• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are not likely to be out of the woods for sometime yet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are not likely to be out of the woods for sometime yet

From the Telegraph https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...aign=DM1316790

Probably behind a paywall but one paragraph from Frank Del Rio, boss of RCI :-

"While some cruises are on the calendar for March 2021, Del Rio admitted they were unlikely to happen.

“We hope that the pandemic will ease and we can work out our differences with the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) to start in mid to late March. It’s a long shot, but I want to keep that possibility as long as I see a possibility,” he said.

Much more likely is that it will take until July, August, and September (Q3) before “the world as we know it should be open to cruising.”

According to Del Rio, cruising should be “in a good gallop” by the fourth quarter of 2021 and “the world’s fleets should be all up and running and us coming out of it” by 2022."

He is presumably an optimist not a pessimist on this subject.

Frank Del Rio, boss of RCI :-
    He is the boss of NCL not RCI

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

He is the boss of NCL not RCI
      Yes, you are correct. The article starts with mention of RCI and then quotes Del Rio of NCL

Comment

links not behind a paywall that come up with a google search on the keywords

looks like a rehash of stuff from the 9th.

https://www.traveller.com.au/royal-c...sengers-h1sw87
        https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-...on-requirement
        https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/to...d-start-dates/

Comment

I suspect 2021 might be another staycation year and I have overseas land trips scheduled/planned.

Much will depend upon the state of the pandemic elsewhere in the world.

Annie

Comment

I will be considering a review of offerings while in Tier 3 over the next couple of weeks for something to do.

With a view to maybe booking if there are any stonking deals later in 2021/2022 won't be too bothered about itinerary as I suspect they will still be restrictions running through 2021

My cruise group are looking at a reunion on the next NCL new ship, target date was 2022 but we will see what develops,

Once the Oxford vaccine gets rolled out things should start to stabilise in the UK fairly quickly(few months) with case rates dropped enough to make travel possible again
            Even if these vaccines don't stop COVID-19 transmissions they do seem to very effective at stopping people getting very sick and dying which is what is currently crippling the NHS.

Comment

We’ll just sit tight and see how things work out. I will not be able to cruise, but Alan might when I’m dead. Possibly this time next year.

Comment

We certainly aren't out of the woods but I can see a glimmer of light, through the trees.

I had a ping through from Gov.UK reminding all that come 1st Jan, Norway will expect valid Covid test from visitors etc. How cruise lines cope will be interesting but I have every confidence, cruising in Europe and non European local itineraries, will happen sooner than anything to do with the US.

Comment

I think he's the CEO who said some months ago that he didn't expect 'normal' cruising to return until mid '22. That's the only cruising that interests me and while some of the protocols don't bother me - we rarely use buffets and enforced hand sanitizing is something they should be doing anyway - but mask wearing and ship shorex only are red lines as far as myself and Mrs M are concerned. I don't expect to see those go for a while yet.
                  Logic will get you from A to B.
                  Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                    We certainly aren't out of the woods but I can see a glimmer of light, through the trees.

I had a ping through from Gov.UK reminding all that come 1st Jan, Norway will expect valid Covid test from visitors etc. How cruise lines cope will be interesting but I have every confidence, cruising in Europe and non European local itineraries, will happen sooner than anything to do with the US.
                    I can’t see the US being safe to visit for some considerable time. Maybe Biden will be able to bring some sense to the situation, but while the wearing of masks is seen by many as an attack on personal liberty, and vaccinations as a plot of some sort I would not consider going there. I hope our border remains closed to non essential travel.
                    Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post

I can’t see the US being safe to visit for some considerable time. Maybe Biden will be able to bring some sense to the situation, but while the wearing of masks is seen by many as an attack on personal liberty, and vaccinations as a plot of some sort I would not consider going there. I hope our border remains closed to non essential travel.
                      Sheila
                      Canada is not alone in thinking that way.

I have family members who make annual trips to the USA. They say they might return to USA in 2023!

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                        We’ll just sit tight and see how things work out. I will not be able to cruise, but Alan might when I’m dead. Possibly this time next year.
                        I can’t just ignore a comment like that. My heart goes out to you and your family 🥲 Take care

Comment

I’m looking at next November and December for a potential cruise holiday but who knows what’s around the corner. I don’t think any of us thought this would still be on our doorstep in December. I have a golf holiday in Cyprus in March and Spain in May. I’m not confident about either of them.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                            I’m looking at next November and December for a potential cruise holiday but who knows what’s around the corner. I don’t think any of us thought this would still be on our doorstep in December. I have a golf holiday in Cyprus in March and Spain in May. I’m not confident about either of them.
                            Hi Mike
                            I’m so fed up I have just booked a cruise for next August.
                            Celebrity Reflection to the Baltic (again) from Amsterdam.

Got an e mail from Celebrity today with discounts for CC members,I got £200.

Coupled with the Always Included and a Hump balcony at a price of cabin one grade less.......deposit paid with FCC,,,so nothing lost.

Nothing to pay now until June 21,,,,will have an idea if it’s a goer by then.

If this dreadful virus is still with us next August we are all in the doodoo not just cruise lines.

JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                              We are due to go back to Belek (Turkey) for golf in May, postponed from this year, if it goes ahead great, if not try again

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X