• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your opinion on the coronavirus outbreak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My last post has come up unapproved as I tried to amend it.
    Was going to add just saw this headline

The most dangerous thing about coronavirus is the hysteria”

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
      I think its been blown out of proportion, and a lot more people catching it are recovering from it than dying. Many thousands die from flu every year, but nothing is said about that.
      ................................................Ca rol
      The average in the UK is under 1k per year and this is with a very aggressive vaccine campaign.
      (the high numbers 10k+ are from the years like 2010/2011)

The total numbers are not the key indicator, mortality rate is much more important which is at least 10 times more than Flu with the current data sets.

if the containment procedures(part of which is encouraging people not to travel) are abandoned no one knows what the impact will be.

the government reports on flu weekly

Most cases are in schools or care homes

Comment

During the last month approximately 150 people have died on our roads whilst I can see no report of deaths from Coronavirus in the UK. In both cases we are not masters of our destiny and in Winston Churchill’s words we must “Keep bu88ering on” despite the efforts of the media to scare us.

As everyone says wash hand frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
          My last post has come up unapproved as I tried to amend it.
          Was going to add just saw this headline

The most dangerous thing about coronavirus is the hysteria”
          ...and my hands drying out from so much ruddy hand washing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
            I totally agree about the hand washing, common sense to protect ourselves from all sorts of viruses and bugs
            What concerns me more is no-one knows for sure (or so it seems) HOW it is transmitted.... could it be airborne? and how long does it survive outside the body? So many questions that would help me at least stop worrying too much. Nothing I can do I know, so more than fingers crossed for ALL.

Carol
            This was on Facebook, so I've no idea if it facts, but it does make sense!! -

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS
            Last evening dining out with friends, one of their uncles, who's graduated with a master's degree and who worked in Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) sent him the following notes on Coronavirus for guidance:

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
            2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
            3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
            4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
            5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
            6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
            7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
            8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
            9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
            10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!
            THE SYMPTOMS
            1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
            2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
            3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
            4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention

......................................Carol

Comment

This was on Facebook, so I've no idea if it facts, but it does make sense!! -

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS
              Last evening dining out with friends, one of their uncles, who's graduated with a master's degree and who worked in Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) sent him the following notes on Coronavirus for guidance:

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
              2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
              3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
              4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
              5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
              6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
              7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
              8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
              9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
              10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!
              THE SYMPTOMS
              1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
              2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
              3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
              4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention

......................................Carol
              I read that too Carol. It made me wonder if is worth wearing machine washable gloves when out and about, to protect out hands from both picking up the virus and transmitting it.

Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I read that too Carol. It made me wonder if is worth wearing machine washable gloves when out and about, to protect out hands from both picking up the virus and transmitting it.
                Yes I thought about gloves, after all you are not always near a bathroom to wash your hands after touching something.

I'm also not clear on this self isolation. How would you know if you had come into contact with someone who had the virus unless they were really ill, and how are the Doctors protecting themselves that are dealing with patients. Lots of questions, but no answers .................................................. .........................Carol

Comment

there is reporting of those with flu like symptoms entering the heath care system.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...al-flu-reports

digging through the few recent years reports these are the deaths.

18/19 312
                  17/18 372
                  16/17 133
                  15/16 209
                  14/15 107

Comment

Yes I thought about gloves, after all you are not always near a bathroom to wash your hands after touching something.

I'm also not clear on this self isolation. How would you know if you had come into contact with someone who had the virus unless they were really ill, and how are the Doctors protecting themselves that are dealing with patients. Lots of questions, but no answers .................................................. .........................Carol
                    Loads of answers on BBC on line news and videos.

Coronavirus: UK advice, symptoms, tests and treatment - in five graphics https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51674696

Face masks only prevent you from passing it on, they do not prevent you from getting it, you also need to regularly change them as useless once they become moist from breathing.

.Wearing of gloves can also be worse as there is no way of making sure th insides are perfectly clean.
                    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 3rd March 2020, 10:18 AM.
                    Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

I read a piece in the paper yesterday which said there is probably thousands walking around with this corona virus, and with just common cold effects [they just don't know it] just as flu affects large numbers of the elderly every year resulting in Pneumonia ,[I have had it twice two years running ] anti biotics staying warm got me over it.

I think the papers and news readers have frightened people more then was needed, Soon if they keep it up there will be panic buying in the shops.

Common sense needs to be applied, frequent handwashing , stay home if you are feeling bad with a could cough, or cold and dosing yourself up certainly don't visit the doctors surgery putting othrs at risk phone the emergency number. CG
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

...and my hands drying out from so much ruddy hand washing!!!
                        Yep need more hand cream too!!

Comment

I used a tissue this morning so that my hand didn’t touch the fuel pump whilst filling up. I glanced across to the next fuel as our cheery GP had said good morning to me, whilst he was filling his car. He had no such barrier between his hand and the fuel pump which made me feel a bit ridiculous lol

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post

Yep need more hand cream too!!
                            I've seen stockpilers out and about. I saw a chap with a big trolley full, and I mean, full, of cases of bottled water. Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is our tap water about to be contaminated too???

I have to say I have joined the stockpilers. I bought four tubes of Diprobase cream. The 500ml pump action container makes a hell of a rip in the pocket of my jeans!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

I've seen stockpilers out and about. I saw a chap with a big trolley full, and I mean, full, of cases of bottled water. Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is our tap water about to be contaminated too???

I have to say I have joined the stockpilers. I bought four tubes of Diprobase cream. The 500ml pump action container makes a hell of a rip in my jean's pocket!!
                              😂😂 bottles of water. Yep it’s armageddon obviously

Comment

Do you think the Chinese know something we don’t.

Saw a couple of them yesterday emptying the Supermarket store of spring greens, too many packets in their trolley to count.😳😉😎
                                Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X