• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pet Names...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet Names...

No not dogs but people...Do you have or are you called a "Nickname" by a loved one or friend ? I realised today that the name that May's(my wife) terms off affection when she addresses me have changed over 20 years. She is currently calling me "BINMAN". This is down to the fact that during the virus restriction I have abandoned my previous very demanding and high standards of sartorial elegance. How time change....twenty years ago she used to call me Mr WONDERFUL!!! Stan.

My late husband called me ‘Duchess’ I don’t know why? At school I was always known as ‘Legs’. I spent most of my time competing in athletics and always wore shorts.

Comment

Sorry Stan...if there was it would remain private.

Garf..

Comment

at school I was called "plague" ( some cruel kids around ) and my husbands nickname starts with a t and ends with a t four letters....................... all said affectionately of course, I think if I called him darling or sweetheart he would think I had been hit over the head with something very heavy................

Comment

Growing up my family always called me Helen Mary so anyone calling me just Helen made me feel like they were using a nickname! 😆. At work my friend Liz calls me Bobs and I call her Lilibet.

Take me care and stay well. Helen

Comment

Mine is 'Flow' - a shortened version of the word Flower, which as you will most certainly
            know is a Yorkshire endearment!

Comment

We have a customer who calls EVERYONE - Dan. Yeah, I don't know either! At least he never forgets anyone's name - even if he is wrong. We also have a member of staff who greets everyone with the phrase 'Morning' regardless of time of day - weird.

We have MANY customers and it is embarrassing when a first name eludes you - even though they have been a customer for years. So, the most common name for customers is - Hello there!!!

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
                We have a customer who calls EVERYONE - Dan. Yeah, I don't know either! At least he never forgets anyone's name - even if he is wrong. We also have a member of staff who greets everyone with the phrase 'Morning' regardless of time of day - weird.

We have MANY customers and it is embarrassing when a first name eludes you - even though they have been a customer for years. So, the most common name for customers is - Hello there!!!

LMM
                Hi LMM....I used to call people(well men) Dave. for quite a while when memory challenged , I chose Dave because it is quite a manly name .It is probably not very PC now but calling a lady Babe served me quite well for many years .

Comment

I call EVERYBODY sweetheart or darling, even the doctor, ( well back in the day when you could see a doctor! ) All the crew on ship answer to sweetheart or darling too, I love it when they say it too with their heavily accented tones x

Comment

My mother's family were fond of nicknames.

My Aunt Muriel was known to her sisters as Wob, which was a contraction of Wor Bill , the Northumberland expression. My mother couldn't remember how Muriel became known as Bill. Mum's sisters called her Babe because she was the youngest in the family. My sister and I were always S and K to them, K became Kay and stuck until the end of her life, but thankfully S was dropped long ago.

Sheila

Comment

My husband calls me Mousey ratkins.. no idea why 🙂

Comment

Nicknames for colleagues at work......

One is Gruff - short for the Gruffalo (he works the doors at night clubs as well)........

another.....

Happy Feet - he is short and has small feet.............

and another....

Kato........very cruel as he was observed to be able to be blind-folded with dental floss - ouch........

and another.....

Skippy............in a fit of temper he threw a damaged part into a skip - then skulked back, climbed in and retrieved it to get a credit for the (not cheap) part.......and he hates it.....

and another....

The Rat.......always gets the dirty jobs - cleaning out drains etc........

and another.......

Paper John.......deals in all the consumables for catering.....napkins, kitchen rolls, toilet rolls etc................

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

My wife's pet name within her own family was Flea, because she was constantly on the move and was quick. My nickname at school was Gibbo - my surname easily lends itself to that. However, a bright spark of a teacher decided that a bit of Shakespeare would do us good and introduced us to The Merchant of Venice in which there is a character called Lancelot Gobbo. So Gibbo became Gobbo. One of the lads in my class squared up to an unpopular woodwork teacher and from then on was known as Pete the Hero.
                          Logic will get you from A to B.
                          Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X