• Ahoy there! Why not join the UKโ€™s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sun Headlines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun Headlines

last week, I think it was Duncan discussing the dramatic newspaper headlines over the P&O fight. I think it was something like: "Bloodbath at the Buffet".

Whatever you may think of The Sun's standards of journalism, they do come up with some of the best headlines in print.

A few days later, referring to the same story, the Sun wrote "Brawl-Inclusive".
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Annie will be along shortly ๐Ÿ˜€

Comment

Didn't see the headline or read the paper but I guess within the write up there were references to at least one of the following; Drunken rampaging football hooligans, Benefits claimants, Butlins, Benidorm, bun fights or Carry On Cruising.

Or was that the Daily Mail?

Comment

I've just been reading the latest cruise bulletin with a piece by Molly that has a report of a group numbering 52...yes that's 52, were put off an RCI cruise
        It doesn't say where but looking at the comments underneath it would appear to have been a cruise out of China.
        Surprised that hasn't been picked up here in the UK.

Regards
        Garf.

Comment

Phew, itโ€™s a scorcher was a classic

in bad taste was the Gotcha, when the Argentinian submarine was sunk.

John

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
            Annie will be along shortly ๐Ÿ˜€
            Watch out Annie's about.

Comment

I respect people's right to read whatever paper they want but equally I'm allowed the opinion that the Sun is a newspaper I would never read,it's not just Annie.
              I lost a friend at Hillsborough and their lies of fans urinating on police and robbing the dead will never be forgotten or forgiven in Liverpool .
              Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 5th August 2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

We're all allowed our own opinions, but Annie made it personal by questioning the integrity of a member in posting a link. I suppose Malcolm will come under her scrutiny now by daring to discuss The Sun's brilliant headline puns and no, I can't say I've ever read the paper, but I admire clever copywriters who come up with the amazing headlines.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                  We're all allowed our own opinions, but Annie made it personal by questioning the integrity of a member in posting a link. I suppose Malcolm will come under her scrutiny now by daring to discuss The Sun's brilliant headline puns and no, I can't say I've ever read the paper, but I admire clever copywriters who come up with the amazing headlines.
                  I'm sure Annie can speak for herself but I doubt that was her intention,the written word can be misinterpreted.
                  I'm not putting Malcolm under scrutiny, but it's also not just me that feels strongly about the Sun,as evidenced by the first posting.
                  It's difficult to know how a paper can stoop any lower than creating false stories about the dead and their relatives,no matter how long ago.
                  Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 5th August 2019, 09:56 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post

I'm sure Annie can speak for herself but I doubt that was her intention,the written word can be misinterpreted.
                    I'm not putting Malcolm under scrutiny, but it's also not just me that feels strongly about the Sun,as evidenced by the first posting.
                    It's difficult to know how a paper can stoop any lower than creating false stories about the dead and their relatives,no matter how long ago.
                    The Sun isn't alone in muckraking. Absolutely dreadful I agree. News of the World springs to mind immediately for me.

Headlines are still really clever though!

Comment

I'm neither parsing or criticising The Sun, I just think they have the funniest/most outrageous headlines.

Interestingly I met a freelance journalist on holiday some years back. I said "Who do you write for". He said "Anybody who pays for my stories".

I laughed and said O.K. "Who do you prefer to write for". Surprisingly he said "The Sun". I said "Why". He replied "As the Sun outsells all the other papers, one story in it will pay my mortgage for a few months. A story in the Times pays it for a week".

O.K, I said. "Which is the most difficult paper to write for". He replied "The Sun". I said "why". He said there is a lot of competition, every freelance journalist wants the big pay cheque.

He said that he sometime wrote sport. He said that a story like "Chelsea 2, West Ham 1" would probably not get in The Sun. You need an unique angle, like "Dressing Room Punch-up at West Ham Defeat" - and that kind of story is not easy to get hold of.

He said, The Sun is very well respected in Fleet street (as it was then) as very successful product (the best selling Newspaper),
                      Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 5th August 2019, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                        I'm neither parsing or criticising The Sun, I just think they have the funniest/most outrageous headlines.

Interestingly I met a freelance journalist on holiday some years back. I said "Who do you write for". He said "Anybody who pays for my stories".

I laughed and said O.K. "Who do you prefer to write for". Surprisingly he said "The Sun". I said "Why". He replied "As the Sun outsells all the other papers, one story in it will pay my mortgage for a few months. A story in the Times pays it for a week".

O.K, I said. "Which is the most difficult paper to write for". He replied "The Sun". I said "why". He said there is a lot of competition, every freelance journalist wants the big pay cheque.

He said that he sometime wrote sport. He said that a story like "Chelsea 2, West Ham 1" would probably not get in The Sun. You need an unique angle, like "Dressing Room Punch-up at West Ham Defeat" - and that kind of story is not easy to get hold of.

He said, The Sun is very well respected in Fleet street (as it was then) as very successful product (the best selling Newspaper),
                        But then as someone who had work published in the Sun he would say it was well respected.Ive met plenty of journalists in my time and many were freelance.More than half would not contemplate writing for the Sun
                        Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 5th August 2019, 04:42 PM. Reason: Error

Comment

Newspapers are a bit past it now. We only buy one if we have some time to spare, when waiting to board a ship or going on some other holiday. They seem to have got so much thinner now and are a complete waste of paper resources. You can get what news you need from a lot of other sources these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                            Headlines are still really clever though!
                            Do you remember "Freddie Star Ate My Hamster"?

or the Westland Helicopter deception: "Who told chopper whopper?"

Comment

96 Youโ€™ll never walk alone ๐Ÿ˜ข

No further words needed about that rag of lies!
                              Past cruises:
                              Carnival Conquest October 2002
                              Independence of the Seas October 2012
                              Independence of the Seas May 2014
                              Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                              Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...