• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What date do you think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What date do you think?

In view of FCO guidelines issued last week about advice on no cruise travel, how much longer do you think this will last, bearing in mind soon we will be going into the winter months, when a second spike is likely of the Coronavirus cases. Bearing in mind on a cruise you are not only coming into contact with many hundreds of households and even if you are tested before you get on, you are also getting off at each port and potentially picking up something there.

I know it is looking on the pessimistic side, but how can cruise ships hope to resume travel any time soon, at least till next summer?

We have also had several cruise companies go under and how much longer can the rest hang on before they go under as well? Not many companies can survive a year without trading, but having to pay costs. All the cruise ships are in dock, but they will need to be paying for the dock space, the captain and a limited crew to keep the ship's machinery running and limited hospitality to feed the limited crew.

When do you think the cruise industry will be allowed to restart?

Hi Lucy. This is only my opinion, but I suspect that Round Britain/Ireland cruises could begin again maybe in November. The problem with that of course is who would want to cruise around our shores in the late autumn/winter?
    I also think that only short cruises will be on offer to begin with and only to ports of call that are happy to receive a cruise a ship of course.

So many of us would not fancy a fly cruise due to the risks and/or discomfort of sitting on a plane wearing a mask for any length of time (I wouldn't even consider it). On that basis, even Med cruises could be difficult to plan given the restrictions in many ports.

My first cruise is booked for next July and it's a Round Britain/Ireland itinerary. I am not looking to any further afield between now and then.
    Jill

Comment

Cruise industry has already started, just not from the UK

the big boys raised enough to go for a year

ships are going into cold layup(much cheaper) but is sign they are expecting at least a year for some capacity.

The two that have gone were just operating ships very little they can do to raise money with no assets.

Most ships are not in docks they are at anchor only coming into dock for servicing

There has been a winter market for short cruises to Xmas markets & river so the is a possibility some ships could do those if progress is made at those destinations or just cruise to nowhere.

2 Sept is the one to watch does Hurtigruten get to do it's 21n British isles cruise.

70332.png

The UK surveillance of respiratory illness/covid has been pretty steady for the last few weeks, care homes(145/111) are still too high and the other 2 main outbreak places are education(30/11) and workplaces(30/24).

so far the protests, beaches and opening up of services is not translating into significantly higher numbers, that might be it is mainly those that get mild/no symptoms so there could be a delay before it reaches the more vulnerable through contacts.

if test and trace can sort themselves out and get to the contacts quicker a lot of areas will be very low risk as long as you continue to maintain some social distancing and precautions when out and about.

Comment

I should be happy to join a small ship and remain on board. It is the ship that is the attraction for me not the ports.

Comment

The one thing that is attracting people to cruise again is how it was before the lockdown and restrictions and how enjoyable it was. We are given some idea of how cruising may be when they introduce the required onboard restrictions but how will it actually be we can only imagine until we actually experience it. Are you prepared to book a cruise on this basis and uncertainty. What onboard areas do you think they will have problems controlling. Examples:-

Safety Drill
          Freedom dining
          dancing Venues
          Corridors
          Lifts
          Tendering (if applicable)
          Swimming pools
          Sail away party
          Checking passengers on and off the ship when in a port (how long will it take)

And the list go's on and on

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
            The one thing that is attracting people to cruise again is how it was before the lockdown and restrictions and how enjoyable it was. We are given some idea of how cruising may be when they introduce the required onboard restrictions but how will it actually be we can only imagine until we actually experience it. Are you prepared to book a cruise on this basis and uncertainty. What onboard areas do you think they will have problems controlling. Examples:-

Safety Drill
            Freedom dining
            dancing Venues
            Corridors
            Lifts
            Swimming pools
            Sail away party

That's the big issue for me. If the pleasure of being on board is watered down with too many restrictions, it's just not worth it as far as I'm concerned. I appreciate the need for passenger safety, but if this means strict regimentation, then no thanks.

Comment

I had been pretty confident that our Japan cruise in Sept 2021 would go ahead, but I'm less sure now having read that the postponed Olympics are again under threat. Seems the Japanese have no appetite for allowing foreigners into their country, and who can blame them?

Comment

Safety Drill protocols can be put in place
                Freedom dining not an issue
                dancing Venues we don't dance
                Corridors am prepared to mask up
                Lifts main area of concern as we have to use them
                Tendering (if applicable) don't tender
                Swimming pools can't use them
                Sail away party attend sailaway parties on balconies
                Checking passengers on and off the ship when in a port (how long will it take) am happy to stay on the ship if it avoids lengthy queues.

The phrase 'How long is a piece of string' comes to mind when predicting when cruising will recommence by the majors but I do know, and I realise we're in the minority on this board, just being on Victoria will suffice for us. We can overcome the issues presented by LRR and judging by many sold out cabin catagories on Cunard, we're not the only ones.

Bring it on when it's deemed safe enough to do so.

Comment

Safety Drill
                  Freedom dining
                  dancing Venues
                  Corridors
                  Lifts
                  Swimming pools
                  Sail away party

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/artic...muster-process

Comment

The Round Britain cruises - would they be restricted to British nationals? Or do we import potential sources of Covid?

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
                      The Round Britain cruises - would they be restricted to British nationals? Or do we import potential sources of Covid?

LMM
                      Not round Britain but Scottish cruises possibly?? Definitely not cheap

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...limited-basis/

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

The phrase 'How long is a piece of string' comes to mind when predicting when cruising will recommence by the majors but I do know, and I realise we're in the minority on this board, just being on Victoria will suffice for us. We can overcome the issues presented by LRR and judging by many sold out cabin catagories on Cunard, we're not the only ones.

Bring it on when it's deemed safe enough to do so.
                        Not looking at the moment but those restrictions won't put me off. Large collection of face coverings for corridors and any crowded areas, and can pretty much live with the rest, stay away from the crowds and queues on every cruise we have been on so won't be any different.. Swimming with a mask might be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Not round Britain but Scottish cruises possibly?? Definitely not cheap

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...limited-basis/

Annie
                          Fabulous area to cruise - West is Best!

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

I made an impulse booking last weekend, but am aware that it may not happen. It is 4 nights on Queen Victoria, a round trip to Hamburg out of Southampton in early January.
                            2018-
                            Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                            NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                            Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                            Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                            Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
                              I made an impulse booking last weekend, but am aware that it may not happen. It is 4 nights on Queen Victoria, a round trip to Hamburg out of Southampton in early January.
                              Good for you. Victoria is a nice ship and Hamburg is a great port of call because there is so much to see and do. It will be very cold though.
                              Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X