• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinks package.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinks package.....

We had taken the reasonably priced Silver Spirits drinks package on our recent Viking Star cruise. However, Liz had been prescribed painkillers which precluded drinking alcohol.

Our next cruise (River Danube) it is looking likely that Liz will still be unable to drink alcohol so I e-mailed our cruise consultant to ask for the removal of the drinks package. Three minutes later he telephoned and said he would transfer us to Guest Services who would change it. A very polite young lady (aren't they all young now!) said the refund would be back in our account within 3-4 days.

Very pleasant and efficient (and saving a few bob as well). It definitely wouldn't have made economic sense for just me being able to drink.

Refreshing to have such excellent customer service (I know - at that price it would be expected).

Bill

p.s. any purchase on the previous cruise VAT was levied at the Spanish rate (21%). I cannot remember the reason for it but I somehow thought it would apply only to the Spanish ports we visited. I made a small purchase after leaving Portsmouth and we were in the Channel (closer to France as my mobile picked up Vodafone Paris) and the VAT was still charged at Spanish rate - anyone any info. on this practice? Naturally I would have preferred the VAT to go to the UK - just curious.

Lawnmowerman

The sort of service you would expect from Viking.

Are you doing the Danube Waltz with Viking?

A few years ago I remember leaving for Barcelona and the cruise line processed invoices once out of Spanish waters to avoid the VAT hike.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
      The sort of service you would expect from Viking.

Are you doing the Danube Waltz with Viking?

A few years ago I remember leaving for Barcelona and the cruise line processed invoices once out of Spanish waters to avoid the VAT hike.

John
      Yes John, Danube Waltz leaving Passau on the 29th March and an extension in Budapest.

Flights from Inverness changed (KLM) and Viking felt that we would arrive a little late in the day (after dinner) and suggested a change. Now flying BA to Heathrow (I can see some more Jo Malone being purchased!) and then on to Munich. First flight is now slightly later (1/2 hour which is good).

Looking forward to it.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Yes John, Danube Waltz leaving Passau on the 29th March and an extension in Budapest.

Flights from Inverness changed (KLM) and Viking felt that we would arrive a little late in the day (after dinner) and suggested a change. Now flying BA to Heathrow (I can see some more Jo Malone being purchased!) and then on to Munich. First flight is now slightly later (1/2 hour which is good).

Looking forward to it.

Bill
        Interested in your views, we are doing in in October but with the pre cruise stay in Prague, I am sure we will all enjoy.

John

Comment

Excellent customer service Bill. As you have mentioned, you expect that level of service when you’re paying though the nose for a cruise. That said, I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago with Celebrity - very impressed. I’m sure not all cruise lines would be as forthcoming and efficient.

Comment

Some lines will forgo the rule all in cabin must have the same package with medical or religious exemptions.
            Last edited by Topdeck, London; 28th January 2020, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
              Excellent customer service Bill. As you have mentioned, you expect that level of service when you’re paying though the nose for a cruise. That said, I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago with Celebrity - very impressed. I’m sure not all cruise lines would be as forthcoming and efficient.
              I know what you mean Mike. Having checked what is included I find them to be good value for money. Although if you don't take up the free excursions or pay for their alternative excursions, the value will be eroded slightly.

Cheers, Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                Some lines will forgoe the rule all in cabin must have the same package with medical or religious exemptions.
                Not offered by Viking TD. Of course with free drinks at mealtimes - although restricted to house choice - I think I'll manage with the odd purchase of premium drinks (having said that if I could drink the same amount as I did when I was 20 then Viking would be seriously in deficit with my DP)!

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

With P&O drinks package, I understand if a drinks package is required, if two adults in the cabin, then both have to have the package.
                  Don't know result, but somebody asked on a face book page, what happens if one them is pregnant.?
                  Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Hi Del
                    The problem with the P&O package is,,one is only allowed 15 drinks a day,
                    I would have to pay for my coffee.
                    JC
                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X