• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bali

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bali

Has anyone been to Bali recently? I am busy organising what to do in ports on our Boudicca cruise in January. We will be there for 2 days. I have booked a day cycling with a local tour company for the first day. The price is really reasonable and it sounds interesting. We will be cycle g along quiet roads tbrough local villages passing paddy fields, calling at a village school, coffee plantation and a few other places along the way. We get breakfast overliikemind a lake and lunch at the of the ride. We will be picked up from the ship by private transfer and taken back at the end All for £27 each
    I am not sure what to do on the second day. There is so much to choose from, unlike Papua New guinea where I still haven't found anything
    I would like go do the white water rafting but it will take up the full day and I would really like to see some local crafts such as batik and silver jewellery. I haven't really found anywhere to do this. There seems to be a few markets but I think the vendors are quite pushy. I can cope with this, and the haggling but my husband doesn't like it and starts to get cross!
    Anyone any recommendations where we could see the crafts and not be hassled,

It sounds lovely, but after a days cycling I would need a rest day! If you plan the whitewater rafting, make sure your insurance covers you, as many don't include some sports. Personally I'd go with the markets.

Comment

It has been many years since I holidayed in Bali, but I do recall visiting a wood carving workplace where the quality of the work was absolutely stunning. We used a local taxi driver who took us there , plus a visit to the terraced rice fields and Monkey Jungle.

I did read shortly after my Bali trip of someone being badly conned out side one of the wood carving places.

A guy was selling a pair of beautifully carved pieces which justified a high price tag.

After payment he handed them a gift wrapped box with the said pieces in.

When they got on the coach, on the way back to the hotel they unwrapped them, only to find a badly carved copy that looked like it had been done with a penknife.

Caveat Emptor..............Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
        It sounds lovely, but after a days cycling I would need a rest day! If you plan the whitewater rafting, make sure your insurance covers you, as many don't include some sports. Personally I'd go with the markets.
        You might be right about the rest. I wouldn't mind a bit if time on a nice beach but it is the rainy season so will have to see what the weather is like. Yes wear a fully covered for all eventualities on our insurance. We have been white water rafti g before' one in Australia and again in France where the water was very cold and we had to get changed in a bus shelter.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
        X