• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"And now for something completely different"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"And now for something completely different"

Having enjoyed the serenity of the Yacht Club on MSC’s Preziosa and Emerald Waterways, our next adventure will be something of a culture shock. We are booked on the Harmony of the Seas as it sails from Barcelona on 23rd October to her home port of Fort Lauderdale.

So from two cruises where we have shared our experience with under 200 fellow passengers we now have almost 6000 that we can annoy!

Having booked the cruise back in April 2015 we joined the Roll Call on another forum, which is rather active. So far there have been over 23000 posts and we still have a week before we sail!

On the cruise there is a hard core of regular Royal Caribbean Trans-Atlantic cruisers, many have already done the previous Oasis Class TA’s and know each other. They are so organised they have their own website and run a programme of activities, in addition to those run by Royal Caribbean. As a result we have had to do a spreadsheet to make sure that our events don’t clash and we know where we need to be and when. Of almost 30 activities, so far, we have signed up for the Sailaway Party, “Meet and Mingle”, Cabin Crawl, Gift Exchange, Pink Boa Luncheon, Trash, Mah jong for Beginners, Scavenger Hunt, Ipad Tips, Photo Club and Slot Pull. All of these are in addition to the six beading classes Linda is running. How we are going to find the time to sample the 15 dining venues and 17 bars I don’t know? Perhaps the Pub Crawl/Poker Run will help!

We even managed to attend a pre-cruise lunch in Florida – though only as “flat people”! For the uninitiated, they print photographs of those unable to attend in person and take them to the meal.

All of this in addition to Royal Caribbean entertainment including “The Escape Room”, “Grease”, “Columbus the Musical”, four headliner performances, the Aqua theatre and Ice shows are certainly going to ensure that there is no way we could ever be bored.

You will perhaps understand why it is unlikely we will be doing a regular live blog. Rest assured however, we shall provide you with reports on the ship, life on board and the Transatlantic experience when we have recovered (sometime in November!).
    Cheers Drew and Linda

Have a great time both of you. I admit it is not my idea of a cruise, but then I am a lot older than you! Judith

Comment

We are on this cruise with you and have been following the roll call on the other forum.

We have not been on an Oasis class ship before but really looking forward to it. We could not get an accessible balcony cabin as they were all booked so we have a "virtual" balcony cabin which will be interesting.

Flying out next Saturday with Monarch and flying back with Thomas Cook.

See you on board very soon

Michelle

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut, Halifax View Post
        We are on this cruise with you and have been following the roll call on the other forum.

We have not been on an Oasis class ship before but really looking forward to it. We could not get an accessible balcony cabin as they were all booked so we have a "virtual" balcony cabin which will be interesting.

Flying out next Saturday with Monarch and flying back with Thomas Cook.

See you on board very soon

Michelle
        Hi Michelle we're flying back with Thomas Cook on the Sunday 6th Nov as they do a reasonably price flight direct to Manchester but heading out to Barcelona on Thursday with Jet2. Our first Oasis class ship too and we have got a Central Park balcony.
        Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
          Have a great time both of you. I admit it is not my idea of a cruise, but then I am a lot older than you! Judith
          I've deliberately left my afternoons free in case I need a nap as I'm 7 years older than Drew and think I might need to catch my breath! Lots of us in our late 60's so not spring chickens!
          Cheers Drew and Linda

Comment

I am exhausted at the scale of your activities - enjoy all of it!

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Hi drewlin
              I've done a b2b on Oasis in a CP balcony and am pretty certain you'll love it.
              The only difference being with our cruise and yours is that everyone got off each day so the ship never felt crowded at any time.
              It will be interesting to hear how well you cope with being onboard for the crossing and all those s days.

Enjoy and I for one will await your review when you've recovered enough to write one.

Regards
              Garfield
              Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 15th October 2016, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I will look forward to your review, I have always enjoyed the ones in the past.

I am exhausted just reading what you are planning to do, it will certainly keep you busy....Carol

Comment

Have the most amazing time, I'll be thinking of you.
                  Im having a general feel sorry for myself day. We should be on Eurostar right now zipping through France and boarding harmony tomorrow.
                  😓😓

roll on oasis 4! Can't wait for booking to open.

Comment

Originally posted by drewlin, wigan View Post

So from two cruises where we have shared our experience with under 200 fellow passengers we now have almost 6000 that we can annoy!
                    Well done Drew and Linda, variety is the spice of life!

I have now done a river cruise (180 passengers), cruised on some smaller cruise ships and also done some mega-ships like 'Oasis'.

I can honestly say that I enjoyed them all - they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

It's a bit like the 'corner shop' versus the 'hyper-market', I like them both and use the both, for different reasons.

The 'Oasis' class is the most remarkable design of ship afloat.

Most of you have probably already read my 'Oasis' review, if you were interested, or avoided it like the plague: http://wp.me/PfRKD-Bg
                    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 15th October 2016, 01:13 PM.
                    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Yet to experience cruising with 6000 pax.....still apprehensive to try them. Enjoy and look forward to your review!

Comment

I do enjoy the transatlantics, and am due for another next week.

I've done them with RCI and NCL, and definitely prefer RCI. There have always been enough daytime activities to keep me happy. Not so much on Epic.

I have to admit to usually making up a spreadsheet before I go, with space for on board additions. I find it useful to have a print out of the itinerary with the pre-planned activities.
                        2018-
                        Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                        NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                        Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                        Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                        Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you