• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitness to travel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitness to travel

I tend to worry about everything before I go on cruise and that sometimes manifests itself in my health. A colleague of mine always says I have something just before every cruise, be it a toothache or some other minor ailment, which I need to trot off to the dentist or GP. I worry that being on a cruise in the middle of the ocean that something will appear that will need to be treated on the cruise.

Does anybody else get wound up like this, or am I on my own?

I don’t get wound up about it but it’s always a concern that someday something “might” happen at sea but until that day comes, I’ll continue to have the positive thoughts. If anything concerns me, it’s leaving the kids ( 20 and 22) at home on their own and what condition the house will be in when we come back.

Comment

Does anybody else get wound up like this, or am I on my own?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the older we get the more chance there is of being taken ill whilst on a holiday. After all it is often when you wind down and relax that illness strikes. When I had a heart attack whilst on Celebrity I was actually pleased that it happened there as I was much closer to their on-board hospital that I would be from my local hospital at home and I had the undivided attention of two doctors and a nurse for as long as it took. All I would say is don't scrimp on your insurance, declare all your ailments, choose a company with a good claims record, not a cheap premium and hope that you never have to use it.

Comment

I know insurance premiums can be eye watering but the peace of mind has to be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kernow, Penzance View Post
          I know insurance premiums can be eye watering but the peace of mind has to be worth it.
          We are with Saga and we hope to never have to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by zopadooper, skegness (2) View Post
            Unfortunately, the older we get the more chance there is of being taken ill whilst on a holiday. After all it is often when you wind down and relax that illness strikes. When I had a heart attack whilst on Celebrity I was actually pleased that it happened there as I was much closer to their on-board hospital that I would be from my local hospital at home and I had the undivided attention of two doctors and a nurse for as long as it took. All I would say is don't scrimp on your insurance, declare all your ailments, choose a company with a good claims record, not a cheap premium and hope that you never have to use it.

[/QUOTE]

Well said

Comment

I make sure I have all my prescriptions filled before we travel and my hubby makes sure our insurance is up to date. I try not to worry as that would spoil the holiday. Two years ago, before our first cruise on Azura, I had torn the meniscus in my right knee. I had to wear one of those huge “cricket pad”splints to stabilise my leg as well as walk around with crutches. The day before we travelled I bumped into a fellow parishioner who happens to be a knee surgeon. He asked me what had happened and when I told him he said to get rid of the splint, keep doing my exercises , and to enjoy my cruise. I did as prescribed and had a great time, although I did still need a crutch.

Take care, Helen

Comment

So far the worst that happened was coming down with a respiratory infection on board ship. I was fine when I boarded in Dubai, but another passenger told me that quite a few passengers started to become unwell in India. I was given antibiotics and steroids but not confined to cabin.

A friend got to her hotel in Harwich and was fine. She woke up unwell the next morning but went to the ship anyway. She declared it and saw the doctor who let her board but confined her to cabin. Her insurance refunded the cost of the cruise as she had spent most of it in her tiny cabin.
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We've used the onboard medical facilities twice now, once for a bad burn blister from a spilt cup of MacDonald coffee on the journey down and once for a bursitis on an elbow from a knock on the bedside table which thankfully wasn't anything like as dramatic as it looked at the time. On both occasions the attention and treatment was fantastic and it has filled me with confidence that should I need any care onboard, that they will be more than up to the task.
                  Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
                    I tend to worry about everything before I go on cruise and that sometimes manifests itself in my health. A colleague of mine always says I have something just before every cruise, be it a toothache or some other minor ailment, which I need to trot off to the dentist or GP. I worry that being on a cruise in the middle of the ocean that something will appear that will need to be treated on the cruise.

One very good reason for choosing a cruise for a holiday, you know there will be excellent medical facilities on board. Imagine the stress of being taken ill in a country where little English is spoken.

Comment

Fortunately we have not needed medical care - yet! We've had dinner with the ship's doctor and he was very reassuring. I have a small filling in a front tooth which is a bit insecure. The doctor assured me that he could do the filling if it fell out. Of course it was fine, until we were in Vancouver airport, when the filling fell out. Typical!

Comment

Both my father and father in law died whilst on holiday abroad, from heart attacks. In both cases, I feel sure they would have had a chance of surviving had they received prompt treatment. This is one of the reasons I choose cruises over land based holidays because I know there will be well qualified medical staff on hand. I wouldn't dream of travelling without good insurance. Knowing that I'll be looked after if something should happen allows me to go away care free.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

One very good reason for choosing a cruise for a holiday, you know there will be excellent medical facilities on board. Imagine the stress of being taken ill in a country where little English is spoken.
                          Hi John
                          If you took ill on a ship the ships doctor would have you off the ship as soon as you sign for his fee,straight into the foreign hospital where little English is spoken.
                          Iv'e never seen the ship medical centre as a long stay option.
                          JC
                          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                            Hi John
                            If you took ill on a ship the ships doctor would have you off the ship as soon as you sign for his fee,straight into the foreign hospital where little English is spoken.
                            Iv'e never seen the ship medical centre as a long stay option.
                            JC
                            Agreed but the ship's initial assessment/treatment may well be a life saver.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

Agreed but the ship's initial assessment/treatment may well be a life saver.
                              I visited a fellow tablemate in Victoria's medical centre every day when he became quite poorly on a TA, a day out of N.Y. I was amazed at exactly how well equipped it was. A true mini hospital.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X