• Ahoy there! Why not join the UKโ€™s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your opinion on the coronavirus outbreak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your opinion on the coronavirus outbreak?

I must admit I'm having great difficulty with the coverage of the virus at the moment. Yes, it's looking increasingly likely that there will be a pandemic, but considering the nature of pandemics in the past, this one is relatively mild. It's not as if we are dealing with an outbreak of the Black Death, the Bubonic Plague or the Spanish Flu - yes, of course there have been fatalities, but these occur with every illness (and I say this as someone who falls into the bottom end of the elderly bracket and so has an increased risk). From everything that I've seen, most people will experience mild symptoms and may not even realise that they've been infected.
    Maybe I'm being too blasรฉ about the whole thing, but I just can't help wondering if treating it as if we're expecting an imminent visit from the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is doing irreparable harm and causing unnecessary panic.

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    New COVID 19 cases in China are slowing down. I think/hope in the next month or so this will be the trend for everywhere else. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป
    Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 10th March 2020, 06:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    This made me chuckle, and is so true ...............................................Car ol

Leave a comment:

• Delboy, Essex
    replied
    Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
    So anyone still going with the "just a bit of flu" or is it time to realise this could be a bit serious. New York state on lockdown, northern Italy shutdown yet most on here "the vunerable ones" still think we are over reacting.
    I and my family will in all likelihood be ok, any older relatives are already gone, but reading about the ages and health issues with many on here I would be worried.

My wife is in her mid 70โ€™s and our forthcoming cruise in June is to celebrate my 80th birthday last month and our 55th anniversary end of this month, so would probably be classed as vulnerable.

My wife is on daily regular medication but not for respiratory reasons, I have recently had an echocardiogram and yesterday received a copy of the results sent to my doctor, which although I could not understand the jargon, the word normal is mentioned several times and underneath the result the cardiac nurse had written this is reassuring. I have a further assessment follow up appointment with the doctor end of this month.

I am certainly not worried, what will be will be, if the ship is still allowed to sail and we are virus free then we will be on it, unless my doctor tells me different.

I still do not understand the need for stock piling, we are just carrying on with our normal shop each week, have always taken care of our own personal hygiene.
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 8th March 2020, 10:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    Regal princess being held pending test of crew members.

Should hit the news.
    I read about that hours ago but was awaiting the test results. The crew members had been transferred recently from the Grand Princess but more than 2 weeks ago.

As I understand this week's cruises on both the Regal and Royal ships are cancelled.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    I'm not worried on a personal front. However, I have friends who have underlying health issues in addition to being in the vulnerable age group. One is worried about coming to choir practice in case she picks up the virus from someone who may not know they have it. Another friend is keeping away from public places in general because she is also worried about contracting the disease.

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Regal princess being held pending test of crew members.

Should hit the news.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
    So anyone still going with the "just a bit of flu" or is it time to realise this could be a bit serious. New York state on lockdown, northern Italy shutdown yet most on here "the vunerable ones" still think we are over reacting.
    I and my family will in all likelihood be ok, any older relatives are already gone, but reading about the ages and health issues with many on here I would be worried.
    As I am not yet over 70, male with underlying health conditions, I am not unduly worried.

Interesting is it not though that the two countries with the highest number of deaths are countries where smoking is more prevalent than in the UK?? just saying.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Lockdown, shutdown, panic buying...
    Yes itโ€™s possibly serious for those who have underlying health issues and shutdown, lockdown will have its impact and no, Iโ€™m still not worried.

Leave a comment:

• andyn, Bucks
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Victoria, Aberystwyth
    replied
    My cruise.dot consultant phoned today asking if we had any plans to book a cruise. She sounded quite cagey when I asked her whether people were cancelling.

Leave a comment:

• Garfield, Waterlooville
    replied
    Hi Del
    It's not recommended nowadays..apparently the modern bogs can't process it.
    Regards
    Garf

Leave a comment:

• Delboy, Essex
    replied
    Re using newspaper in case of shortage of loo paper. Firstly I remember when that was the norm.

For many years we have not purchased any newspapers, recently a representative from the local newspaper convinced us to take out a subscription to have it delivered daily.
    As most of the content turned out to be about the main town14 miles away and very little local content, the print being so feint I can hardly read it, we were going to cancel.

However we have now put that on hold, well you never know.............๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post

There would be no stockpiling of toilet paper if there was only Izalโ€ฆ.. My father in law only ever bought that. It would have stopped the Australians buying it in bulk too!
    It triggered memories of it when I saw it on the great programme 'Back in time' the corner shop last Tuesday. I believe there was carbolic soap on the shelves too.

Carol
    OMG Izal toilet paper! We had that in our school. Iโ€™d rather use cut up newspaper than Izal toilet paper! ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Leave a comment:

• Calgray, Yorkshire
    replied
    Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

Carbolic soap now thatโ€™s a blast from the past Bill! My mammy used to say my hair had a great shine cos she used carbolic soap to wash it.
    There would be no stockpiling of toilet paper if there was only Izalโ€ฆ.. My father in law only ever bought that. It would have stopped the Australians buying it in bulk too!
    It triggered memories of it when I saw it on the great programme 'Back in time' the corner shop last Tuesday. I believe there was carbolic soap on the shelves too.

Carol

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X