• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Southampton docks landmark to be demolished

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southampton docks landmark to be demolished

Anyone who has sailed on a cruise ship that left from Southampton's Western Docks can hardly have failed to see the vast Solent Flour Mills nearby. Demolition is set to begin very soon, possibly tomorrow (July 15). I wonder if the site will be used for a fifth cruise terminal?

WORK to demolish a landmark building in Southampton could begin as early as tomorrow, it has been claimed by a senior civic figure.

Sad about that.

Approaching the flour mills always felt like the holiday was about to start!

Comment

If it's anything like around my way, they will just build flats on it .................................................C arol

Comment

Southampton used to have a wonderful Art Deco Hotel called the 'Polygon" built in 1930, where Ocean Liner passengers used to stay. It was demolished in the 1999 to build flats.

Even more tragic is the Original 'Art Deco' 'Ocean Terminal', was demolished and replaced with a car park and the QE2 terminal.

https://malcolmoliver.files.wordpres...0terminal9.jpg

The new Ocean Terminal has the architectural merits of a B&Q's!
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
          If it's anything like around my way, they will just build flats on it .................................................C arol
          We in Southampton get a bonus: as well as flats there is student accommodation.

Comment

I wrote a piece for my cruise blog about some of Southampton's lost buildings.

There's a link below.

https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/southamptons-lost-architecture

Some forum members dont like me promoting my blog here, so if offended, sorry - just dont click on it.

(I can't be bother to cut and paste the material here)
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
              I wrote a piece for my cruise blog about some of Southampton's lost buildings.

There's a link below.

https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/southamptons-lost-architecture

Some forum members dont like me promoting my blog here, so if offended, sorry - just dont click on it.

(I can't be bother to cut and paste the material here)
              The Ocean Terminal looks wonderful!

Your post inspired me to google and find out more about the terminal. This link has some more pics and interesting information on the building. (Sorry - you've probably seen it before, but others may be interested! )
              All the best sea stories involve a mysterious ship which appears from the gloom of night on a dead calm sea, ghostly and quiet. Hails to the ship go unanswered, and as it draws nearer, it becomes clear that it's a sailing vessel, looking new, even though ships like this last sailed the oceans hundreds…

Comment

Ocean Terminal looks beautiful, I love seeing how well dressed the passengers were, very evocative of the era. I like the old terminal at Cherbourg, which still has the feel of a bygone time...Carol

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X