• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What date do you think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lucy, sutton
    started a topic What date do you think?

What date do you think?

In view of FCO guidelines issued last week about advice on no cruise travel, how much longer do you think this will last, bearing in mind soon we will be going into the winter months, when a second spike is likely of the Coronavirus cases. Bearing in mind on a cruise you are not only coming into contact with many hundreds of households and even if you are tested before you get on, you are also getting off at each port and potentially picking up something there.

I know it is looking on the pessimistic side, but how can cruise ships hope to resume travel any time soon, at least till next summer?

We have also had several cruise companies go under and how much longer can the rest hang on before they go under as well? Not many companies can survive a year without trading, but having to pay costs. All the cruise ships are in dock, but they will need to be paying for the dock space, the captain and a limited crew to keep the ship's machinery running and limited hospitality to feed the limited crew.

When do you think the cruise industry will be allowed to restart?

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    A couple of posts back(a month ago) in this thread I mentioned Saudi would be entering the cruise market in the Red Sea

They started last week(27 Aug)
    https://saudigazette.com.sa/article/597159

and finished soon after.(29 Aug)
    https://saudigazette.com.sa/article/597277

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Another one starting this time in the Med tomorrow.

Variety cruises Galileo

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    This should help with getting cruises going again.

Greece is opening ports to cruise ships from Aug 1st

https://greekcitytimes.com/2020/07/2...from-august-1/

Also buried in the news is Saudi are doing cruises in the red sea

This will be for locals promoting stay at home tourism "Break free" campaign

https://www.visitsaudi.com/en/cruise

CLIA supports the EU cruise guidelines(they were consulted) and may help with developing protocols for other regions(reports NZ/AU press)

on the other side

NCL push out cancellations to end Oct, getting closer to nothing in/from the US this year

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi all
    Part 3

The wearing of mask walking the ship inside is no problem at all- as soon as you take a seat it gets off.

Ones temprature is taken every day. I heard from a crew member they did that on the first voyage when you entered the restaurant - but that did no work out. So they set the Disco apart for that purpose. It is a very swift and quick procedere, you just stand in front of - well it is a tablet computer really your head gets into a frame and thats it. Oh by the way my temprature was 36,4 so I passed with flying colors. LOL.It took me but three minutes. Again the ships sails not even at half capacity.

QR code and menus

Let me clarify how this works, since some of you seem to have the impression that you can order by smartphone... you can‘t.

What you do is you scan the code with your camera. A link appears on the screenwhich can be used to open a menu or drink list. So all you touch is your own phone.

The order is not placed online but with a waiter as always.
    JC

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi all
    Part 2

There are entertainers, singers and so such on board. It really is like any other voyage, the only difference is that you have to make a reservation for lectures or the theater and the like.

Works also pretty well.

The atmosphere is a relaxed and safe one. I so enjoy this little „ blue voyage“, well weather like it is more a little „ grey voyage!

I was asked about the Check in- well that was the most unconfortable part- but to be expected. The line went way out of the terminal and in parts without any covering whatsoever. The weather god was in a good mood , so the sun was not shining to harsh and allthough it was pretty overcast it did not rain. Otherwise, we would all have entered the ship soaked wet. LOL.

I must say those blue voyages might not be for everyones taste. If you seek constant party and dancing- it is not for you. For me looking for a little time out and a little change of sceanery doing what I so love- it is perfect. Enjoying a big, almost new ship with only 1000 passengers instead of 3000 and only sea days. Perfect.

As mentioned they dont allow you booking back to backs I would have done that. Well thats reasonable, they wont get rid of you after your time is up- so they do notend up with infected people.
    JC

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi all
    From a poster now on board Mein Schiff,,,,,posted elsewhere I hope he won’t mind...

The biggest issue might be check in - due to social distancing and the numbers of people that can enter the Cruise Terminal. I took 1,5 hours to get on board. Nothing to worry about - I expeceted something like this- so it was okay.

Before one is allowed to enter the building ones tempratrue is taken, that is a very quick an efficent process. The moment you enter the Terminal all goes very swift - they dont hand out the cruise cards- that is waiting in a sealed envelope at your cabin.

Everything is a bit different, but if you love cruising as I do- it is really no big deal.

No menues, neither in any lounge or bar or in any dinning room. You have to scan everything (QR Code) with your mobil. I wonder how it works for people with no mobiles. So you can read the menue on your device and order as usual.

No self serving buffets. No self serving coffee, tea ... etc. All has turned to table side service. Works pretty well.

Hand sanitizers everywhere. Before entering the MDR one is lead to a handwashing station - after that the sanatizer.

JC

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    Mein Schiff 2 left Hamburg for its first cruise yesterday on its way to Norway

https://www.myshiptracking.com/?mmsi=248956000

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...w656EOgrLLAmJk
    Wow, that is a very large port.

That really made me want to be on board again.

LMM

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Hi all
    I priced up a cruise this morning on Celebrity Sihouette to the Baltic’s next July.
    I did this cruise a couple of years age for under £4K.
    Todays price for Deck 7 hump balcony with DP and Grats paid is £7200.

At those prices I don’t care if cruises never start again,,,restrictions or not I won’t be cruising.
    There is no value in those prices.
    Cabins that show booked are not really booked,,Celebrity are keeping cabins back due to restrictions on passenger numbers,,every now and then they release some.

ps Same dates,Baltic on P&O Ventura,same standard cabin is £6908 without DP.

They are aving a larf!,,
    JC
    Last edited by jc, liverpool; 29th July 2020, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

I can't see that this is 2m distancing in a very enclosed space??

I wonder what the passengers had to do before boarding - self isolate for 14 days? Even with limited passengers there will still be hundreds in an inside and enclosed space. Not yet ready for this, myself.

I wonder if Norway are happy with a load of cruise passengers landing in each port?
    Hi Lucy
    Its a 3 night cruise with sail by Norway,,,it’s not stopping at any ports.

Edit,,,it may have docked in Oslo for 3 hrs but do not know if any passengers where let ashore.
    JC
    Last edited by jc, liverpool; 29th July 2020, 03:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news...ravel-august-1

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied
    A few years back they did not include Le Havre but adding it means they can put Paris on the itinerary, many Americans jump ship and fly home from Paris.
    These marketing folk are clever!

LMM

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    A few years back they did not include Le Havre but adding it means they can put Paris on the itinerary, many Americans jump ship and fly home from Paris.

Leave a comment:

• Lawnmowerman, Tain
    replied
    Norway is open for cruise business

https://norwaytoday.info/travel/unce...-in-stavanger/

Princess are having a sale on next years round Britain cruises.

Probably still a bit pricey, these used to drop under £500 for 12 nights.

Just being nosy I had a look.

When is Round Britain not what it sounds? When it includes Le Havre (of course Ireland is included but I didn't expect Le Havre).

LMM

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Norway is open for cruise business

https://norwaytoday.info/travel/unce...-in-stavanger/

Princess are having a sale on next years round Britain cruises.

Probably still a bit pricey, these used to drop under £500 for 12 nights.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X