• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Booked a cruise - woo-hoo!! Well not quite.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Booked a cruise - woo-hoo!! Well not quite.....

    Due to health concerns it has been two years since our last cruise. I am really, REALLY looking forward to this. Well, not quite a cruise - OK it's a ferry crossing - 1 1/2 hours (but we stay overnight (whilst docked) on the boat for our return journey).

    For a long while we have wanted to travel to Orkney - well the port (Scrabster) is only about 90 mins. from our door. First came to my notice in 1989 when there was a dock strike and VW used it to bring cars into the UK in time for the August registrations. So late September here we come. Excited on so many levels:

    Sailing close to the Old Man of Hoy

    The wildlife - puffins, otters and sea-life (Orcas if we are lucky)

    The history - the Standing Stones of Stennes, Ring of Brodgar, Skara Brae & Skail House, Maeshowe Chambered Cairn

    Fine whisky - Highland Park & Scapa (to my shame I didn't know about this distillery - can't wait!) (So many whiskies so little time!)

    And food - Orkney cheese (love it) and fine Salmon (even if most of it is farmed - I am really not comfortable with that)

    And the Dark Skies - even though it is 59 degrees north we will have some decent darkness at that time of year (telescope, binoculars & camera gear will be packed)

    And much, much more.....

    So 5 nights at the Highland Park House will be more than comfortable enough to withstand the worst weather should it happen (it is Scotland after all) and anyway brilliant weather is not the best for photography! Plan for the worst and hope for the best!

    Bill


    Lawnmowerman

    #2
    I'm quite envious.

    We love Orkney although we've only visited [4x] on either Victoria or Elizabeth.

    Can I add a [probably superfluous for you but maybe not for your wife] possible couple of hours activity. One of my favourite [not expensive so no panic Mr Mannering] jewellers is based in Orkney and if you make an appointment, you can visit the workshop.
    The jeweller is ''Sheila Fleet'' and it's a great couple of hours.

    Edit
    https://sheilafleet.com/the-workshop
    Last edited by Mrs M; 14th July 2019, 11:55 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
      Due to health concerns it has been two years since our last cruise. I am really, REALLY looking forward to this. Well, not quite a cruise - OK it's a ferry crossing - 1 1/2 hours (but we stay overnight (whilst docked) on the boat for our return journey).

      For a long while we have wanted to travel to Orkney - well the port (Scrabster) is only about 90 mins. from our door. First came to my notice in 1989 when there was a dock strike and VW used it to bring cars into the UK in time for the August registrations. So late September here we come. Excited on so many levels:

      Sailing close to the Old Man of Hoy

      The wildlife - puffins, otters and sea-life (Orcas if we are lucky)

      The history - the Standing Stones of Stennes, Ring of Brodgar, Skara Brae & Skail House, Maeshowe Chambered Cairn

      Fine whisky - Highland Park & Scapa (to my shame I didn't know about this distillery - can't wait!) (So many whiskies so little time!)

      And food - Orkney cheese (love it) and fine Salmon (even if most of it is farmed - I am really not comfortable with that)

      And the Dark Skies - even though it is 59 degrees north we will have some decent darkness at that time of year (telescope, binoculars & camera gear will be packed)

      And much, much more.....

      So 5 nights at the Highland Park House will be more than comfortable enough to withstand the worst weather should it happen (it is Scotland after all) and anyway brilliant weather is not the best for photography! Plan for the worst and hope for the best!

      Bill
      Enjoy.

      I did that crossing in July 2014 - that glorious summer of the Commonwealth games- when people sunbathed in their undies on the beach near Skara Brae.

      Use sunscreen on the ferry crossing SPF50 saved me from being burnt!

      I did meet one disgruntled English family who complained that Orkney was too hot - they had only packed winter woollies!

      Annie

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
        I'm quite envious.

        We love Orkney although we've only visited [4x] on either Victoria or Elizabeth.

        Can I add a [probably superfluous for you but maybe not for your wife] possible couple of hours activity. One of my favourite [not expensive so no panic Mr Mannering] jewellers is based in Orkney and if you make an appointment, you can visit the workshop.
        The jeweller is ''Sheila Fleet'' and it's a great couple of hours.

        Edit
        https://sheilafleet.com/the-workshop
        Thanks Mrs.M. we sell Sheila Fleet in our store - it is beautiful (and though not expensive I get trade discount!)

        Bill


        Lawnmowerman

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

          Enjoy.

          I did that crossing in July 2014 - that glorious summer of the Commonwealth games- when people sunbathed in their undies on the beach near Skara Brae.

          Use sunscreen on the ferry crossing SPF50 saved me from being burnt!

          I did meet one disgruntled English family who complained that Orkney was too hot - they had only packed winter woollies!

          Annie
          Well known in the UK - prepare for all seasons!

          Billy Connelly once said Scotland only has two seasons - May & Winter!

          Bill

          Oops - mustn't forget the Italian Chapel.


          Lawnmowerman

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

            Thanks Mrs.M. we sell Sheila Fleet in our store - it is beautiful (and though not expensive I get trade discount!)

            Bill
            Huh
            Now I'm more than envious. I'm jealous!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

              Huh
              Now I'm more than envious. I'm jealous!
              No need to be envious.

              If you need to decommission a nuclear reactor or build a new ferry terminal or Forth road crossing just give us a shout - mates rates .

              Bill


              Lawnmowerman

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                I'm quite envious.

                We love Orkney although we've only visited [4x] on either Victoria or Elizabeth.

                Can I add a [probably superfluous for you but maybe not for your wife] possible couple of hours activity. One of my favourite [not expensive so no panic Mr Mannering] jewellers is based in Orkney and if you make an appointment, you can visit the workshop.
                The jeweller is ''Sheila Fleet'' and it's a great couple of hours.

                Edit
                https://sheilafleet.com/the-workshop
                I like your way of thinking Mrs M!

                Take care, Helen

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

                  No need to be envious.

                  If you need to decommission a nuclear reactor or build a new ferry terminal or Forth road crossing just give us a shout - mates rates .

                  Bill
                  🤣🤣🤣🤣

                  Take care, Helen

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Have a fabulous time. I hope the weather is kind but if not you’ve a couple of whisky distilleries, sea food, wonderful cheese and oatcakes to pass the time. 🥃🧀🍤
                    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                      Have a fabulous time. I hope the weather is kind but if not you’ve a couple of whisky distilleries, sea food, wonderful cheese and oatcakes to pass the time. 🥃🧀🍤
                      Many thanks, nobody holidays in the UK for the weather and as you say plenty to be occupied with.

                      Bill


                      Lawnmowerman

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Hubby wants a bit of a break from cruising, in June we did Greek island hopping and it was truly one of our best holidays... The ferry experiences were such fun, from Santorini to Paros, Naxos and Mykonos... Hotels (suites..) were probably the best we have ever stayed in, and we are choosy.. Would do it all again..😊

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

                          Well known in the UK - prepare for all seasons!

                          Billy Connelly once said Scotland only has two seasons - May & Winter!

                          Bill

                          Oops - mustn't forget the Italian Chapel.
                          The chapel is a delight, in fact we had a brilliant trip around the island on our most recent cruise.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Have a fabulous time. Never mind the weather who knows what it will be like with global warming!

                            Yes the Italian Chapel is a lovely little place, very moving.

                            I love Sheila Fleet's jewellery almost made me get my ears pierced to wear her gorgeous ear rings, but not quite!

                            If your wife is into knitting, Jamieson's is brilliant with it's huge range of gorgeous Shetland wools all the shades & all the types of wool. Spent a nice hour or so browsing there, so hard to choose!

                            The museums are really good too. I especially liked the Scalloway Museum with its story of the Shetland Bus where during World War 2 Shetland fisherman crossed over to Norway to rescue refugees & bring them back to Shetland. Amazing bravery!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post
                              Have a fabulous time. Never mind the weather who knows what it will be like with global warming!

                              Yes the Italian Chapel is a lovely little place, very moving.

                              I love Sheila Fleet's jewellery almost made me get my ears pierced to wear her gorgeous ear rings, but not quite!

                              If your wife is into knitting, Jamieson's is brilliant with it's huge range of gorgeous Shetland wools all the shades & all the types of wool. Spent a nice hour or so browsing there, so hard to choose!

                              The museums are really good too. I especially liked the Scalloway Museum with its story of the Shetland Bus where during World War 2 Shetland fisherman crossed over to Norway to rescue refugees & bring them back to Shetland. Amazing bravery!
                              Can't knit now because of her Parkinson's but that won't stop her having a look! Really looking forward to it. Makes a nice change to spend some time in a location rather than 6-8 hours as per a cruise.

                              I must say though that some times 6 hours in some locations are about 5 hours too much. On the other hand we have taken holidays in locations just because we loved it so much from a cruise visit.

                              Thanks for your advice.

                              Bill


                              Lawnmowerman

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X