• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which port.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sandraggg, Newcastle
    started a topic Which port.....

Which port.....

... surprised you most?

Many cruisers will have a favourite port - or one they never want to return to. But which port has most surprised you?

Maybe you were really looking forward to your visit, only to find the port was a massive let down.

Or maybe you started out with low expectations, but ended up pleasantly surprised?

I'm not sure what mine is - I'm thinking about it!

(Sorry if this has been discussed before. I don't remember seeing it as a topic since I joined the forum. )

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    For a hassle free port experience go to Japan.

The locals are polite, charming and very helpful.

Tipping is offensive to them.

Annie
    I agree 100%. We had many good interactions with locals in Japan, starting with a couple who spoke no English but saw us looking at a map in Tokyo. We showed them the name of our hotel and they walked us right to the door. In Kyoto some students met us at the entrance to a shrine and offered to guide us "No cost, no tip". They gave us a guided tour with lots of information about rituals and customs, just to speak English. At the end they thanked us and went on their way. The helpful locals made Japan a very easy country to explore independently, although people we met on the cruise thought we were crazy to go it alone. I made sure to have all our planned destinations printed in Japanese, courtesy of TripAdvisor, and we only got lost once. but that is another story.

Sheila

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    For a hassle free port experience go to Japan.

The locals are polite, charming and very helpful.

Tipping is offensive to them.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied

I confess to not experiencing any hassle whilst wandering around the souks/bazaars on my own in any Egyptian location. My trips were a decade apart - yes Luxor had expanded JMO horrendously during that period but no issues.

Yes these cities are not clinically clean but neither is any jungle.

Annie

PS For Sandra, I have only visited Livorno once but I liked it and would happily return. Naples is another Italian port which is like Marmite but I love it too.
    Many people on our trip complained about being hassled at the Pyramids, but my motto is to say no firmly and keep walking. It usually works. The only problem we had was when I took a photo of a policeman on a camel. I knew that the costumed camel drivers expected money for photos, but was surprised when a snap of a passing policeman elicited a request for cash. I didn't give him any and wasn't arrested. I think he was just trying it on.
    Sheila

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

I have this vision of Annie out-begging and out-bartering the natives. I envision her wearing the Gorbals chic of a wean (child) in the fifties.

Anyone else??'

LMM
    Moi??

I was in the Nile Valley when terrorists attacked tourists in Egypt in 1997. We were flown home in the evening.

I returned to the office and someone quipped - 'they missed'. There was a retort - they wouldn't even try.

Oddly enough I have not returned to Egypt

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    Our worst port was in Tunisia on our first cruise in 2002, sorry I cannot remember the name. It was in the middle of nowhere, filthy and 40degrees at 10am. We were off the ship for 45mins and we only stayed that long as my friend wanted to barter for dishes in the one and only shop. Mind you I still have those 3 dishes.

now what can I say about Naples? It’s a hellhole. We’ve been there three times, first time walked round the city and found it dirty and oppressive. Second time we took the HOHO bus, one route was along the coast which was lovely but the other route we just spent it in a car exhaust fulled traffic jam, third time we just took the boat over to Sorrento.

St Petersburg exceeded my expectations. Mind you my expectations were high but it lived up to them and more.
    Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 17th January 2021, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied

I confess to not experiencing any hassle whilst wandering around the souks/bazaars on my own in any Egyptian location. My trips were a decade apart - yes Luxor had expanded JMO horrendously during that period but no issues.

Annie

PS For Sandra, I have only visited Livorno once but I liked it and would happily return. Naples is another Italian port which is like Marmite but I love it too.
    I have this vision of Annie out-begging and out-bartering the natives. I envision her wearing the Gorbals chic of a wean (child) in the fifties.

Anyone else??

LMM

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    Which port....

Taylor's of course..I have a 25 year old bottle that we'll savour at some point.

Garf
    Don't hesitate Garf. If it matches your expectations - get another........

LMM

Leave a comment:

• sandraggg, Newcastle
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    Which port....

Taylor's of course..I have a 25 year old bottle that we'll savour at some point.

Garf
    So I guess Porto would be the port for you

Leave a comment:

• sandraggg, Newcastle
    replied

We think alike!

I too loved Naples, and liked the way it wasn't sanitised.

Livorno too. Sometimes we go on to Pisa, but we have also stayed in Livorno several times. It has some lovely buildings if you take time to discover them. We also enjoyed taking the short funicular ride up to the Sanctuary of Montenero.

Leave a comment:

• Yogini, Waterlooville
    replied
    My experience of Cairo was from a river cruise. We arrive at night, so couldn't see anything. The next morning we got up and walked across a quadrangle to the hotel dining room. I could see the top of the Great Pyramid over the roofline, and was very excited. Our first excursion began at the Pyramids, and I was amazed by the sight of them. Of course, there was a KFC across the road, but I just looked towards the pyramids instead. We were taken to a viewpoint above the city, and could see the haze of pollution from there. I still think that it was one of the most interesting trips of my life.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
    I also visited Egypt ages ago (25 years) but on a land based holiday. I enjoyed visiting Cairo and spent a happy hour in a T-Shirt emporium bartering for a number of T-shirts to take home. The Cairo museum was fascinating and our guide also took us to a mosque.

However, during our visits to the Valleys of the Kings & Queens and the pyramids, we were constantly pestered to buy the local tat. On one occasion, my ex went for a walk by the river whilst we were staying in Luxor and was verbally abused by a boatman for not accepting a boat ride.

On our cruise, I went ashore at Port Said but couldn't wait to get back onboard the ship. The pressure to buy something was intense, so much so that I bought a T-shirt just to escape. However, when I returned to the ship and looked at my purchase, the seller had fobbed me off with a much smaller size than the one I paid for. Needless to say, there was no way I was going ashore to confront him.

Egypt is definitely not on my list of places to visit again, either by ship or by air/land.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Garfield, Waterlooville
    replied
    Which port....

Garf

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    I also visited Egypt ages ago (25 years) but on a land based holiday. I enjoyed visiting Cairo and spent a happy hour in a T-Shirt emporium bartering for a number of T-shirts to take home. The Cairo museum was fascinating and our guide also took us to a mosque.

However, during our visits to the Valleys of the Kings & Queens and the pyramids, we were constantly pestered to buy the local tat. On one occasion, my ex went for a walk by the river whilst we were staying in Luxor and was verbally abused by a boatman for not accepting a boat ride.

On our cruise, I went ashore at Port Said but couldn't wait to get back onboard the ship. The pressure to buy something was intense, so much so that I bought a T-shirt just to escape. However, when I returned to the ship and looked at my purchase, the seller had fobbed me off with a much smaller size than the one I paid for. Needless to say, there was no way I was going ashore to confront him.

Egypt is definitely not on my list of places to visit again, either by ship or by air/land.

Leave a comment:

• sandraggg, Newcastle
    replied
    I agree with you, Annie, that some places are best not visited by cruise ship, but by some other means.

I think the nicest ports are those that have something for everyone, without having to venture miles from the ship (unless you want to). The availability of good, reliable onward travel links is a welcome bonus.

One place we've visited just once, but loved, was Elba. Since we visited, we haven't seen it on any itineraries we've considered. It made a nice change from nearby Livorno.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X