• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska advice

Hi folks, At long last, I’ve got the New Orleans( Mardis Gras) cruise booked via Celebrity for my wife’s big birthday 🤫 - not a bad deal at the end of the day (February) but I’m now looking for an Alaskan cruise. It’s been on our bucket list for far too long. However, I need some advice as it’s a minefield. Which itinerary, (Hubbard glacier is a must), ship recommendations etc. Seems there’s some good, strong deals via Celebrity at the moment with drinks, gratuities and $400 obc for 2020 itineraries. As always, any advice appreciated.

We love Alaska. I would choose a smaller ship that can get in closer to Hubbard. Skagway is interesting but has become rather commercial. We enjoyed the Yukon and Whitepass train ride. Ketchikan is also a bit touristy, but the old town is very picturesque. We went whale watching from Juneau the first time we went and that was very successful. Juneau gets very crowded mid season.

My favourite place is Kodiak, but I think you only get that port on a crossing from Japan

Comment

I've recently booked a 12 day round trip from Vancouver
      I debated about this itinerary and that itinerary and could have tied myself in knots but in the end just booked one that appealed. Inside passage is apparently a must and not all cruise lines do that. It also visits Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay as well as some other less visited ports like Sitka and Icy Strait Point. This cruise is going May 2020 with Princess. Visit Cc Alaska site for very useful info,but sometimes you can read too much and not actually do!!Small ship approx 650pax

Comment

Just back from Alaska. For us the highlights of the trip were Glacier Bay and College Fjord. We also went to Hubbard Glacier. There was beautiful scenery for the whole trip. We went from Vancouver so did the inside passage. Our ship was Island Princess and we did both the northbound and southbound voyages over two weeks. It was absolutely amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie, Basingstoke View Post
          Just back from Alaska. For us the highlights of the trip were Glacier Bay and College Fjord. We also went to Hubbard Glacier. There was beautiful scenery for the whole trip. We went from Vancouver so did the inside passage. Our ship was Island Princess and we did both the northbound and southbound voyages over two weeks. It was absolutely amazing.
          I sailed N-S which was easier for international flights.

Agree 100% on Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

Try and incorporate a land portion to include Mount Denali.

Inside Passage pales by comparison to the aforementioned - JMO.

Annie

PS Small ship over large ship.

Comment

Having cruised the Inside passage Van-Van twice and Vancouver to Anchorage once, I think the highlight of all the cruises was Glacier Bay [above College and Hubbard]. The cruise lines which have been issued with new 10 yr permits from this October are
            Princess Cruise Lines Ltd, Holland America Line Inc., NCL (Bahamas) Ltd, Carnival plc (Cunard Line), Seabourn Cruise Line Limited, Viking Cruises Ltd and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
            Holland America and Princess being the ''legacy lines''.

We cruised with Holland America but that was a while ago now and so I can't vouch for them, although we had a great time on all three cruises. My choice would be Cunard, but Seabourn HAL and Viking would feature for us, if Cunard didn't.

edit
            The permits are for Glacier Bay.
            Last edited by Mrs M; 20th July 2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Have done it twice, both with Princess although some years ago. Hubbard glacier is awesome. Agree with previous comment re the White Pass Railroad trip from Ketchikan. All the ports are a bit commercial. If funds allow, the helicopter and sea plane trips are worthwhile in my opinion. If you are looking for a pre or post cruise tour, My preference was for the Canadian Rockies trip. Absolutely breathtaking scenery. Also, if time permits, try to visit Vancouver Island. We booked our own stay there after our last cruise. Got there by Pacific Coach Lines bus which takes you onto the BC ferry and on to Victoria which is beautiful. Great part of the world.

Comment

Lots of information to take in. Many thanks

Comment

We are looking at Alaska for our next whole family trip in 2020. My preference would be for a one way cruise with a land stay, but I suspect that might be a bit expensive for the families of four. We did round trip Vancouver on our very first cruise twenty five years ago. I believe it has become very commercialized since then with Diamonds International and similar stores on the streets. We will have to travel in August which is the most expensive and most crowded time, but the only month when UK and Canadian school holidays coincide.

I would agree with the recommendations for Vancouver Island and the Rockies as well as spending a few days in Vancouver. All are well worth visiting. The train through the Rockies is,I believe, spectacular, but expensive. We have driven from Calgary to Vancouver several times, and once from Vancouver to Calgary. The advantage of driving is that you can stop along the way and spend an hour or ,so enjoying some particularly interesting places. You do really need two drivers so viewing can be shared. On our first trip, one of our sons complained that his neck was sore from looking up.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                    We are looking at Alaska for our next whole family trip in 2020. My preference would be for a one way cruise with a land stay, but I suspect that might be a bit expensive for the families of four. We did round trip Vancouver on our very first cruise twenty five years ago. I believe it has become very commercialized since then with Diamonds International and similar stores on the streets. We will have to travel in August which is the most expensive and most crowded time, but the only month when UK and Canadian school holidays coincide.

I would agree with the recommendations for Vancouver Island and the Rockies as well as spending a few days in Vancouver. All are well worth visiting. The train through the Rockies is,I believe, spectacular, but expensive. We have driven from Calgary to Vancouver several times, and once from Vancouver to Calgary. The advantage of driving is that you can stop along the way and spend an hour or ,so enjoying some particularly interesting places. You do really need two drivers so viewing can be shared. On our first trip, one of our sons complained that his neck was sore from looking up.

Sheila
                    Agree road is better than train through the Rockies. We did it by coach with an excellent guide and driver, and often stopped to look at things of interest.

Comment

I cruised Alaska with the following literary

Vancouver
                      Icy Straight point
                      Tracy arm fjord
                      Skagway
                      Juneau
                      Vancouver

at Icy straight point:-

we did a morning and afternoon excursion

the morning

a ride on the world's longest zip line

video below

afternoon we did a wildlife and bear search and saw bears at very close range

Skagway:-

here again we booked a morning and an afternoon excursion

morning White pass train

unfortunately there was landslide just before our departure time which blocked the line, so we didn't manage to do the excursion

afternoon Helicopter ride to a Glacier and a walk about on it, Expensive but well worth the cost

Juneau:-

whale watch/Mendenhall glacier/ BBQ Orca Lodge.

All three were really good. we saw a baby whale breaching for about 20 minutes

video In next post

the BBQ was fresh salmon in a marinade invented by the chef of the Lodge and it was delicious

Last edited by Pete, Caerphilly; 21st July 2019, 05:17 PM.
                      Pete

sigpic
                      If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Comment

whale watching the baby whale breaching

Pete

sigpic
                        If I can't be SKIING then CRUISING is the next best thing

Comment

Just watched your zip line video, incredible

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X