• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Licence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV Licence

Totally shocking that free TV licences are being taken off older people. I agree some older people can afford to pay, but sometimes elderly are just about managing and to be taking the licence off them, when often they are lonely and living on their own is shocking. It is about time BBC raised their own funding, just like every other channel does from advertising. Or having the option of not receiving BBC and not paying the TV licence. If you pay for Sky etc, you are already paying for certain channels.

Do you agree the BBC should be self funding through advertising and the licence should be scrapped for all?, That is one way you would get good programming, as if they had to raise funds for advertising, unless programmes were good, advertisers would not buy.

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

Do you agree the BBC should be self funding through advertising and the licence should be scrapped for all?
    With the modern multitude of channels (even if a lot of them are rubbish) it does not make sense that one has an annual fee.
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 11th June 2019, 09:30 PM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Low income household over 75 will still get it free, so no complaints from me.

Comment

We could scrap the fee, and then we can all watch subscription tv full of ads and rubbish programming. Then everyone who wants to watch it (including over 75's) can pay a lot more than £150 a year.

I think the bigger cocern should be that in this country so many pensioners cannot afford 50p per day.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
          Agree.

Back to OP, we are conflating 2 issues here.

GO imposed this change in funding on the BBC.

I know readers of the hate DM will be 'outraged' but retirees on low income are not affected.

Remember the licence fee also funds BBC Radio. During the Cricket World Cup I listen to a lot of TMS because I choose not to pay Sky's exorbitant charges.

Curious if all the 'outraged' DM readers would be prepared to pay an additional surcharge for all additional TVs in their homes.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Agree.

I know readers of the hate DM will be 'outraged' but retirees on low income are not affected.

Remember the licence fee also funds BBC Radio. During the Cricket World Cup I listen to a lot of TMS because I choose not to pay Sky's exorbitant charges.

Curious if all the 'outraged' DM readers would be prepared to pay an additional surcharge for all additional TVs in their homes.

Annie
            A great read is the HYS (Have Your Say) on the BBC website. The amount of comments from people that think the BBC is useless and never watch or use it is quite staggering
            Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 10th June 2019, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I think BBC programmes are far better than anything else on TV. I love iPlayer and can always find something interesting to watch.

Comment

With a very wide choice of TV channels, Canadian and American, I find that most programmes I watch are originally from BBC. The standard is so much better when they do not have to pander to advertisers. I can understand why some people are not fans because many of the programmes require concentration and a certain level of understanding. They do not cater to the lowest common denominator. I am sure not all programmes are of the same standard, probably only the best ones make it across the Atlantic.

I am generally in favour of helping people who need help, not giving hand outs to seniors just because they are old.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
                  Only if you receive pension credit and cannot afford it. But what about those that have saved a little bit and not eligible for pension credit but on the cusp of receiving it? A lot of women are surviving longer and are on their own. Quite often the TV is the only bit of company. We already have a problem with mental health and loneliness in the elderly in this country. These people have most often worked all their lives and get very little. What next the free bus pass, so they can sit at home, unable to afford bus fares and being unable to do their shopping?

I think it is a terrible thing to do. The BBC must be made to fund themselves like every other channel.

Comment

Perhaps they should have reviewed the salaries they pay instead?

How much will it cost to administer, will they actually release any cash or is it a concept that reflects the current political nature of the BBC?

John

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Agree.

Annie
                      Goodness knows what all of the abbreviations mean.

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                        With a very wide choice of TV channels, Canadian and American, I find that most programmes I watch are originally from BBC. The standard is so much better when they do not have to pander to advertisers. I can understand why some people are not fans because many of the programmes require concentration and a certain level of understanding. They do not cater to the lowest common denominator.
                        The Apprentice, Dragons Den, The Voice, Strictly Come Dancing, Young Dancer, Eurovision Song Contest ???

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
                          Do you agree the BBC should be self funding through advertising and the licence should be scrapped for all?, That is one way you would get good programming, as if they had to raise funds for advertising, unless programmes were good, advertisers would not buy.
                          They don't have to be good programs just watched.

Comment

I think the BBC should be self funding. I loathe paying my tv license when I pay for Sky and we also have Netflix. We watch extremely little BBC programmes.

As for the recent change. Yes I’m for it for rich pensioners. My mother in law certainly doesn’t need a free license. Same as she absolutely does not need a winter fuel payment.

My nan on the other hand would be affected and would struggle to pay for the companion in the corner of her front room.
                            But then I do see that having paid taxes all your life you should have some perks.

im sure they will backtrack after morning television. Piers Morgan is going absolutely mental about it and the impact on our veterans and the elderly. GMB are starting a campaign. X
                            Last edited by cymrucruiser; 11th June 2019, 07:05 AM.
                            Past cruises:
                            Carnival Conquest October 2002
                            Independence of the Seas October 2012
                            Independence of the Seas May 2014
                            Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                            Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post

I think the BBC should be self funding. I loathe paying my tv license when I pay for Sky and we also have Netflix. We watch extremely little BBC programmes.

As for the recent change. Yes I’m for it for rich pensioners. My mother in law certainly doesn’t need a free license. Same as she absolutely does not need a winter fuel payment.

My nan on the other hand would be affected and would struggle to pay for the companion in the corner of her front room.
                              But then I do see that having paid taxes all your life you should have some perks.

im sure they will backtrack after morning television. Piers Morgan is going absolutely mental about it and the impact on our veterans and the elderly. GMB are starting a campaign. X
                              Having bought a TV license for the last 52 years is it not unreasonable to keep my free TV license for the last few years of life on this planet?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X