• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fake Reviews!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Fake Reviews!

    I just came across such a bad Fake review that I had to comment about it. It is called “Hope I Win” and it consists entirely of random keystrokes. A two year old would have had a better chance of actually typing a coherent word or two than this idiot. There are rather a lot of bogus reviews on the main part of the site at the moment but this one takes the biscuit. I still read the genuine reviews but obviously prefer the blogs and reviews written on the forum, which generally have pictures attached which make for great reading. Do any of you still read the reviews or do you steer clear for various reasons ?

    Take care, Helen💻🤨

    #2
    Yes Helen, I find reviews very useful. I particularity use TripAdvisor for hotel ratings.

    However I do not look at one review or two, I look for the trends. There is always a very poor review and a great review, plus many in-between, on all products. However if 90 reviews out of a hundred are 'good' or 'very good', you can be pretty sure that the product is at least 'good'.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

    Comment


      #3
      I don't often read reviews as I get really cross with the 'nit pickers' who seem to think every small inconvenience is a major issue. I mainly read the good reviews. I gave up writing reviews a couple of years ago because I got so much flack just because we sail Seabourn. Judith

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
        I just came across such a bad Fake review that I had to comment about it. It is called “Hope I Win” and it consists entirely of random keystrokes. A two year old would have had a better chance of actually typing a coherent word or two than this idiot. There are rather a lot of bogus reviews on the main part of the site at the moment but this one takes the biscuit. I still read the genuine reviews but obviously prefer the blogs and reviews written on the forum, which generally have pictures attached which make for great reading. Do any of you still read the reviews or do you steer clear for various reasons ?

        Take care, Helen💻🤨
        I think I've ventured onto that part of the site maybe less times than I have digits. I don't find it easy to read and like you I do enjoy the blogs and reviews on the forum which are accompanied with the odd photo.
        www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

        Comment


          #5
          We have over the years found trip advisor useful, and read a few reviews of hotels or restaurants we are interested in to get a broad overview, however we may need to reconsider after seeing this in the Times yesterday:

          https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...tars-027fbcwc8

          https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/732157...urant-ratings/

          as it a subscription service you cant see all the article and so I have posted another link, it does go on to say that the founder and CEO was paid $48 million last year.

          John

          Comment


            #6
            I think when idiotic reviews were posted for apparent comps., and out right warfare started with responses/comments between a couple of prats, was the time I decided that part of the site was an unmoderated mess

            As for Trip Advisor, we have a friend who has a very well respected and loved restaurant. It's an eye opener listening to her tell stories about T.A and how it can affect businesses.

            It's easy for us to stand back and say one bad review amongst tens of 5* comments doesn't put us off, but it can affect ratings and positions.I wouldn't dream of using the site.
            Last edited by Mrs M; 23rd September 2018, 07:30 AM.

            Comment


              #7
              I used to read t he reviews on this site but was also put off by the rude responses to some of them and the obvious attempts by some nasty people to attack the reviewer.

              I rarely look at that part of the site now. As others have said, it is much better to read reviews and blogs with photos here on the forum.
              Jill

              Comment


                #8
                I rarely look either but just did to see what was happening. There is an even more stupid one with the same line repeated over and over again. Does the site just send a book to anyone submitting the required number of words because that sounds like a waste of money to me. Obviously no-one is monitoring the content or they wouldn't be published.

                The best reviews are right here from members who want to share their experiences with others who will benefit and really enjoy their journeys. There are some amazing bloggers on here and some wonderful photographers too so I will stick to the forum for useful information...Carol
                Last edited by Guy, Ormskirk; 25th September 2018, 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling error

                Comment


                  #9
                  If I have booked a cruise on a ship I have not travelled on before, then I will go looking for reviews. But as for reading them as a matter of course, no I just dont bother anymore. I get really bored with comments such as the food was great, the cabin was nice. BUT Well tell me why....., tell me what it was like. What someone thinks great or nice might not be my idea of good.

                  I do like the blogs with photos and hence why I myself tend to be overly detailed because if I were reading thats the sort of info I would want to know. Some may find that overbearingly OTT but depends what you want to know.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                    If I have booked a cruise on a ship I have not travelled on before, then I will go looking for reviews. But as for reading them as a matter of course, no I just dont bother anymore. I get really bored with comments such as the food was great, the cabin was nice. BUT Well tell me why....., tell me what it was like. What someone thinks great or nice might not be my idea of good.

                    I do like the blogs with photos and hence why I myself tend to be overly detailed because if I were reading thats the sort of info I would want to know. Some may find that overbearingly OTT but depends what you want to know.
                    I see a lot of that on the FB cruise groups. The original poster asks questions about a particular ship or itinerary and a lot of people just come in with "it was great". That seems to be an utterly pointless response to me. I'll make a comment if I have something to say, but can't see any value in repeating what someone else has said.
                    2018-
                    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

                    2019 -
                    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

                    2020 -
                    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                    Magellan - Panama Canal

                    Comment


                      #11
                      When I first started cruising I used to read them a lot but not at all now, just too many people saying their holiday was "ruined" because there wasn't enough ice in their cabin or something equally as pathetic!!! Helpful advice seemed to become a bit thin on the ground.
                      Blogs and reviews on this side of the forum are more detailed as to what a cruiser needs to know, and perhaps have more influence?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Never look at reviews on the main site and if I ever look at trip advisor, I ignore both the 1* and 5* reviews.

                        I do read the forum blogs of which there are some excellent ones, although much prefer if they also include photos.
                        Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 23rd September 2018, 10:36 AM.
                        Delboy


                        Photo Albums

                        https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

                        or

                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                          Never look at reviews on the main site and if I ever look at trip advisor, I ignore both the 1* and 5* reviews.

                          I do read the forum blogs of which there are some excellent ones, although much prefer if they also include photos.
                          I agree, some forum reviews and blogs are a far better way of gaining an insight into cruise ships although I prefer to know the reviewer/blogger's experience so I can put subjective views into perspective. Actually, that's another reason why TA and reviews on the CD review pages hold no interest for me. I don't know the yardstick by which they're measuring the experience.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Must say some of the reviews really make me laugh - there are small things which turn in to a full blown crisis!

                            I put a few comments about this on Facebook earlier in the week:

                            Bizarre cruise whinge #116656568

                            "The ship is like a ferry, people get on and off every time it docks"

                            No ****, Sheila. Generally when a ship docks people get off and have a look where they are then get back on. Some of them have finished their cruise and go home and are replaced by new people. How does that impact you when you're on a hop-on hop-off bus?



                            Bizarre cruise whinge #116656566
                            "The entertainment was provided by the onboard team"

                            Did Mrs Smith expect the Spice Girls to parachute on to the top deck to provide a show and then swim home after?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              When I am looking at a certain area to cruise and identified a ship I check out the reviews for the area to see how people coped when going ashore, e.g walking, shuttles, self or ship excursion etc. If a review is well written and it details ports it can be a great resource for information. I find it annoying when the rubbish is allowed to remain on the site but even more perplexing is the number of 'likes' some of these get! I no longer write reviews and haven't done for a couple of years. Just read the 'hope I win' states '28 out of 34 found this useful'! The mind boggles.
                              Last edited by cruiser, Larne; 23rd September 2018, 06:22 PM.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X