be ok.
                  I use Windows Defender on my laptop and have Samsungs own version of it's security on my phone.

As Annie says the regs are changing and when logging on you will get a one time passcode on your phone before they will allow you access..my bank Santander has already contacted us about the change.

Never had a problem yet.
                  Regards
                  Garfield
                  Hi Garf
                  Not worried about financial stuff. Everything in our house hold which could be considered remotely financial is done from a desk top at home. Never, ever from any other source and never from outside the home.
                  I don't have a phone which can access the internet, so that's definitely internet secure.

I don't think I explained myself properly. I get digital footprints etc but WHAT can be hacked? For Instance, if I look at CD on my tablet [it's in my favs so no typing in the site address] say, in Costa, and I'm not logged in, can my password for that site be seen by anyone else, even if I don't log in, or do I actually have to physically key in the password on the tablet there and then for it to be taken/seen/hacked by someone else.

Comment

Hi again Mrs M
                    As long as you keep your malware protection up to date then you should be ok.

I regularly check mine for updates and install them asap.

Nobody is totally secure as the bad guys are always finding new ways of phishing which seems to be the main entry point to your electronic devices for those less savvy.

Regards
                    Garf
                    Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 21st July 2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                      Hi Mrs M

Never had a problem yet.
                      Regards
                      Garfield
                      Hi Garf
                      I had an e mail purporting to be from Halifax asking me to ring them to set up a one time password.
                      I thought it was a scam and binned it.
                      I Googled the phone number it said to contact,,,all the replies on Google said,yes it was a Halifax number but it was a scam.

Halifax told me any e mail from them will show the last 4 numbers of my account,,this e mail never had it.

I will have to pop into the branch and find out.

JC
                      C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                      "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Still don;'t know the answer to my query,
                        Just by looking at sites, can [not used/keyed in] passwords be accessed.

If I got anything from my bank asking me to log in, I'd phone first for verification. I don't trust first request, I'd want it verified by a person.

Comment

Hi jc
                          The scammers have probably already cottoned onto the latest security.
                          My notification came by letter so I figured it was from Santander.
                          Regards
                          Garf.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                            Still don;'t know the answer to my query,
                            Just by looking at sites, can [not used/keyed in] passwords be accessed.

If I got anything from my bank asking me to log in, I'd phone first for verification. I don't trust first request, I'd want it verified by a person.
                            I don't think so unless your computer has malware on it..
                            I wish Duncan would stick his head round the door as he was always our go to guy on matters such as this.
                            My knowledge is very limited.
                            Where's TD when you need him?

Regards
                            Garf

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                              Just been reading this and I’m glad I decided to invest in a VPN (virtual private network) when I’m using free WiFi at home and abroad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ne...k-account.html
                              A VPN is definitely worth getting if you intend to use insecure wifi. I had one for work which I had to use at home with my own Wi-Fi when transmitting to the office. Very simple to use.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X