• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise cough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise cough

I am still suffering "Cruise cough" 2 weeks after getting off Oriana. I don't have a temperature, just an irritating cough which started the day we disembarked.

Have you ever had this and what did you do to get rid of it?

In all the cruises I have been on, this is the first time I have had this, though have heard it talked about.

By the way, my husband is also coughing, so this is for both of us. I heard it may be due to the air conditioning but never affected either of us before.

Comment

My partner had it for a while once we got off QV..
      But it was a better class of cough..

Regards
      Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post

Regards
        Garf
        😂 nice response Garf.......Yes, the dreaded cruise cough. Lying freezing in bed at night usually results in the “cruise cough” for us too.

Comment

Regards
          Garf
          HA!
          I got a bit of a cough on Victoria in April, but lemon grass and ginger tea with a dollop of honey, a few times a day seemed to do the trick.

Oh and sauvignon blanc and L.I.I.T.. Not in the same glass or that would have seen me off, never mind the cough.

Comment

Hi I can't recommend a cure sorry hope you feel better soon.Air con affects my wife not just on board ship.On our recent cruise,I had invested in a portable usb humidifier,cost less than a tenner on eBay.
            No cruise cough...

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
              Hi I can't recommend a cure sorry hope you feel better soon.Air con affects my wife not just on board ship.On our recent cruise,I had invested in a portable usb humidifier,cost less than a tenner on eBay.
              No cruise cough...
              Thanks for the tip. We are off again in 9 weeks for a fortnight in the Mediterranean, so I think I will invest in one of these. Don't want to go through this again.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

😂 nice response Garf.......Yes, the dreaded cruise cough. Lying freezing in bed at nI ight usually results in the “cruise cough” for us too.
                I remember not being able to get the temperature right and being either freezing or boiling on this cruise. Can usually regulate and get the temperature comfortable, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Comment

Regular lubricants can help reduce the chances and duration

The dryness can lead to infection.

I rarely get it but did have one that went to chest then upto nasel took a couple of weeks to go(no drugs).

It does seem some people and some ships are more prone to the condition.

Comment

I've had the dreaded cruise cough a couple of times on our long cruises.

The last time was on Boudicca during our 77 night cruise around S.America

So many of us were coughing, which is often embarrassing when listening to talks during sea days.

The annoying thing for me was that the cough stopped me singing in the Choir on board for a few days.

I didn't find anything to ease it, apart from the odd G & T.
                    Jill

Comment

Of all the cruiselines I have been on there is only Cunard where I have had a cough , In fact one lady who heard me coughing said " Oh I see you have got the Cunard Cough " 3 times I have had it , As much as feeling awful I find it really embarrassing ,

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

HA!
                        I got a bit of a cough on Victoria in April, but lemon grass and ginger tea with a dollop of honey, a few times a day seemed to do the trick.

Oh and sauvignon blanc and L.I.I.T.. Not in the same glass or that would have seen me off, never mind the cough.
                        Hi Mrs M
                        That's all madam drinks all the time..those little honey pots on Cunard are a great idea.
                        Even I was having one of those in a cup of hot water as it made a nice change from the usual English Breakfast tea.
                        Regards
                        Garf.

Ooops she has just reminded me she started the dreaded cough whilst we were on QV not after.
                        Not that it makes a lot of difference.
                        Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 5th August 2019, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Had it twice, once on the old P&O Victoria, and once on Celebrity Solstice in NZ. Ship's doctor put me on a nebuliser, but other than that it was a case of grin and bear it. It took some weeks to settle down when we got home. I wasn't really ill, just couldn't stop coughing.

Comment

Hi Mrs M
                            That's all madam drinks all the time..those little honey pots on Cunard are a great idea.
                            Even I was having one of those in a cup of hot water as it made a nice change from the usual English Breakfast tea.
                            Regards
                            Garf.

Ooops she has just reminded me she started the dreaded cough whilst we were on QV not after.
                            Not that it makes a lot of difference.
                            I used to raid the Lido every morning whilst I had the cough. Teabags, lemon slices and honey pots. Did the trick so my Cunard Cough was def. of the Junior variety.
                            Actually, it was noticeable the hacking coughs weren’t as much in evidence this world cruise as it was the last time we World Cruise sectored.
                            First time and hopefully, the last onboard caught cough.

Comment

I think that it is not a cruise cough if you never experienced it before. Just think about what and where you were doing before with your husband, maybe it's just a cold

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X