• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Licence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks John
    Ageuk signed as well.

Regards
    Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
      Thanks John
      Ageuk signed as well.

Regards
      Garfield
      No signature from me - millionaire pensioners don't need a free TV licence

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

I am not yet eligible for the free TV licence so what I've never had I won't miss.

However, I am in receipt of the state pension, I have a bus pass which I use frequently, I get free prescriptions, a silly £10 'Gift' at Christmas and a fuel allowance.

More people are living longer now and younger generations are having to work longer. Something has got to give, despite all the objections.

Those in genuine need can get help in benefits but I for one .would be happy to forego the Christmas gift and fuel allowance to help finance those less fortunate.
        I agree.
        Something has to give and if it's a TV license [and fuel allowance and bus pass...] for those who can afford not to receive it, then it's time for a change, but as we're specifically talking BBC, please can we look at the BBC fat cat salaries those of us who do pay for our licenses, are funding. If it means the company has to ''go commercial'', well maybe that's sad, but a sign of the times.

Comment

Effects of taxes and benefits by age of head of household, UK, financial year ending 2018

Figure 10- Households whose head is aged 64 years and over received more in benefits than they paid in taxes on average in the financial year ending 2018.png

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Agreed.

i am in a similar position but I only use my bus pass currently one day per week.

Back to the TV licence - why are we tasking the BBC to distribute government welfare? That is not their function.

Annie
            I don't normally defend the Government but the BBC accepted this deal when they reached an arrangement with the George Osborne, will any of the leadership candidates challenge it, Probably BJ after all he proposes to give more money to pensioners earning more than £80K PA

John

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
              but
              I agree.
              Something has to give and if it's a TV license [and fuel allowance and bus pass...] for those who can afford not to receive it, then it's time for a change, but as we're specifically talking BBC, please can we look at the BBC fat cat salaries those of us who do pay for our licenses, are funding. If it means the company has to ''go commercial'', well maybe that's sad, but a sign of the times.
              Yes, P said the same about the fat cat salaries but can you see them reducing anytime soon?

Wouldn't it be great if the BBC presenters that get paid a fortune would step forward and volunteer to take a much reduced salary in order to finance the free License for the over 75s.
              Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post

I don't normally defend the Government but the BBC accepted this deal when they reached an arrangement with the George Osborne, will any of the leadership candidates challenge it, Probably BJ after all he proposes to give more money to pensioners earning more than £80K PA

John
                I wonder how much arm twisting was involved?? Nett result was another welfare benefit off the government books.

However going forward, a replacement for the license will have to be found if we want to retain the BBC. Advertising is not the answer as I suspect many of us record TV and fast forward through the adverts.

Annie

Comment

I wonder how much arm twisting was involved?? Nett result was another welfare benefit off the government books.

However going forward, a replacement for the license will have to be found if we want to retain the BBC. Advertising is not the answer as I suspect many of us record TV and fast forward through the adverts.

Annie
                  Agreed, but the BBC also has to change it's culture, they have effectively given up televising sport, the news is unwatchable in my view and the fee cant be justified on the quality of local radio and the odd show like Killing Eve

John

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                    Not surprising those over 64 received more in benefits than they paid in taxes. They have however contributed more in taxes than they received in benefits during their 45 - 50 years of work!

Comment

It is the financially thrifty pensioners like my 90 year old mother who saved for their pensions and worked hard all their lives that will be hit most if their "free" TV licences are taken away. If you were on benefits and never paid tax then you are home free! It's just not fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post

Agreed, but the BBC also has to change it's culture, they have effectively given up televising sport, the news is unwatchable in my view and the fee cant be justified on the quality of local radio and the odd show like Killing Eve

John
                        No disagreement here. I am watching less TV now than at any time.

The BBC has been out-bid for the television rights of many sporting events. I do miss the Open Golf championship though. Pleased they still have Wimbledon however. I know how much tickets cost. That and SCD (Strictly Come Dancing)

Possibly time to reduce the size of the BBC?? don't know.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Lottie A, UK View Post
                          It is the financially thrifty pensioners like my 90 year old mother who saved for their pensions and worked hard all their lives that will be hit most if their "free" TV licences are taken away. If you were on benefits and never paid tax then you are home free! It's just not fair.
                          Agree with you there. We have worked all our lives, The only time I didn't work was when I went on maternity leave, Also been robbed of 6 years pension whilst
                          still having to pay full N.I.contributions of over £100 pcm.
                          Have slightly older friends, Lady had 3 children and never went back to work so she had only ever paid the "small " stamp. Hence when she hit 60 did not have enough paid in to receive full pension. Result ? Pension credits.
                          Her Husband went permanent sick while it was pretty easy to with a frozen shoulder, He was 55. Now they then sold their house and got a nice little bungalow from the council and brag about cheap hols to the med for 6 weeks at a time whilst claiming everything in sight. All on Pension "CREDITS" which AT THE END OF THE DAY is A benefit , Unlike proper pension which has been paid over a persons whole working life.

No doubt if either of them need care they will not have the worry of having to sell their home to fund it. Jan.

Comment

No signature from me - millionaire pensioners don't need a free TV licence

Annie
                            Punishing the many for the ills of the few.
                            Surprised at you.

Regards
                            Garfields

Comment

A fairer way would be to let those that are currently receiving a free TV licence keep it and stop giving one to new people reaching 75. Eventually as we all die off no one will get a free TV licence.

Until then it might encourage the BBC to get it's house in order. Stop trying to operate in all markets, cut out waste and inefficiency's and reduce excessive salaries.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Cha...e_BBC#National for a listing of current BBC operations.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post

Punishing the many for the ills of the few.
                                Surprised at you.

Regards
                                Garfields
                                I am not punishing anyone.

Big mistake by Gordon Brown introducing free TV licence. BTW who introduced the Winter Fuel Allowance?? We should scrap that and divert that funding into Social Care or the NHS.

Annie
                                Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 12th June 2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X