• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking Oxygen on board ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith7
    started a topic Taking Oxygen on board ship

Taking Oxygen on board ship

I am after a bit of advice on behalf of a friend who suffers with COPD and is now on permanent oxygen.

She loves cruising but is now not sure if she would be allowed to take oxygen on board ship or if the ship would supply it (at a cost of course).

She doesn't belong to a cruise forum and is not sure how to go about finding out, so has asked me to do the honours for her.

Any advice that I can pass on would be much appreciated.

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by Dancing Queen, Chesterfield View Post

Just to clarify when I said the ship would only provide oxygen in an emergency obviously if eqiupment failed or wouldn't re-charge then it would be considered an emergency, what I should have said was the units are not available to hire on board but if needed would be made available.
    Thanks DQ. I now know that her Oxygen supplier is happy to provide what she needs for a cruise.

She is looking in and hopes to be able to get on the forum soon with a new password tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Dancing Queen, Chesterfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    Check insurance.

The issue with anything electrical that is needed to sustain life is emergency supply.

Just to clarify when I said the ship would only provide oxygen in an emergency obviously if eqiupment failed or wouldn't re-charge then it would be considered an emergency, what I should have said was the units are not available to hire on board but if needed would be made available.

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    Check insurance.

The issue with anything electrical that is needed to sustain life is emergency supply.
    Good point, I think the electrical supply is to re charge the batteries in the portable unit

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Check insurance.

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by Dancing Queen, Chesterfield View Post
    I know of someone who uses oxygen ( unfortuntaely I don't have their email address to ask ) what I can tell you though from a conversation I had with them the oxygen containers are their own - the cruise lines only provide oxygen in an emergency, I also recall her telling me she had to provide the cruise line what the equipment /prescription ?? was pre cruise ( certainly P&O and Cunard do not have a problem accepting passengers on board who use oxygen )

John has mentioned electrical safety checks which I assume would be a condition the equipment would need to be checked on board as the units need to be recharged but I can't see it being a problem.

If your friend has a preferred cruise line I think if it were me I would make them my 'first port of call' to ask the question as each cruise line probably varies.
    Thanks DQ. I will alert her to your reply.

Leave a comment:

• Dancing Queen, Chesterfield
    replied
    I know of someone who uses oxygen ( unfortuntaely I don't have their email address to ask ) what I can tell you though from a conversation I had with them the oxygen containers are their own - the cruise lines only provide oxygen in an emergency, I also recall her telling me she had to provide the cruise line what the equipment /prescription ?? was pre cruise ( certainly P&O and Cunard do not have a problem accepting passengers on board who use oxygen )

John has mentioned electrical safety checks which I assume would be a condition the equipment would need to be checked on board as the units need to be recharged but I can't see it being a problem.

If your friend has a preferred cruise line I think if it were me I would make them my 'first port of call' to ask the question as each cruise line probably varies.
    Last edited by Dancing Queen, Chesterfield; 20th July 2019, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
    OK. sounds like a portable oxygen concentrator, its an ideal solution as it takes Oxygen from the air, and as the name suggests concentrates it and she will then breath the enhanced air through a nasal canulae, the only issue should be the electrical safety check of the unit and fingers crossed she will be good to go.

She is probably aware of this organisation, who may be able to offer impartial advise

https://www.blf.org.uk/

John
    Yes, a concentrator sounds logical. She now tells me that she only uses it when needed. I do know however that she hasn't been using it for long so is still learning what she can and can't do when travelling.

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    OK. sounds like a portable oxygen concentrator, its an ideal solution as it takes Oxygen from the air, and as the name suggests concentrates it and she will then breath the enhanced air through a nasal canulae, the only issue should be the electrical safety check of the unit and fingers crossed she will be good to go.

She is probably aware of this organisation, who may be able to offer impartial advise

https://www.blf.org.uk/

John

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied

That sounds like liquid oxygen, the small cylinder she carries will be filled from a master cylinder, if that’s the case she will need to ask about the master cylinder
    She says it isn't liquid oxygen because she has to plug in to charge it up (sorry I don't understand)

She is working on getting onto the forum. She tried, using her email address but admin said that she is already registered. She hasn't posted for years and is now waiting for CD to send her a new password.

Thanks for your help John.

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I have just asked her and she said that she carries her oxygen in what looks like a shoulder bag. I am trying to encourage her to sign on to the forum- fingers crossed.
    That sounds like liquid oxygen, the small cylinder she carries will be filled from a master cylinder, if that’s the case she will need to ask about the master cylinder

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    I would also suggest that if she contacts her oxygen provider they may be able to offer help, do you know if she has cylinder oxygen , liquid or a concentrator?

John
    I have just asked her and she said that she carries her oxygen in what looks like a shoulder bag. I am trying to encourage her to sign on to the forum- fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

No I don't know but I have given her the link to this forum so that she can read the answers.
    I was involved with home healthcare in a past life, If I can help in any way either ask or send a message and I will do my best to advise.

John

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    I would also suggest that if she contacts her oxygen provider they may be able to offer help, do you know if she has cylinder oxygen , liquid or a concentrator?

John
    No I don't know but I have given her the link to this forum so that she can read the answers.

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied

John

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X