• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jc, liverpool
    started a topic Which one?

Which one?

Hi all
    Believe it or not!!
    I am looking at a quickie cruise from Liverpool with Fred Olsen next month,,,just to try Fred.

One goes to Faroe Islands and the other goes to the Scottish Islands.

Which would you choose?

JC

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Belfast if Fred don't provide a free shuttle if at the dock near the airport there is a local bus(94/94b) weekdays £5 all day ticker.

Try this link for the last bus back from the city

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi Annie
    When you’ve been to one distillery you’ve been to all of them.
    I certainly wouldn’t pay £100 for what is really 3 small tasters at the end of the tour.
    I’ll have 3 Glenmorangie on the ship and save myself £80.

Its different if the distillery is just off the ship like the Tobermory Distillery,,,just across the road from that great Fish & Chip caravan on the queue.
    JC
    The Dalmore is 5 miles away in Alness but unfortunately hasn't opened to visitors since closing for the Covid regulations. A nice bottle of The Dalmore would make a change. There is a small Co-op supermarket recently opened within walking distance of the ship - should be able to pick up something interesting there at a reasonable price.

Glenmorangie has the highest stills in Scotland so only the purest spirits reach the top - but, as you rightly say, seen one distillery seen them all.

LMM

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    You're having a laugh

LMM
    Last edited by Lawnmowerman, Tain; 12th May 2022, 10:30 PM. Reason: Grammar

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Hi TD
    The Black Cab tours of Belfast are brilliant but FO wants £269 per person.
    Only 3 years ago I did it booking online for £42.
    Did you know most of the cab drivers who do the tours of the Troubles are ex IRA men,but there is no politics just sometimes a dark humor.

Back in the day I had to go to meetings in Belfast sometimes every 2 weeks,it’s a great city to walk around.
    Like most stops these days it’s a walk around and a beer or coffee,,,the days of slogging around on tours have long gone.

JC
    Last year when there we hit the St George's Market which we had not done before. uses up 1/2 hour.

Our stop at the spoons was not that successful as one of the guest ales from from a local(to us) brewery.

Need to have a think about our June visit.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Hi Annie
    I certainly wouldn’t pay £100 for what is really 3 small tasters at the end of the tour.

Its different if the distillery is just off the ship like the Tobermory Distillery,,,just across the road from that great Fish & Chip caravan on the queue.
    JC
    Hi JC

I agree - I know those Tobermory locations well

Annie

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied

Hi JC

The link gives detail on how a solo could do the distillery trip by taxi for less than £100.

Annie
    Hi Annie

JC

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    Local tour companies in Belfast are very reasonable.
    the giants trips are around £30

its finding one with the max distillery time.

back in the day first trip to Belfast we used minicoach I think they are still about and offer a custom service for small groups.
    their standard tour is still cheap at under £20pp
    Hi TD
    The Black Cab tours of Belfast are brilliant but FO wants £269 per person.
    Only 3 years ago I did it booking online for £42.
    Did you know most of the cab drivers who do the tours of the Troubles are ex IRA men,but there is no politics just sometimes a dark humor.

Back in the day I had to go to meetings in Belfast sometimes every 2 weeks,it’s a great city to walk around.
    Like most stops these days it’s a walk around and a beer or coffee,,,the days of slogging around on tours have long gone.

JC

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Local tour companies in Belfast are very reasonable.
    the giants trips are around £30

its finding one with the max distillery time.

back in the day first trip to Belfast we used minicoach I think they are still about and offer a custom service for small groups.
    their standard tour is still cheap at under £20pp

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Hi Annie
    Thanks for that.
    JC
    Hi JC

The link gives detail on how a solo could do the distillery trip by taxi for less than £100.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi Annie
    Thanks for that.
    JC

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Hi LMM
    Iwas thinking of doing that via distillery sightseeing……
    Talisker in Skye.
    Highland Park in Kirkwall,then Glenmorangie in Tain.
    Then I looked at Fred’s trip to Glenmorangie at £119,,, looked on Google it’s £15 a ticket for the brewery visit…Is it walkable from Invergorden?
    Oh.and they do Giants Causway and Bushmills distillery from Belfast only £185.

JC
    Partially walkable

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Invergo...1PZ-UK#r/Train

Annie

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Self-medicate JC

LMM
    Hi LMM
    Iwas thinking of doing that via distillery sightseeing……
    Talisker in Skye.
    Highland Park in Kirkwall,then Glenmorangie in Tain.
    Then I looked at Fred’s trip to Glenmorangie at £119,,, looked on Google it’s £15 a ticket for the brewery visit…Is it walkable from Invergorden?
    Oh.and they do Giants Causway and Bushmills distillery from Belfast only £185.

JC
    Last edited by jc, liverpool; 11th May 2022, 09:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied

Any tips folks……
    JC
    Self-medicate JC

LMM

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi all
    Day 10 of self-quarantine and finally got a Negative although still feeling ropey.
    Rang doctors who said cough could linger a long while,,,but negative is good.

So…I booked the Scottish Isles cruise with Fred today,,,,,8 days in June from Liverpool.
    Wasnt going overboard on cabin for a quick break so booked a obstructed view OV on Prom Deck,,£500 cheaper than unobstructed and not interested in a Terrace Balcony.
    Passed on the AI upgrade at £24.99 each as it only covers house brands not including Guinness or John Smiths,,,you could get branded drinks at 50% off….ie £2.15 for a JS with the AI.

Any tips folks……
    JC

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X