• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Caribbean’s baggage policy on a fly cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Royal Caribbean’s baggage policy on a fly cruise

    Booked a cruise for my 80 year old mother in law and her sister departing Southampton. Bearing in mind their age, I arranged everything namely flights, drinks package, gratuities transfers etc so they didn’t have anything to worry about. It was my first time booking a fly cruise that involved Flybe. When I eventually located the booking reference for the flight, I had a peek but didn’t see any luggage allowance other than 10 kilos hand luggage. A quick email to my booking agent at RCI resulted in a confirmation that 23kilos was included in a Fly cruise. However, as a precautionary measure, I printed off the email as I still couldn’t see the luggage allowance when I checked them in at T-36 hrs. Sure enough, upon arrival at the Flybe desk at Glasgow they were advised they didn’t have any hold luggage allowance. She produced the email and, as a courtesy, they were allowed to deposit their cases. Does anyone have similar experiences of this ? Has the policy changed with Fly / Cruise or is it just RCI ?

    #2
    Wow Mike. Just as well you printed off the e-mail otherwise their holiday would have got off to a terrible start.
    Thankfully we have never had this problem, A cautionary tale indeed.!! Jan.

    Comment


      #3
      Nothing surprises me when FlyMayBe is involved.

      10 years ago we booked and paid for an extra bag. Travelling to Soton was fine, but on our return they demanded another £160 excess baggage charge. I pointed out that we had 3 bags not 2, but the girl smiled and showed me the small print and was pleased to tell me that it didn't matter how many extra bags we paid for, 20kg was still the maximum allowed each.

      We took our bags back, and put on loads of clothes and stuffed our pockets.

      They didn't get any extra out of us, but many others were caught also and stumped up.

      as that's not the only problem we ever encountered with FlyMaybe it's an airline that we now avoid at all costs.

      Stewart

      Comment


        #4
        I always print everything off. I find it annoying that on some flights it takes a considerable amount of effort to find out what your luggage allowance is, and even when you have paid it, they will try and get more!!

        Hope your mum and aunt have had a wonderful time .................................................. ......Carol

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
          Booked a cruise for my 80 year old mother in law and her sister departing Southampton. Bearing in mind their age, I arranged everything namely flights, drinks package, gratuities transfers etc so they didn’t have anything to worry about. It was my first time booking a fly cruise that involved Flybe. When I eventually located the booking reference for the flight, I had a peek but didn’t see any luggage allowance other than 10 kilos hand luggage. A quick email to my booking agent at RCI resulted in a confirmation that 23kilos was included in a Fly cruise. However, as a precautionary measure, I printed off the email as I still couldn’t see the luggage allowance when I checked them in at T-36 hrs. Sure enough, upon arrival at the Flybe desk at Glasgow they were advised they didn’t have any hold luggage allowance. She produced the email and, as a courtesy, they were allowed to deposit their cases. Does anyone have similar experiences of this ? Has the policy changed with Fly / Cruise or is it just RCI ?
          We always send suitcases to and from Southampton via The Baggage Handling Company. They collect a couple of days in advance and are waiting outside customs hall on return. Very reliable

          Comment


            #6
            I print everything as I don’t trust ebookings.

            We are flying to Tennessee later this year With Virgin and Flybe is our first leg Edi - Man. We’ve booked Economy plus so can have 2 hold cases each so fingers crossed Flybe knows this. 🤔
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
              I print everything as I don’t trust ebookings.

              We are flying to Tennessee later this year With Virgin and Flybe is our first leg Edi - Man. We’ve booked Economy plus so can have 2 hold cases each so fingers crossed Flybe knows this. 🤔
              Are you flying into Nashville ?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

                Are you flying into Nashville ?
                No we’re flying into Memphis as we have friends who live there but we are staying in Nashville for 3 nights and New Orleans for 4 with some 1 nighters in between.
                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

                  No we’re flying into Memphis as we have friends who live there but we are staying in Nashville for 3 nights and New Orleans for 4 with some 1 nighters in between.
                  Just wondered, flew out of Nashville on our way home from Augusta and there was live music in one of the bars....it was fantastic. Nashville undergoing some extensive improvements at the moment.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

                    Just wondered, flew out of Nashville on our way home from Augusta and there was live music in one of the bars....it was fantastic. Nashville undergoing some extensive improvements at the moment.
                    The bar with the music sounds a great way to pas the time.
                    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                    Comment


                    We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.


                    By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

                    Working...
                    X