• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you planning a visit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you planning a visit?

Hi all, I was just reading about the on going problem in Rome about their failure to deal with their rubbish.

Apparently they have no where to put the 1.7 million tons of waste after they closed the landfill site in 2013.

Experts are warning of health risks as tons of rubbish is now festering in the heat. I am pleased I am not visiting either on a cruise or a land based visit.

Anyone due to visit this summer.? Jan.

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
    Hi all, I was just reading about the on going problem in Rome about their failure to deal with their rubbish.

Apparently they have no where to put the 1.7 million tons of waste after they closed the landfill site in 2013.

Experts are warning of health risks as tons of rubbish is now festering in the heat. I am pleased I am not visiting either on a cruise or a land based visit.

I'm probably on my own, but one visit was more than enough for me to Rome, I really didn't think much of it at all.

I know they have millions of visitors a year, so it must be awful trying to deal with all the rubbish created ..............................................Caro l

Comment

One of my favourite cities. I have been many times and will go again, but thankfully not this year. Being organised isn't an Italian strong point in my experience.

Comment

I agree with you Carol, I have been once and was shocked by the dirtiness of the place, And the graffiti... For a Capital City I think they must do more, I know loads of massive cities have problems but Rome seems to stand out much more than others. Jan.

Comment

No plans to revisit Rome, with or without the rubbish problem. Been there, done that.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
            One of my favourite cities. I have been many times and will go again, but thankfully not this year. Being organised isn't an Italian strong point in my experience.
            Agreed, its a great city with lots to see and do, we would be happy to go back

John

Comment

I don't think I'd like to visit in the summer. As if the heat wasn't bad enough it seems we now have to worry about the smell!

I have visited Rome 3 times now, the first being on a city break stay and the other times as day visits from ships. There is still so much I want to see and do there, I don't think I will ever get sick of visiting.
              Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post

I have been lucky enough to spend 1 complete week twice in Rome in addition to day trips.

Happy I completed my week long trips in the '80s and '90s.

I don't fancy visiting Italian cities in the summer now - too many tourists

Annie

Comment

Hi all
                  I would do Rome anytime for a long weekend.
                  Never again as a day trip from a cruise ship.....if i was going to visit an Italian city for a long day excursion it would have to be the magnificent city of Florence,,,its all there,no hiking required.
                  JC
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Visiting for the first time October next year on Anthem. Let’s hope they’ve not disappeared completely under their rubbish by then.

Comment

I love Rome. To me it’s and outdoor museum. Everywhere you turn/go there’s something else to see.
                      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Oh I love Rome too, we would go back anytime. We spent a couple of nights pre cruise and only really saw some of the highlights and there's plenty more to go back and see.

Getting rid of rubbish is becoming a huge problem for many cities around the globe , not just Rome. It's not going to be very pleasant in the current heatwave if rubbish is turning into a health hazard.
                        BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

I absolutely love Rome and it's history having been twice, last time was on my own by train from the port of Civitavechia and was standing on the Spanish Steps in Rome at 10am at the start of a self planned walking tour of the city. Miss the crowds early morning.
                          Have to say I did not see any rubbish or graffiti on either of my visits, could be I was not looking for it spending most of my time with my eyes glued to my camera photographing Romes history.
                          My first trip was an eleven hour Excursion of the Vatican and its museums, St Peters Basilica, The Sistine Chapel and included a 3 course lunch in a small restaurant in Rome.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/de...7626154501560/ IMG_4340.jpg
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                            I absolutely love Rome and it's history having been twice, last time was on my own by train from the port of Civitavechia and was standing on the Spanish Steps in Rome at 10am at the start of a self planned walking tour of the city. Miss the crowds early morning.
                            Have to say I did not see any rubbish or graffiti on either of my visits, could be I was not looking for it spending most of my time with my eyes glued to my camera photographing Romes history.
                            My first trip was an eleven hour Excursion of the Vatican and its museums, St Peters Basilica, The Sistine Chapel and included a 3 course lunch in a small restaurant in Rome.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/de...7626154501560/ IMG_4340.jpg
                            Nice to see you posting again Delboy. I've missed your stunning photos.
                            Jill

Comment

Great picture, Delboy, showing what an absolute jumble the forum is. I still can't get my ahead around the layout whenever I visit despite walking around there several times and looking down on it from the main road and the Palatine Hill.
                              Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X