• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nostalgic cruising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lucy, sutton
    started a topic Nostalgic cruising

Nostalgic cruising

As nobody is cruising at the moment due to this Covid19 situation, I thought it would be nice for a bit of nostalgia back to when we could cruise.

What has been your favourite cruise ship, cruise destination, cruise memory and why?

I loved Sark, Scilly Isles, Orkneys, Shetland, Outer Hebrides and Faroes cruises. We have been many places in the world but the UK has some wonderful places. I loved the islands we have visited as they were so peaceful, beautiful and full of wildlife and have wide open expanses of land. When we went to Sark and there were no cars and you could just stand there and hear the prolonged silence, that is so powerful.

• Victoria, Aberystwyth
    replied
    Aurora remains my favourite too. I live in the wilds but my favourite cruise destinations have mostly been cities. I’m not into beaches. So I’d say Rome, Venice, St P and Athens over the Caribbean any day.

Leave a comment:

• Bigsis, Waterlooville
    replied
    Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

Awww and I thought you were going to say it was winning the quiz on the Sapphire with me lol .................................................. ......Carol
    Oh yes, I'd forgotten all about that! We were certainly on the ball that evening weren't we? Brilliant evening 😃

Leave a comment:

• cornish girl, falmouth
    replied
    Aurora, is my favourite ship beats the others hands down, I adored her tiered decks, also because she was the ship I achieved my long held dream to cruise the world , I loved it so much I booked her again and did another world cruise , best place, Falkland islands , and NZ and the Milford Sounds !!

Leave a comment:

• philhar, wallasey
    replied
    Hi Lucy lovely idea.
    Favourite ship would have to be Legend of the Seas just because it was a lovely cruise with my late parents us and my 2 oldest children who were blown away by their first experience of an atrium with a glass lift.
    The lift had a carpet with the day of the week on it.Every night my Dad would crack the same joke with my kids- "are you going to get up early to change the carpet?".They looked genuinely worried!
    Favourite destination I've mentioned it before Ischia and specifically Negombo thermal park.20 odd different pools ,different temperatures and a fabulous beach plus beautiful gardens.
    Favourite moment would probably be relaxing on Sandy Toes in the Bahamas last year an idyllic private island.
    Ischia
    DSCF0319.JPG
    sandy toes.jpg
    Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 1st April 2020, 10:54 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigsis, Waterlooville View Post
    Queen Mary 2 is also my favourite ship , she is just so wonderful to sail on. It's going to be a while beforehand get back on board but she is worth the wait.

One of my favourite cruise memories is from May 2019 on our last evening on Sapphire Princess with our grandkids. We went out to the room deck on the last evening and the sea was like 'liquid metal' against a beautiful sunset. The kids minds were blown!

FB_IMG_1585652096983.jpg
    Awww and I thought you were going to say it was winning the quiz on the Sapphire with me lol .................................................. ......Carol

Leave a comment:

• cymrucruiser
    replied
    Destination; Norway. It was supposed to tick a box and yet we both fell in love with it straight away. Was very much looking forward to going back this summer until as this happened. Maybe next year.

Ship; this is hard! As a couple Queen Victoria
    as a family Independence of the Seas

favourite cruise; last September on Indy myself, hubby. 2 x daughters. Son in law and granddaughter.
    It wasn’t perfect from a cruise line point of view but it was a blessing to cruise with our granddaughter, spend quality time as a family and meet Irish friends we will always keep in touch with. I’ve been thinking of that cruise a lot in the last week.

xx

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    It is hard to pick a favourite ship, but my favourite cruises have been in Asia. One cruise on Celebrity Century took us to the Philippines and Vietnam and included Boracay where we took a private excursion called Island Hopping in a small boat. The sky was blue, the islands spectacular and we had an unexpected beach BBQ with crab, shrimp and other seafood. Another cruise took us to Halong Bay, where the weather was not so sunny, but a Junk trip around the misty islands and a small boat ride rowed by a Vietnamese woman will never be forgotten. You may see a pattern here - I love islands and exotic destinations.

Sheila

Leave a comment:

• Calgray, Yorkshire
    replied
    All of our cruises.... never to be repeated again.
    But for sheer beauty our captain on the Black Watch had a little spare time and took the ship down this magical ffjord to see the Black Glacier at nearly midnight on our 'Land of the midnight sun' cruise. Still gives me goose bumps thinking about it. So still... so silent... just me and my dear husband or so it seemed on the deck!

Carol

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Seabourn Legend, small isles of the Mediterranean, a couple of months before we retired, in our view the Legend was the best of the “triplets” that made the Seabourn reputation, never to be repeated but happy days

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    I'm spoilt for choice. I love Boudicca because we have spent so much time on her going around Africa, S.America and to the Arctic. However, for short trips I do like QM2, especially as I have some great memories of forum cruises on her with lovely people form this forum..

As for places I have visited; again that is a difficult choice. However I think the islands in the Indian Ocean were memorable for all the right reasons. I loved the Seychelles, Mauritius and Madagascar. I also loved visiting St Helena in the Atlantic Ocean and the ports in South Africa. All were on the same cruise.

Leave a comment:

• Bigsis, Waterlooville
    replied
    Queen Mary 2 is also my favourite ship , she is just so wonderful to sail on. It's going to be a while beforehand get back on board but she is worth the wait.

One of my favourite cruise memories is from May 2019 on our last evening on Sapphire Princess with our grandkids. We went out to the room deck on the last evening and the sea was like 'liquid metal' against a beautiful sunset. The kids minds were blown!

FB_IMG_1585652096983.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
    Alaska is probably my favourite destination. We experienced silence such as you describe on Sark. We were flown by sea plane to a wilderness lodge and the plane then left. Once the engine noise had died away the silence was total. Our bbq lunch was visited by a black bear only a few feet from us. He was only interested in the remains of the salmon and completely ignored us. Ship wise, probably Royal Clipper which is a magnificent sight under full sail, closely followed by any of the Celebrity Solstice class ships and Queen Victoria.
    Snap

Alaska was our very first cruise nearly thirty years ago and we’ve been back a few times.
    We also di d a wilderness lodge, Knight Inlet, for a few days.
    Utter, total magic. My avatar is part of a photo taken when kayaking in the area. We saw, from a distance, a Mummy bear and two very small cubs.
    That experience will stay with me for ever. I became a fan of the writings of The Sierra Club founder, John Muir.

‘Bears are made of the same dust as we, and they breathe the same winds and drink of the same waters. A bear's days are warmed by the same sun, his dwellings are overdomed by the same blue sky, and his life turns and ebbs with heart pulsing like ours.'

Again, magic

Leave a comment:

• lucy, sutton
    replied
    Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
    Oh my, the ship is easy Queen Mary wins for me, hands down, love her, but destination, I guess would have to be the Caribbean. As an over all cruise holiday, there are places I've liked just as much, but we were only passing through them for a day or two.

Could of happily lived in Barbados .................................................. ...................Carol

What a lovely photograph. You could imagine yourself soaking up the sunshine on that beach.

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    Oh my, the ship is easy Queen Mary wins for me, hands down, love her, but destination, I guess would have to be the Caribbean. As an over all cruise holiday, there are places I've liked just as much, but we were only passing through them for a day or two.

Could of happily lived in Barbados .................................................. ...................Carol

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X