• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your opinion on the coronavirus outbreak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    We use a company for home delivery of bulk grocery items and are due a delivery this week, just logged in to top it up and lots of things are unavailable, such as various tinned soups, flour and the obvious hand gels etc.

    Some people are clearly reacting to the issue and stock piling some basics.

    Comment


      #32
      If I remember correctly the world was going to end in 2000 with the Millennium Bug. People stockpiled but it didn't end.

      If I remember correctly the world would end if we voted leave in the Referendum. People stockpiled but it didn't end.

      If I remember correctly the world would end if we left the EU. People stockpiled but it didn't end.

      If I listen to the news the world will end with the current corona virus.

      Do we need to stockpile? There must be millions of cans of soup, baked beans and the like at the back of peoples cupboards So long as they are not rusty they will be OK

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
        We use a company for home delivery of bulk grocery items and are due a delivery this week, just logged in to top it up and lots of things are unavailable, such as various tinned soups, flour and the obvious hand gels etc.

        Some people are clearly reacting to the issue and stock piling some basics.
        We had a delivery of some cases of wine from our seller of choice last Friday.

        Does that count as ''basics''?


        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

          We had a delivery of some cases of wine from our seller of choice last Friday.

          Does that count as ''basics''?

          It does in our world

          Comment


            #35
            Part of the problem is many have adopted the just in time methodology for nearly everything.

            They shop weekly for loads of their consumption and can run out of things quite quickly.

            Any supply chain disruption has empty shelves in less than a week as very few retailers carry stock everything goes from delivery to shelves.

            We bulk buy when cheap anyway so normally have substitutes.
            Eg carbs we can swap in more rice(buy 10kg bags).
            As long as the electric stays we can stretch the meat in the freezer a few months.
            ....

            Comment


              #36
              Wearing gloves is okay for creating a barrier between your skin and any infectious surfaces but it's pointless if you don't keep your hands off of your own face, even with gloves on. At work especially, we all avoid touching our mouths, noses etc until we've washed our hands.
              Another culprit to be aware of...... if you lick your finger to separate letters, papers and magazines, don't do it !!
              BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

              Comment


                #37
                A new twist will be upon us very soon, maybe already in the south because I am starting to get symptoms.

                Allergy season is going to kick in.

                increased sneezing itchy eyes and runny noses.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                  A new twist will be upon us very soon, maybe already in the south because I am starting to get symptoms.

                  Allergy season is going to kick in.

                  increased sneezing itchy eyes and runny noses.
                  As I suffer with year round Rhinitus, which gives me allergy symptoms, my watch point will be the cough.
                  Jill

                  Comment


                    #39
                    It's obvious it's highly contagious, and if everyone who caught it died, then I would be terrified, but the majority do recover. I wonder what makes some people immune to it? .....................................Carol

                    Comment


                      #40


                      Watched Professor Chris Whitty, CMO for England, on Sky this morning.

                      What a sensible, measured interview.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Scaremongering doesn't help one bit.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

                          As I suffer with year round Rhinitus, which gives me allergy symptoms, my watch point will be the cough.
                          it's not if you have it, more if someone thinks you have it,

                          Turn up at a cruise terminal sneezing and a runny nose don't expect them to believe you when you say it's just the pollen.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            This may be of help,
                             
                            Delboy


                            Photo Albums

                            https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

                            or

                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                              I think some of the media coverage is irresponsible and causing undue panic. I am watching less news programmes everyday.

                              Annie
                              The media are a law into themselves and take pride in promoting negativity.

                              However, I do actually see that in a rather ironic way, the panic may well have had a positive side effect. To stop the spread ,one of the primary things is to keep hands sanitised and that certainly seems to be happening.

                              At work, we are subject to "flexible working" when it comes to desks. Something that has always annoyed, but now a valid reason to challenge the practise. Our next safety brief is on Friday.... Watch this space!

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                                If I remember correctly the world was going to end in 2000 with the Millennium Bug. People stockpiled but it didn't end.

                                If I remember correctly the world would end if we voted leave in the Referendum. People stockpiled but it didn't end.

                                If I remember correctly the world would end if we left the EU. People stockpiled but it didn't end.

                                If I listen to the news the world will end with the current corona virus.

                                Do we need to stockpile? There must be millions of cans of soup, baked beans and the like at the back of peoples cupboards So long as they are not rusty they will be OK
                                I don't know what you read or what you listen to BUT whatever it is I would change my sources if I were you. .....Neil

                                Comment


                                We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.


                                By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

                                Working...
                                X